advertisement

Wiim Ultra

Has anybody pre-ordered an Ultra? What is the best site to pre-order from do you think?
I hate to say it, as I'd rather support British business..... But Amazon will get a lot of stock and the returns process will be nice and easy if it's crap.

I hate to say it, as I'd rather support British business..... But Amazon will get a lot of stock and the returns process will be nice and easy if it's crap.
Hows this for an American system; British TT/CDP/power supply/speakers (Rega/Naim/ATC), French integrated (YBA), Chinese streamer (Wiim).

Very seriously considering one of these into a little hypex amp for my living room system of streamer and tv listening through my little ATC scm10s. Looks like it would be very simple, unobtrusive and just work with the tv remote so as not to confuse children and visiting in-laws.

Very seriously considering one of these into a little hypex amp for my living room system of streamer and tv listening through my little ATC scm10s. Looks like it would be very simple, unobtrusive and just work with the tv remote so as not to confuse children and visiting in-laws.
Why not go for the wiim amp then?

I'm using a WiiM amp with a pair of Rega R1 speakers in the living room system in our cottage. Via HDMI ARC it's seamless in use as the amp automatically wakes when the TV is turned on and the volume control from the TV remote works it. Other than the improved sound quality versus the TV alone then folks wouldn't really notice the amp was in use.

Wiim Streamer from Project ( 22.00mins )

436300357_991034206359670_3253615902857121902_n.jpg

Why not go for the wiim amp then?

I’d like a screen to see what is playing at a glance, I’m hoping the control knob can be used to skip and select tracks to some degree (may need a remote for that). I’m not a fan of headless music players with no display or hardware controls.

I'm using a WiiM amp with a pair of Rega R1 speakers in the living room system in our cottage. Via HDMI ARC it's seamless in use as the amp automatically wakes when the TV is turned on and the volume control from the TV remote works it. Other than the improved sound quality versus the TV alone then folks wouldn't really notice the amp was in use.
Exactly what I’m looking for. The Ultra would turn my amp on through its remote trigger out making for a tidy solution. There is the amp pro on the cards too as of autumn, no screen though.

Anyone know if volume control and L-R balance functionality is available on the digital outputs of the Ultra?

Now available for pre-order in the UK.

I notice the Pro plus has an AKM DAC while the Ultra has a Sabre DAC which some may not like. Would be interested to know if the sound is similar to the usual comparison of the two chips.

I notice the Pro plus has an AKM DAC while the Ultra has a Sabre DAC which some may not like. Would be interested to know if the sound is similar to the usual comparison of the two chips.
That's what I'm not keen on either, i prefer AKM to Sabre no matter how they're implemented, strange but there you are.

I know what you mean. One of the best British streamers is the Raspberry Pi. I might actually revisit it. A large number are made in the old Sony factory in Wales.

advertisement

Back