advertisement

Widor Toccata

George,

Yes, that made me happy for a number of reasons. First, it's very well played. Some nice subtleties woven in (and not too fast). Not sure about the near-stop in the recap...but overall superb. Second, I've played this piece on this very organ when a young boy. I'm from Manchester and this Cavaille-Coll is an old friend. I wonder when the recording was made? The organ is out of use at present as far as I know.

Thank you so much, George.

Dear Nic,

I am glad you enjoyed it. I do find there is a great deal of value on "youtube" if you are selective. I find it more use than any of the streaming services, even though they do offer superior technical quality. Of course sometimes a nice video gets deleted, but so what. Not everything needs revisiting ever more.

I doubt that Jonathan Scott's vids are going away fast though.

ATB from George

Some more on the Manchester Town Hall organ. Apparently the organ is still working but not in good condition, and will be closed shortly.

ATB from George

All this talk of Widor makes me realise there is a gap in my collection....can anyone recommend me a good modern recording of the Organ Symphony no 5? thanks

All this talk of Widor makes me realise there is a gap in my collection....can anyone recommend me a good modern recording of the Organ Symphony no 5? thanks

I definitely am not placed to give a sensible response, but perhaps Nic R or someone else will chime in!
Best wishes from George

Was in a big old Anglican church on Sunday in Torquay and listening to the organ was just sublime , many years ago we had widors toccata there for our wedding

When I had harpsichord lessons, I asked my teacher questions about the interpretation about music from Rameau. He said: 'it does not matter, but only a Frenchman can play this right'. I had a great lesson in culture that day.

Following this adagium, I must recommend a French organist playing Widor. I found in my collection (rather thin on French organ music), both Widor 5 and Widor 6 in one download:

3491421126177_300.jpg

At Qobus for 8.99 euros.

I have never listened this recording on my current setup until now, but I can recommend it - in Naim terminology: loads of PRAT - very precise and well timed (which is standard for Latry). My home office is clearly too small since I feel certain notes which I do not hear. I need to drag these loudspeakers to my living I'm afraid to fully hear this music.

This one has to be my favorite on the tube

Tempo and the way the big pipes growl and resonate just does it for me. Awesome!

This one has to be the absolute WORST

Christ,
It reminds me of school in the mid 80`s and my keyboard/business studies teacher crashing out 90 words per minute on an old olympia manual typewriter! Awful!!

This one just for the visuals :)

Anyone know if I can get a resonable priced CD of the first organist in this post?

I think that Olivier Latry recording will be coming down the wire tonight... Thanks!

I have a DG Sacd recording of his, Franck's Prelude, Chorale and Fugue also from Notre Dame. Must give it a spin too.

O, and the recording seems to have some flaws (which I noticed only today), but this is compensated by the excellent playing of Latry.

Yup. Latry is wonderful. Alternatives:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KAR8ROI/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
If you can find a copy. Widor's current heir on the organ the pieces were written for.

For the English organ I've always loved this performance:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BDM4O0G/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Again, probs unobtanium. Avoid a later CD compliation containing the Toccata performance as it has a bit missing (prats).

For me the first and second movements of the 5th are its best music.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Had to think about this topic.

I played Boellmanns good old Suite Gothique yesterday. It was the first time since I play services that I used it in a service. Was on special request. Well-'suited' for a service, will use it in the future again.

I like the recording by Ian Tracey / Liverpool.

Peter Hurford passed away yesterday, so I listened to his recording too.

Had to think about this topic.

I played Boellmanns good old Suite Gothique yesterday. It was the first time since I play services that I used it in a service. Was on special request. Well-'suited' for a service, will use it in the future again.

I like the recording by Ian Tracey / Liverpool.

Peter Hurford passed away yesterday, so I listened to his recording too.
All of it or just the Toccata? Played it myself 3 weeks ago!

Lovely thread, I have the Walcha boxed recordings of Bach On vinyl and they are a joy...owned since 1968.

With Regard to reproducing Organs music .... it was partly why i stuck with Isobariks... for some 10 years or so

the children loved Tocatta and Fugue in particular and recognised something was different about my record player! when organ music was on.

I have a beautiful foto of a child listening to a 'brik to understand how those notes and feelings could be coming out of a box....

ho la

lovely thread

All of it or just the Toccata? Played it myself 3 weeks ago!

All of it. Part 1 at introitus, Part 2 / 3 sub communione and Part 4 at the end - where it belongs.

I think I might undust some more French music, however my interest is more Sweelinck / Buxtehude / Bach. For myself, I get more enjoyment out of playing a French Suite, or a Fugue from Kunst der Fuge (latenight).

Still want to be able to play Vierne 2! Magnificent piece of music. Well composed. Ah, I should not forget Viernes Toccata from the Pieces de Fantaisie.

advertisement

Back