advertisement

Will we get charged tax / Vat from EU to UK now?

We have had a first class experience with HMRC. GB EORI export number was received online in minutes, enabling us to send parcels from France and Germany to UK.

We have had a terrible experience with both the Douane under the French Post Office and Zoll under DHL, neither of which have a fvcking clue what is going on, sending all our parcels back to us in the EU, even though all boxes are labelled correctly, and some of which were sent way before Dec 31.

All I know is, if I'm buying secondhand hifi from ebay uk to be delivered to Ireland, A piece of hifi for £1500, i will have to pay £331.90 in import charges!!! Totally ridiculous, it time to close my Ebay and Amazon uk accounts.
I have been studying the e bay ads for a week or 2 and before the @deal' was announced e bay were estimating import charges on a listing if I purchased fro uk [I am in france] but now it looks as though that's changed and there is no import charge on goods coming from uk-france ? I don't know if this is only on second hand goods, pointless asking ebay to clarify..

Not sure if anyone has ordered records from EU and they have been charged VAT and customs duty? I’ve made the error of ordering some high value ones from independent sellers in Germany without checking all details on these taxation changes and now a bit scared of getting slapped a heafty bill.

I ordered something from Momox (Germany) and it arrived today all fine. Have also placed an order with jpc.de and am waiting to see what happens to that - no VAT charged on purchase and was cheaper to purchase without the German VAT (Umsatz-/Mehrwertsteuer) added.

I ordered something from Momox (Germany) and it arrived today all fine. Have also placed an order with jpc.de and am waiting to see what happens to that - no VAT charged on purchase and was cheaper to purchase without the German VAT (Umsatz-/Mehrwertsteuer) added.

That’s good to know, thanks. Let’s hope I don’t get charged either. There’s loads of conflicting information out there.

If thegoods are over the VAT threshold then you should get charged. Might take a while for the systems to get up and running which is why there could be some deliveries slipping through the net

If thegoods are over the VAT threshold then you should get charged. Might take a while for the systems to get up and running which is why there could be some deliveries slipping through the net

Yeah I think that’s the case. Do you know what that threshold is? I saw a few articles but a bit confusing.

So my jpc order arrived and no extra charges - got 55 classical / opera cds for 54 Euros but I fear it will be harder to score little wins like that soon.

Just got an email from Portugal Vineyards. I order from them regularly. Here's an excerpt.

"In the end a bottle of Vidigal Porta 6 that in the past was around 4.7 GBP with all taxes and shipping included, will be now between 7 and 8 GBP depending on the number of bottles ordered."

Just got an email from Portugal Vineyards.

I have used Vinissimus (or however they spell it), and their website is closed to UK orders with a notice saying that they hope to be offering a service in early January............................
Presumably the difference in the case of the Port is duty difference UK v. Portugal??????? VAT will be very similar I would have thought as that has set EU limits and the limits aren't widely seperated.

As for the low threshold abolition - how will that affect the almost countless packets entering the UK from China with under £5 purchase price, let alone under £15?

No Hype Audio - an excellent Belgian reseller of affordable 'boutique' pro audio gear have posted on their homepage that due to Brexit they cannot accept orders from the UK of less than EUR 150.

No Hype Audio - an excellent Belgian reseller of affordable 'boutique' pro audio gear have posted on their homepage that due to Brexit they cannot accept orders from the UK of less than EUR 150.
That's probably because they aren't UK vat registered and have to charge VAT on sales under £135 and pay it to the UK govt. Over £135 (about 150 euro) VAT is paid directly by the receiver.

Not from Germany to Ireland it won't

How things will pan out eventually is difficult to say, and if anything goes Germany-Ireland direct, it should be OK, but anything travelling by surface route will at least get held up and prices will rise at the moment - that much was stated by a large freight business in Scotland about 2 weeks ago.

advertisement

Back