advertisement

Why you should go to a Record Shop

I am content now to buy direct from bands or from small labels with their own internet outlet

I love buying direct from the Band/Musician. Right now I am buying from Ray Wylie Hubbard (WELL worth a listen) and dealing with his lady who organises the sales has been just like "the olden days" Absolutely terrific, personal service and makes the whole thing that much nicer. For me at least.

I love buying direct from the Band/Musician. Right now I am buying from Ray Wylie Hubbard (WELL worth a listen) and dealing with his lady who organises the sales has been just like "the olden days" Absolutely terrific, personal service and makes the whole thing that much nicer. For me at least.

Same as. I love the little chats with the likes of Fruits De Mer/Sulatron and you know you are directly supporting the bands, gigs, touring etc. The quality of the stuff being released is nothing short of astounding as well.

Molee,

It was just that I had experience of a serial record shop opener and closer in that area, who also dreamt up festivals then took in folks cash and they never happened is it.

Despite him having four record shops in a row, none of my money went his way for the vinyl.

Perhaps he and the Oxford chap are related.

Anyway, it hasn't put me off going into shops here and there.

DS

I suppose I shouldn't write them all off but I don't have your prodigious appetite for getting round to them all. The only one I go to now, albeit irregularly, is Rough Trade West-one of the lads there is an Oxon boy. With regard to the Oxford-High Wycombe link, that's a bit interesting. I got given a book at xmas about the state of record shops "Last man standing"? or something like that. In it, if memory serves there is a link between the two places and proprietors.

Well, that's that, then ! Have never heard of any of those artistes. Have finally crossed the Rubicon into the great unknown. Quite liberating, as I don't have room for any more in my 'record shop browser' style shelves.

.http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww195/Yungiloo/NEWKITARRANGEMENTROOMATNIGHT010.jpg

Mike I think that you should organise a record browsing bake off to test the skills of record browsers and see if any of us now on digital can re-kindle those long forgotten skills that Rasher speaks of.
There could be handicap system similar to one used in golf for known recidivists of vinyl such as DSS.
The final could be run on the theme of the Generation Game conveyor theme where the finalist has to name as many of the flipped albums as possible.
Show offs will be able to simultaneously flip a row with each hand of course.

Pete,

My record browsing skills have been remarked on by a RSA or two, I can riffle through an entire shop's stock in the time it can take a prog-rock fan to examine the liner notes on a re-issue of the 2nd Camel album is it.

Should be an Olympic event I reckon.

DS

I got given a book at xmas about the state of record shops "Last man standing"? or something like that.

That would be 'Last Shop Standing' there, a good but sad tale of the demise of independent record shops is it.

I don't remember anything about the HW flitter, but they did cover Scorpion (gone) and Counter Culture there.

DS

Disappointed again yesterday. Whole of the Manchester Record Quarter closed at 2pm on Sunday, and Eastern Bloc appears to have closed down so no chance of filling any Chain Reaction gaps there (there).

Anex, I assume you mean the old Eastern Bloc, which is now a hairdressers is it.

I hope you don't mean the new Eastern Bloc combined cafe / record shop on the square round the corner there?

I have got lots of vinyls from there, both from the minimal techno and the drum'n'bass walls, and a complimentary D'n'B cappuccino too.

DS

Went to Sister ray yesterday and bought 4lps. All cleaned up really well and sounded ace. The cost of the records was at book price/a tad over, but when buying from a shop you can evaluate the condition and there is no p&p

I hope you don't mean the new Eastern Bloc combined cafe / record shop on the square round the corner there?

I have got lots of vinyls from there, both from the minimal techno and the drum'n'bass walls, and a complimentary D'n'B cappuccino too.

The combined cafe / record shop seems to be the future. Whenever I pop into Rough Trade East there's always a long queue for the frappuccinos.

Vinyl Records in Antwerp recently moved and became Coffee and Vinyl. They had a nice selection of vintage Quad hi-fi when we went. And they gave us free cake too.

I'll be going to another combined record shop / cafe tomorrow in That Brighton is it.

It's a trend on the up, and very handy there too.

DS

I meant the original Eastern Bloc, hadn't realised it had moved. Dang, I should have tried that vinyl district app as I might not have left empty handed.

I went into the HMV in that Geordie Metro Centre yesterday. More music on show than any other I have been in recently and lots of displays featuring specific artists, tastefully arranged with say a few CDs, a book and some vinyl per each. Mostly Dad rock but still promising. And a fair bit of new vinyl on its own as well.

PS Who would buy the new Springsteen on vinyl at £30 I wonder?

Who would buy the new Springsteen on vinyl at £30 I wonder?

I hope to be able to resist tomorrow, as it will probably be there, sitting in the racks at Resident, waiting for someone to pick it up is it. I will be leaving it for a fan there.

Last HMV I went to was in MCR, the vinyl selection was laughable, perhaps I should give them more of a chance then. Used to get plenty of Prolekult records in HMV years ago.

DS

advertisement

Back