advertisement

Will Rega Brio-R give me sweet engaging sound?

Yes, it will. And that's exactly the problem;). Brio-R sounds a bit 'nice', as in not 'live' or 'dangerous', like for instance NAIT Two. It is a rather slick sounding amp. There's nothing to fault it.

I have not listened to the Rega Brio-R but have owned the Elicit, the predecessor to the current Elicit-R. If the Rega house sound remains fairly similar, the words I would choose to describe the Rega would be "warm", "rounded", "lush" and "sweet" as opposed to Naim's "exciting", "detail", "separation", "attack", "timing" etc.

Both can sound great and one can sound *better* than the other depending on listening taste and preferences, not forgetting the speakers that will be matched to the amp and other factors which include the setup, room acoustics etc.

The Brio-r sounds like a completely different amp to the earlier Brio 2000, which i own & chose over the Brio-r, has a little more, well, Brio, get up & go, found the r a little laid back by comparison.

I heard someone comparing the Rega Brio R to the Pioneer A400 the other day. Well I had an A400 and thought it was a decent amp until I had a Nait 2.

Surely anyone thinking of getting a Brio R must consider a Nait 2 which is going to sound better for roughly the same price.

Charlie

I had a Brio-R driving the older version of the ATC SCM11. Many told me on here that it shouldn't work; it did. A fine sound and only replaced when I got the chance to buy some ATC SCM20 active towers. They're better, but not by that much !

Great little amp, which would, suit most music lovers in an average sized room.
I only exchanged my Brio-r for an Elex-r, because I was aware that i was missing some power.
Love the Elex-r for it's speed and power into my RX3's. Great match!

I only exchanged my Brio-r for an Elex-r, because I was aware that i was missing some power.

Often wondered would the Elex R suit my RX3's better than my Naim150x/122x.
I think the Elex R has more power. Then there is also the Exposure 2010 to consider.

I sold my Brio R for the same reason Ronaudio did. Felt it lacked a bit of slam but to be fair this was driving a large pair of standmounts at 4 ohm (Celestion A1). I appreciated it though in so many other ways that I ended up with the Elex R. I absolutely love this amp. Plenty of power and drives the A1's without a hitch. Lovely holographic feel to the music and boy does it hold a beat. Delighted owner here.

advertisement

Back