advertisement

Winter tyres - the ADAC's annual assessment

I have driven for 55 years. I have never 'left the road', 'lost control', or failed to reach my destination, for any weather related, or tyre related issue.
I have also never felt the need to fit 'winter tyres'.
Admittedly, my commutes were rarely more than a 40 mile round trip, but I've also driven the length and breadth of the country and abroad.

The point is I managed this amazing feat through either sheer dumb luck...or driving according to conditions, along with the capabilities of the vehicle, plus a recognition of the limits to my own vehicle handling skills.
I'm not a racing driver so I don't try to be.

Reactions: Cav
Incidentally, another wrong assumption.
Well, I'm surprised - you do seem to exhibit comparatively little understanding of the conditions, and the disproportionality of what you're advocating. It's a not unreasonable assumption that you live somewhere with considerably harsher winter conditions than most of the UK. But seeing as you know what we're facing, then I'm going to refer you to what m'learned friend hifilover1979 said about your post, and that I concur with his, rather pithy, assessment of it.

Alternatively, maybe you're a tyre retailer...?

Well, I'm surprised - you do seem to exhibit comparatively little understanding of the conditions, and the disproportionality of what you're advocating. It's a not unreasonable assumption that you live somewhere with considerably harsher winter conditions than most of the UK. But seeing as you know what we're facing, then I'm going to refer you to what m'learned friend hifilover1979 said about your post, and that I concur with his, rather pithy, assessment of it.

Alternatively, maybe you're a tyre retailer...?
Hope you at least know what they say about assumptions?
Now, you did have a good thought about those Cross Climates!

I have driven for 55 years. I have never 'left the road', 'lost control', or failed to reach my destination, for any weather related, or tyre related issue.
I have also never felt the need to fit 'winter tyres'.
Admittedly, my commutes were rarely more than a 40 mile round trip, but I've also driven the length and breadth of the country and abroad.

The point is I managed this amazing feat through either sheer dumb luck...or driving according to conditions, along with the capabilities of the vehicle, plus a recognition of the limits to my own vehicle handling skills.
I'm not a racing driver so I don't try to be.
Yebbut what about the trail of mayhem & destruction you leave in your wake?

A friend who until recently lived up the road in Mr Lockhart's village got around with absolutely no difficulty in the snowiest conditions. He's got an old Morris Minor with skinny tyres, & when it snows he sticks a bag of sand in the boot.

Yebbut what about the trail of mayhem & destruction you leave in your wake?

A friend who until recently lived up the road in Mr Lockhart's village got around with absolutely no difficulty in the snowiest conditions. He's got an old Morris Minor with skinny tyres, & when it snows he sticks a bag of sand in the boot.
Skinny tyres make a huge positive difference. I've as before that when I used to drive small hatches in the 80s and we had proper winters and no snow tyres, we did fine.

Skinny tyres make a huge positive difference. I've as before that when I used to drive small hatches in the 80s and we had proper winters and no snow tyres, we did fine.
I agree, and if I were ever to specify a set of Winters, I'd probably choose the narrowest size specified for the car. But the other thing to recall is that, back in the 1980s, tyres were probably closer to 'all season' in spec - they had all the grooves and sipes we see on all-seasons nowadays - and 'summer' tyres with their big blocks of tread weren't really a thing, outside high-performance tyres like Pirelli P7 or Michelin TRX.

Trouble being, you can’t have skinny tyres on 18-20” rims. We need those rims for style and to fit over the larger brakes. We need larger brakes because we all generally do so much more with our cars now.

There’s a weird looking pick-up EV being made in the states, in a town called Normal, in Illinois, that weighs 3.2 tons empty. Can you begin to imagine that letting go on an icy road? Wouldn’t stop for three zip codes!

It can get chilly even in sunny Cornwall. My wife travelled from sea level Falmouth to a much
colder Bodmin Moor over three years. It was a hospital so who got to work and didn’t was always a huge canteen subject. Given the location with staff living in places a tractor could be needed, abuse was rife:)
In a new 2CV with its very skinny tyres and high clearances, she sailed through without missing a day.

Trouble being, you can’t have skinny tyres on 18-20” rims. We need those rims for style and to fit over the larger brakes. We need larger brakes because we all generally do so much more with our cars now.
Except that we don't! 30 years ago I had a Fiesta with disc front drum rear in which I did 15k miles a year at 80mph. Everywhere. I now have 1.6 tonnes of 245bhp Audi diesel in which I do 15-20k miles a year. More slowly.
I really, really don't need 245/40 x19 or whatever massive wheels I have fitted.

Also I think it's the bmw i3 that has something like 145x20 tyres. Looks weird. Clearly works.

It can get chilly even in sunny Cornwall. My wife travelled from sea level Falmouth to a much
colder Bodmin Moor over three years. It was a hospital so who got to work and didn’t was always a huge canteen subject. Given the location with staff living in places a tractor could be needed, abuse was rife:)
In a new 2CV with its very skinny tyres and high clearances, she sailed through without missing a day.
2CVs are legendary. They will go anywhere.

Except that we don't! 30 years ago I had a Fiesta with disc front drum rear in which I did 15k miles a year at 80mph. Everywhere. I now have 1.6 tonnes of 245bhp Audi diesel in which I do 15-20k miles a year. More slowly.
I really, really don't need 245/40 x19 or whatever massive wheels I have fitted.
I know which you’d rather have a drunk driver hit you in though! :)

My favourite was an oldish Peugeot Partner. It had skinny all climates on it. It would go anywhere. I used to use it on tracks, floods and snow. Had a particular soft spot for the unbelievably flimsy and shoddy glove box lid.
Anyway I’m by far the best driver on pfm and this proves it.

France has a requirement for chains in Alpine areas, they are a pain to put on but once on you can drive a car up Mont Blanc. They're an order of magnitude ahead of winter tyres, but of course you have to stop and remove tem if the snow runs out.

The requirement is becoming much more widespread this year, under the “loi montagne.”
You need suitable tyres, or chains.

Chains are unusable for most of us in the U.K. I can’t remember the last time there was enough snow to warrant them over a large enough area to not require them to be fitted/removed/fitted/removed etc. And then you’d find yourself trapped in a queue while those ahead stop to remove them, then another while those ahead stop to fit them again.

Most of you guys can afford winter tyres, so buy some. You may live in areas with little snow, but remember that even one snowy morning per winter justifies fitting them. Do it in November, so you’re on the safe side. Worrying all winter about getting stuck on a busy road with summer tyres, blocking traffic ? Not for me, thanks.

advertisement

Back