advertisement

Wiim Ultra

Will sell by the container Just add small pair of Active Speakers & all 99.9% of the planet will ever need
Have one on order for my desktop with Genelec G3s

Hi-Res streaming capabilities, advanced room correction, and smart home integration
HDMI ARC port and internal MM phono pre-amplifier.
Elegant aluminum case with 3.5” vibrant touchscreen display covered with glass
Stream Hi-Res music with the bit-perfect digital output or high-fidelity analog audio
Improved premium DAC
A rich selection of audio inputs and outputs

wiim-ultra.jpg

wilm-ultra-back.jpg
No balanced connections?

I'm happy with my WiiM Pro into a nDAC and wonder if there's any reason to get this. Other than the ability to hang a SSD drive off it (which might be nice) I can't see what else I'd gain. The screen doesn't have much appeal for me.

Will sell by the container Just add small pair of Active Speakers & all 99.9% of the planet will ever need
Have one on order for my desktop with Genelec G3s

Hi-Res streaming capabilities, advanced room correction, and smart home integration
HDMI ARC port and internal MM phono pre-amplifier.
Elegant aluminum case with 3.5” vibrant touchscreen display covered with glass
Stream Hi-Res music with the bit-perfect digital output or high-fidelity analog audio
Improved premium DAC
A rich selection of audio inputs and outputs

wiim-ultra.jpg

wilm-ultra-back.jpg
Are you contractually bound to purchase it? What if it turns out to be £10,000?

I see it as a potentially advanced Squeezebox Touch. With the Lyrion Media Sever(formerly Logitech still being developed, this could be Squeezebox Reborn, potentially. Though Wiim’s developing architecture is progressing nicely.

I see it as a potentially advanced Squeezebox Touch. With the Lyrion Media Sever(formerly Logitech still being developed, this could be Squeezebox Reborn, potentially. Though Wiim’s developing architecture is progressing nicely.
Let it go Del. The squeezebox touch was a dreadful little thing with a sticky remote. Things have moved on. Thank god

In a sonic sense, no. The Wiim is an excellent product with great software though, that's for sure.
I'm mostly just nettling you Oldy. Sorry. I do think that things have moved on for the better though

I've been hoping WiiM would bring out an upgraded version of the WiiM Pro that has HDMI ARC so as long as this isn't silly expensive (and I don't think it will be) I'll most likely get one for our living room system. That has a Squeezebox Touch at the moment that needs upgrading/replacing anyway, and I find the HDMI ARC functionality very useful on the WiiM Amp we have in another system that has a TV. I'd have been happy enough with a WiiM Pro with ARC though as I don't think it's use stuff like the phono (that system has a turntable but already has a separate phono amp) although I do like there being a screen.

The system that currently has the WiiM amp in it will be getting a turntable at some point so a WiiM Amp Ultra (i.e. the Ultra with a power amp) would have been ideal as a simple single-box solution for that.

I've got a WiiM Pro in another system that doesn't have a TV and it's a good bit of kit and also sounds decent.

I'm mostly just nettling you Oldy. Sorry. I do think that things have moved on for the better though
No apology needed - I tend not to bother about these things because it's only gear, and we all have our opinions. I really like my WP, and I would definitely be in the market for more Wiim gear because, well, it just works!

Stop being a wind up merchant Darren. Sound wise there’s little difference really and the Touch was ahead of its time.
Sorry Del. I do appreciate that audiophiles can be sensitive around their favourite kit.
Especially when it becomes a little antiquated and cranky.

The sticky issue wasn’t though my two touches never developed this condition. Sound wise they are still very competitive and the LMS server is well developed and continues to be developed. You could lash them to an external dac if you wishes and there are plug ins galore.

advertisement

Back