advertisement

Why won’t Linn provide Lingo 4 installation instructions ?.

It must damage residuals on new kit if they won't support a second user which would put me off
buying under either option.
Linn seem to be targeting buyers who don't care.
I don’t see myself ever moving beyond my original Lingo and Cirkus. What follows seem more cludgy and tweaky.
Get a Zeus. I think you'd be happy with that and the sale of your Lingo will pay for a chunk of it. It's a different level from the Lingo.

Well that's not true. Linn dealers fit used parts all the time.
Only if they supply the parts in my experience. My dealer would charge for the purchase and extra for the fitting. They charged extra for fitting a brand new Lingo 4 when I’m certain at the time it came out the marketing blurb was that the price included fitting.
Whilst I’m very happy with my LP12 I’ve only found one Linn dealer that is fair, friendly and helpful. All others (I’ve used several) are either too pushy with Linn products , unhelpful or offish and/or pricey with their fitting costs. My nearest dealer is over 2 hours away and the next would be an hour further. Not exactly a day round trip even if you book it in

I’ve only found one Linn dealer that is fair, friendly and helpful. All others (I’ve used several) are either too pushy with Linn products , unhelpful or offish and/or pricey with their fitting costs.
Sounds right. That's what Linn want. It's all about pushing product and making money. There are good guys out there but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Linn are a manufacturer who sell via distribution and dealers.
Like any other manufacturer they can't support the end user, to do so would expose them to endless customer support issues; that's why there is margin for the disti/dealer. If they sold direct it would be different.
Installing a Lingo4 requires knowledge of how to do it and setup an LP12, not hard but requires skill.

I don’t understand why Linn won’t share installation instructions for a used product, it’s not going to harm them doing so as they wouldn’t be installing it. But it will assist someone who invests in their products to install the item in the correct manner as they recommend, and to also check that all contents are in the package if they buy on the used market. If you buy a used Lingo 1/2/3/4 these instructions will obviously be of benefit and show you the correct way of routing cabling and what not to do. Refusing to provide essential information that can assist in getting the best out of a product I feel isn’t good. It’s a catch 22 situation this I feel linn dealers won’t install used products but linn won’t allow you to have access to the information which will help you do it yourself. So if you buy used as most people on limited budgets have to your on your own.

I don’t understand why Linn won’t share installation instructions for a used product...
You really do like going round in circles don't you? I explained why they have no obligation or benefit from giving you this information. Linn train their dealers in how to assemble the LP12. You've had no training whatsoever and are unable to fathom a basic problem like why your belt is slipping. What makes you think you'd be able to install a Lingo4 correctly? And if you have problems, what are you you going to do? Who's going to sort it out for you?

The LP12 is a very simple thing. I've never had a Lingo 4 in my hands but I'm pretty confident I could figure out how to fit one without any instructions. I'm really not sure you could. So you can't afford a new one, so what? We all have things we can't afford, so we don't buy them. Can you set the suspension on an LP12? Adjust the motor and speed? Dress a tonearm correctly? All basic LP12 stuff. If you can do all of that easily then I'm sure you'll figure out how to fit a Lingo. If not, forget it.

You really do like going round in circles don't you? I explained why they have no obligation or benefit from giving you this information. Linn train their dealers in how to assemble the LP12. You've had no training whatsoever and are unable to fathom a basic problem like why your belt is slipping. What makes you think you'd be able to install a Lingo4 correctly? And if you have problems, what are you you going to do? Who's going to sort it out for you?

The LP12 is a very simple thing. I've never had a Lingo 4 in my hands but I'm pretty confident I could figure out how to fit one without any instructions. I'm really not sure you could. So you can't afford a new one, so what? We all have things we can't afford, so we don't buy them. Can you set the suspension on an LP12? Adjust the motor and speed? Dress a tonearm correctly? All basic LP12 stuff. If you can do all of that easily then I'm sure you'll figure out how to fit a Lingo. If not, forget it.

