advertisement

Wiim Ultra

I'm another one in the minority, have been using a wiim mini as a transport for just over a year and it hasn't put a foot wrong.
I'm not too fond of toslink tho and would prefer to use usb or i2s. I tried an ifi zen stream but it was very temperamental and unstable so it had to go back, pitty because when it was working, I liked it.
Which brings me to the ultra, it seems to be a more attractive package than the zen with better connectivity. Not sure what's holding me back.

Why not try a Pro?

I've a couple of Mini's but the Pro fairly easily best them in streaming. Unless you need the screen and the additional connectivity the Ultra appears to offer.

Why not try a Pro?

I've a couple of Mini's but the Pro fairly easily best them in streaming. Unless you need the screen and the additional connectivity the Ultra appears to offer.
I don't think the pro has usb or i2s out. So yes, its the connectivity of the ultra that appeals.

Wiim/Project
The small box from Pro-Ject is a streaming amplifier. Yes, that’s right. Made with the help of the people behind Wiim, it connects directly to the speaker terminals.
There’s a small amplifier built in to drive the speakers and a Wi-Fi streaming module that you control with an app on your mobile phone.
The streaming amplifier, shown here on a pair of Pro-Ject Speaker Box 5 S2 & connects most speakers with standard cable terminals on the back.
Lichtenegger believes it’s a low-cost solution that makes good speakers active while giving the user the benefit of streaming.

As he puts it: It’s better to create a smart solution for an already good pair of speakers than to waste money on a Bluetooth speaker.’

IMG_0808-scaled.jpeg

Question for those who have moved from pi based setups to Wiims. Can the two nicely coexist?

I currently have a couple of Pis running pi core player with the material skin, which I’m very happy with as a streamer, mostly local playback, a bit of tidal, would consider Apple Music if I could integrate it nicely. But I’m still thinking the ultra as a living room system to tie in the tv audio easily. Can this play alongside the other LMS based players on the network? Is there a way to drive them all off the same interface (I’m not paying for roon, despite thinking that may be the solution)

Question for those who have moved from pi based setups to Wiims. Can the two nicely coexist?

I currently have a couple of Pis running pi core player with the material skin, which I’m very happy with as a streamer, mostly local playback, a bit of tidal, would consider Apple Music if I could integrate it nicely. But I’m still thinking the ultra as a living room system to tie in the tv audio easily. Can this play alongside the other LMS based players on the network? Is there a way to drive them all off the same interface (I’m not paying for roon, despite thinking that may be the solution)
Pro and Pro Plus run Squeezelite.

Pro and Pro Plus run Squeezelite.
I'm looking at the Ultra or possibly the amp, I'm interested in the HDMI ARC functionality, so I can use it as a streamer/pre amp and trivially get the TV to play back through my decent speakers. My current Pi and TV running into an analogue pre amp (Sugden Headmaster) works fine for me, but I'd like to trivialise it for other family members so the pre turns on with the TV over HDMI ARC and volume just works from the TV remote. I can then trigger out the power amp on and off so it just becomes all autonomous.

The WiiM amp has analogue inputs so you could connect you Pi that way. Or connect your pre into the analogue inputs.

We use a WiiM amp with one of our TV's and the HDMI ARC works seamlessly - most users won't be aware there is an amp being used other than the improved sound quality.

Why not try a Pro?

In what way does the Pro best the Mini? For streaming that is? TVM.

advertisement

Back