advertisement

Widor Toccata

Lovely thread, I have the Walcha boxed recordings of Bach On vinyl and they are a joy...owned since 1968.

With Regard to reproducing Organs music .... it was partly why i stuck with Isobariks... for some 10 years or so

the children loved Tocatta and Fugue in particular and recognised something was different about my record player! when organ music was on.

I have a beautiful foto of a child listening to a 'brik to understand how those notes and feelings could be coming out of a box....

ho la

lovely thread
Nice story! I considered Isobariks but was afraid for the cost of the Amps needed. My wife would have gone mad. Now I have SBLs which handle organmusic well too. However not as good as my Ovators.

All of it. Part 1 at introitus, Part 2 / 3 sub communione and Part 4 at the end - where it belongs.

I think I might undust some more French music, however my interest is more Sweelinck / Buxtehude / Bach. For myself, I get more enjoyment out of playing a French Suite, or a Fugue from Kunst der Fuge (latenight).

Still want to be able to play Vierne 2! Magnificent piece of music. Well composed. Ah, I should not forget Viernes Toccata from the Pieces de Fantaisie.
I know what you mean about the rewards of the Baroque stuff. Just takes me a long tome to learn it. I learnt the Vierne Toccata years ago but did not find it easy. Funnily enough I've never done the Finale from Symphony 1 and am learning it now. Finding it more rewarding than much of his music.

without going off topic too far. I always collected baroque music recordings back in binyl times even if the composer was unknown to me and kept my interest up...appropos of which I enjoyed (places helmet on head) Nigel Kennedy playing 4 Seasons at the Proms a few years back .. introducing IMO a credible a salon type presentation into Vivaldi.

Baroque played on modern instruments and with modern large orchestras led performance of such music in a misleading direction. However there are some performances on modern instruments that do cut my mustard. Monteverdis Vespers comes to mind. I definitely prefer Haydn salon sized and on 'original instruments'.

advertisement

Back