advertisement

Wilko Johnson RIP

I'm fairly sure I am correct in saying that 'topoxforddoc' over on the WAM was a major part of the team that cured Wilco of his pancreatic cancer back around 2014; a really sad loss but glad that we got to hear more from him than we could have hoped for.

Charlie is an active pink fisher and was kind enough to give me advice over the phone RE: my Dad when he was poorly. A great guy.

Terrible news. Saw Wilko play several times over the years and was privileged to meet him (and Norman Watt Roy) on a couple of occasions. Great guitarist and a nice guy too.
RIP Wilko.

I'm fairly sure I am correct in saying that 'topoxforddoc' over on the WAM was a major part of the team that cured Wilco of his pancreatic cancer back around 2014; a really sad loss but glad that we got to hear more from him than we could have hoped for.

He was, if memory serves me right he recognized that it wasn't the cancer that the Dr had originally diagnosed and got in touch with him..

As others have said, RIP and good news that the medics were able to get him back to health for a few more years doing what he wanted to do.

A sad loss but also good to recall that one of ours was able to help him gain those extra years.
RIP.

Charlie is an active pink fisher and was kind enough to give me advice over the phone RE: my Dad when he was poorly. A great guy.

Charlie was a huge help when my wife needed a new knee.
He will be truly gutted, he's lost a great guitarist & a friend

316407446_10227971653266691_6817421404916916927_n.jpg

Fresh off stage Wilko from 2012 when I blagged a radio interview with him for 103 The Eye.
Told how the band were massive in Japan, so Norms (bass player & former Blockhead, Norman Watt-Roy) thought it would be good to learn some Japanese.
Their Japanese promoter put on a posh dinner to celebrate a sell out tour.
As they were leaving Norms went up to him to say "Thank You" in Japanese, "Arigato"
But Norms had had a few & instead said "Origami!"
Swear I almost pissed my pants.
LEGEND

It has been a very sad couple of days for Wilks' family and friends. I heard about his passing yesterday morning and it has been a bit unreal.

Importantly he carried on playing until the very end. We were all together last month at The Shepherd's Bush Empire for what proved to be his last gig. His next gig would have been in the New Year at the 100 Club. Although we will all miss the music, I will miss his wit, his literary prowess and his sheer ordinariness. Wilks was not influenced by money and just wanted to play. Away from the stage, he was totally unassuming.

I wrote a few words today. I hope they give you a feel of what he was like as a human being.

https://www.facebook.com/charlie.ch...0&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&ref=notif

It has been a very sad couple of days for Wilks' family and friends. I heard about his passing yesterday morning and it has been a bit unreal.

Importantly he carried on playing until the very end. We were all together last month at The Shepherd's Bush Empire for what proved to be his last gig. His next gig would have been in the New Year at the 100 Club. Although we will all miss the music, I will miss his wit, his literary prowess and his sheer ordinariness. Wilks was not influenced by money and just wanted to play. Away from the stage, he was totally unassuming.

I wrote a few words today. I hope they give you a feel of what he was like as a human being.

https://www.facebook.com/charlie.ch...0&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&ref=notif
Unfortunately I’m not able to read that as we’re not Facebook ‘friends’ - have just sent you a friend request.

Mick

Good old Sarf Essix boy. Saw the Docs at Southampton University in the late 70’s. His guitaring is still pretty unique.
Thanks for the videos upthread!
RIP Wilko

advertisement

Back