advertisement

Will Rega Brio-R give me sweet engaging sound?

dunnoguit

pfm Member
Last year I bought a pair of Q Acoustics 2010i because of you guys;) It was very engaging sound but a tad polite and no enough bass. So I changed to Dynaudio Emit M10 recently which I like a lot. But I kinda miss the engaging sound of Q Acoustics 2010i. So will Rega Brio-R bring back that engaging sound to my current speakers?:)

I've been using the Brio R for the past few years now and have used it with a few different speakers . IMO it is a very communicative and musical amp and I'm pretty sure it will give you what you're looking for .

You may want to try the 2020i speakers also, have the same communication with a larger scale, lovely speakers, the Rega is a nice little amp but if your finding things a little polite you may want to look elsewhere, it is an intimate, involving little amp but lacks a little punch i found, the same money buys you a Naim Nait 2, personally, having had both in my home at the same time, the Naim is on another level, pure music without the artifice, i cannot recommend it highly enough, if you want the rega, look for a pair of punchy speakers to match such as the Rega RS1, superb match.

I have the dynaudio speaker which is punchy enough. To be honest, Dynaudio satisfies me. Just want to get some sound character of Q Acoustics for my system, that's all. Maybe I'm asking too much?

I suppose if you could get hold of a second hand unit, you could always sell it on with no loss if not suitable, it may be just what your looking for in your circumstances, it's a good time of year to purchase then sell on in Aug/Sept if you need to.

I d take anyday a nait2 over it,obviously a serviced unit would cost as much as Twice.
If funds don T allow then the brio gets my vote, it s that good for that money.

I recently purchased the Dynaudio Emit 10s and think they are excellent. They are partnered with the Acram A19 amp which I think is a good match.

The RS1s and Brio-R are an excellent match. Great detail and musicality. A touch on the warm side but that's what you get with Rega. Its phono stage is superb too, for the price.

I'm biased as I love this combination. They may not quite have the bass you're looking for, but will really make your music a joy to listen to. Worth a demo at any rate

I recently purchased the Dynaudio Emit 10s and think they are excellent. They are partnered with the Acram A19 amp which I think is a good match.

Arcam A19 and Quad Elite INT are also my alternatives. People say A19 is kind of clinical. Would it be? And anyone has experience with Quad Elite Int?

Maybe not the case with your specific speakers but I think typically Dynaudio's are more on the laid back side & not sure if the Brio would be the best match? Typically here, Dynaudio is usually paired with Simaudio gear, which seems to make a great pairing.

I have a Brio R in a second system, first paired with Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's then/currently Neat Motive 3's. To me, I wasn't super impressed with either pairings, seemed to lack too much in the top end/detail & too laid back for me. The Neats were slightly better but still not great to me. I was using the stock power cord, connected to a DIY power bar (Hubbell outlets & some cable I had left over from a Monster Power power bar I threw out). I swapped to a Rega clone power cord & swapped the cord on my DIY powerbar with the same & to my surprise, it made a massive difference. Is now a very enjoyable setup & have no desire to try something else (which I did before the change). Been ~ a year & still enjoying the setup now. Not sure if it was the stock cord or the Monster power cord, but for me it made a massive difference. Before the change, couldn't understand what all the fuss was about on the Brio R (or just thought it wasn't a good match for me).

Why don't you go and listen to a few amps and then you will know for sure, rather than relying on other people's impressions.

I bought a secondhand Brio-R and paired it with Epos Elan 10, mostly playing sources through a NAD 1050 DAC, though I did run a Debut Carbon to check the phono stage. It's a very capable little integrated. I really liked it a lot. Subjectively, I couldn't stand it without a sub, but I don't like much of anything without a sub. It comes to life, like many amps of this class, around the 10-11am spot on the volume dial. Lower volume listening can be anemic. The Brio resolves detail well, but the amp I upgraded to, the Exposure 2010s2, handily had the Brio for lunch without breaking sweat. Still, it's a great little amp that's very hard to fault. I'd buy it again for a desktop system. In the room I want more beef.

I bought a secondhand Brio-R and paired it with Epos Elan 10, mostly playing sources through a NAD 1050 DAC, though I did run a Debut Carbon to check the phono stage. It's a very capable little integrated. I really liked it a lot. Subjectively, I couldn't stand it without a sub, but I don't like much of anything without a sub. It comes to life, like many amps of this class, around the 10-11am spot on the volume dial. Lower volume listening can be anemic. The Brio resolves detail well, but the amp I upgraded to, the Exposure 2010s2, handily had the Brio for lunch without breaking sweat. Still, it's a great little amp that's very hard to fault. I'd buy it again for a desktop system. In the room I want more beef.
Apologies for butting in, how would you say the Exposure compares sonically.

Apologies for butting in, how would you say the Exposure compares sonically.

I've heard Exposure described as 'Naim like' with added warmth. I concur with Mark's verdict above although I have the beer-budget 1010 amp which is superb and IMO bests the Brio R which I have also owned. Excellent separation between instruments with more detail than I've heard in my previously owned amps. I believe the 2010 series is the sweet spot in the Exposure range but for budget money the 1010 comes highly recommended by me.

advertisement

Back