advertisement

Why you should go to a Record Shop

dss

Musical Bons
Was in That London having a browse in the Berwick / Poland Street, and found albums that I hadn't heard were out, always a nice surprise is it.

New material by

Ministry
Killing Joke
Monolake
Wobble / Levine

and a live album by Can
and a live album by White Hills

as well as the usual minimal techno bits.

So, go into your record shop, it might has something waiting for you!

DS

Easy question.

When I was growing up and got to 12 I was always in record shops and could never pass one without going in. It would drive my mother mad.
In those days of the early 70s the album sleeves would always be the same recognisable sleeves, Atom Heart Mother, In The Court Of The Crimson King, Foxtrot & Tresspass, etc etc., and the height of the racks would be just right for not only me, but for fully grown adults too. My fingers seemed designed to do that walking thing as they flick fast from front to back through the LPs - I could get really fast and sometimes my brain would be processing what I saw after I'd moved on, so sometimes I'd stop and have to go back. Probably half a second brain lag, but a useful photographic memory cache somewhere in the eye to brain plumbing.

Record shops are essential for not only physical development - the reaching and the digital dexterity which are skills needed in later life, but the brain training that goes with it.
Amazon can't give you that.

(That's not what you meant, is it)

Better than the Toddler Group for your development then is it?

This is what all those streamites miss, finding something you weren't looking for, but needed anyway.

DS

Ministry - In The Land Of Rape & Honey - You Know What You Are.

This track was on every party tape I ever made. Haven't heard it for years - must go find it right now.

How is the new Monolake? I looked for it in a record shop just this Tuesday but came away disappointed.

I did however leave with The Necks LP from last year, some Sun Ra reissues, a Hood reissue and a number of other bits from the rock and hardcore sections so only a disappointment on the electronics front.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/w...ATNIGHT010.jpg

I am admiring the fine cabinetry on your speakers. It all looks warm & friendly in there.
Please enlighten me what are they & how did you get them past Mrs R?

Ta for cuddly comments.

Bog standard (Teak?) finish on the ProAc Response 4s. As Mrs R is considerably smaller, I think she felt intimidated. Anyway, I'm stuck with them at 133 kgm each (I could just about move them when I was younger !).

Have run out of alcoves, so either I stop buying records or I start winnowing.

I make a point of visiting Catapult in Cardiff. He never has anything I'm looking for and always manages to sell me things I've never heard of. 90% of what I've bought in there hasn't even made it to the display racks yet. Recent purchases include

Errors of the Human Body (OST)
Franco Falsini / Cold Nose (OST)
Mist / House
Headboggle / s/t

Seems to have a lot of Mego / Spectrum Spools gear in general.

So, go into your record shop, it might has something waiting for you!

DS

Went into Rough Trade the other week looking for the oOoOO e.p. (and felt a bit of a twit). They didn't have it, but the nice man steered me towards the Church Of Synth intead. Nothing like oOoOO, but hit a spot I wouldn't have even known existed if I hadn't gone in there.

Nice blarty synths:

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that Church of Synth record is it, and thought I would investigate later, hoping it would be a suitable dirge like piece, so I would like to hear of it there.

DS

How is the new Monolake? I looked for it in a record shop just this Tuesday but came away disappointed.

I'm liking it - very much in the vein of "Silence" but a bit more umm, glitchy, maybe? Got it on vinyl, it's a simply superb pressing with a lot of unsettling noises on it. Had to get it through Boomkat rather than a physical record shop unfortunately, I'd be on a hiding to nothing trying to find it in Aberdeen.

Anex,

Got the M.lake stacked up in the 'to be played soon pile' is it, but as stated, something to put on the autochanger a bit earlier.

Johnfromcardiff,

I enjoy Catapault as well, I have been surprised by new sub genres and crossovers there. It is where to get Underground Quality records in Wales.

DS

My heart agrees but the head says no. I have given up on my local record shop-they teamed up with a local festy organiser who went (knowingly) bust owing some friends money who would probably have done the gig for free if they had been told of the financial situation. Then the shop said they were closing down (but didn't) and had a closing down sale with virtually no reductions. It turned out they were relaunching the store and got a bit of publicity into the bargain. I know there are realities of life but there is more than a subtle difference between being passionate about music and being passionate about making a living out of selling music. I am content now to buy direct from bands or from small labels with their own internet outlet-if bricks-and-mortar shops disappear for new vinyl then hey-ho way it goes.

advertisement

Back