advertisement

Wilko Johnson RIP

Damn. An amazing muso with an amazing story. One of the best rock guitarists for sure. I will dig out some Dr. Feelgood vinyl later. RIP.

Sad but his determination and recovery was a lesson to all. Great legacy and wonderful "live" memories from all of his bands. Thank You Sir!

That's a real shame. He was my all time guitar hero, without doubt. Many great memories back to '75 when I first clapped eyes on him on the Naughty Rythms tour. Bollox.

Awful news. Of course he has a link to Pink Fish with his top doc. Stupidity will be played loud in due course.

Reactions: GT
This is a shock with him having been so ill a while back and then staging a miraculous recovery. Only 75 and a life well lived. Saw him with the Solid Senders in ‘78, and also at the outstanding Ian Dury memorial gig for Charlie Charles at the Town & Country in 1990. Then saw him countless times at the Cricketers at Oval, and Half Moon Putney. Chatted to his son who used to do his sound - great bloke. Seems Wilko had a very grounded family life. Worked his nuts off and a real character. Wilko you’re the best - love you man. RIP.

I'm fairly sure I am correct in saying that 'topoxforddoc' over on the WAM was a major part of the team that cured Wilco of his pancreatic cancer back around 2014; a really sad loss but glad that we got to hear more from him than we could have hoped for.

I was fairly obsessed with the Wilko Feelgoods whom I saw about 9 times between 1974 and 76 - the last, at Hammersmith Odeon being the most forgettable - the most dramatic being Cambridge Corn Exchange in October 1975. A unique moment in time.

A bit odd that his name is now emblazoned on a hundred UK high streets.

advertisement

Back