The thing is I won’t be installing anything I just want to read the document , when I do get a lingo 4 which I’m in the process of buying I will be paying someone to install the thing professionally at some stage but for my own interest I’d like to see what’s involved. Regarding the motor I have had discussion with a Linn dealer and they said they would take a look at it for me , but they even said it’s a bizarre thing, I’m told it could either be the motor unit that occasionally can vibrate and not rotate or the Majik power supply which is the issue either one or other. If it is the power supply I would like to upgrade and not just install exactly the same item once again. Once I do find out what’s the issue with it whether mechanical or electrical I will be contacting the seller of the deck as I have bought something which currently doesn’t work. And it was all packed up whe. I collected the bleeding thing so no demo on collection !!.
Regarding the been unable to fathom why the belt is slipping, it’s not been as easy as you may think to isolate the issue it could be all manner of things motor / power supply / bearing this is what the dealer told me so I’m sure a lot of people would also be like me and not find it so straightforward. Thanks though for all your advice. I’m now leaving it to the professionals to sort out!.

Linn seem to be targeting buyers who don't care.

Get a Zeus. I think you'd be happy with that and the sale of your Lingo will pay for a chunk of it. It's a different level from the Lingo.

The thing is I won’t be installing anything I just want to read the document , when I do get a lingo 4 which I’m in the process of buying I will be paying someone to install the thing professionally at some stage but for my own interest I’d like to see what’s involved. Regarding the motor I have had discussion with a Linn dealer and they said they would take a look at it for me , but they even said it’s a bizarre thing, I’m told it could either be the motor unit that occasionally can vibrate and not rotate or the Majik power supply which is the issue either one or other. If it is the power supply I would like to upgrade and not just install exactly the same item once again. Once I do find out what’s the issue with it whether mechanical or electrical I will be contacting the seller of the deck as I have bought something which currently doesn’t work. And it was all packed up whe. I collected the bleeding thing so no demo on collection !!.
Regarding the been unable to fathom why the belt is slipping, it’s not been as easy as you may think to isolate the issue it could be all manner of things motor / power supply / bearing this is what the dealer told me so I’m sure a lot of people would also be like me and not find it so straightforward. Thanks though for all your advice. I’m now leaving it to the professionals to sort out!.
Myself and Mr Pig share a very good Linn dealer.
Mr Pig is confident with the LP12 and I have no clue - at best I can fit a cartridge and a turntable mat.
Our dealer sells and fits 2nd hand parts which suits me - I've bought a mix of 2nd hand and brand new from them.
I got the Lingo 4 new as it is slim enough to fit behind my turntable to reduce the box count.
Sure, there will be a markup, but I'm happy to pay for their knowledge.
I'm not familiar with the Zeus device but seems a good price.

I have had discussion with a Linn dealer and they said they would take a look at it for me , but they even said it’s a bizarre thing, I’m told it could either be the motor unit that occasionally can vibrate and not rotate or the Majik power supply which is the issue either one or other.
No it couldn't. The symptoms you have don't fit.

And you're complaining about Linn not supplying you with something you don't even need anyway?

They don't want to give out instructions because they believe it eliminates idiots from blaming them when they buy substandard second hand kit and fit it badly. Which is entirely fair. If ultimately shortsighted.

It's a very old fashioned model is all, this is how things used to be all the time across all sorts of industries not just Hi-Fi- closed shop with next to no customer involvement or support unless through an authorised dealer. I think Linn are hanging on to it just to appeal to the sort of customer base they aspire to be a part of, IE not plebs on a Hi-Fi forum wanting to tinker with their own 30 year old LP12.

They don't want to give out instructions because they believe it eliminates idiots from blaming them when they buy substandard second hand kit and fit it badly. Which is entirely fair. If ultimately shortsighted.
The point is that it's their information and they can do whatever the hell they want with it.

Years ago my son bought a recording studio. Not the building but everything in it. The seller listed everything included in the sale and asked for offers. My son spent ages pricing everything and working out how much he thought he could get for each item then gave them a bid.

They came back and asked to see his valuations and asked him for more. I said to that under no circumstances should he give them that information. It represented his work and was part of the process he was using to make a profit. He should tell them that if they want to know the value of each item they can do the work he did. And his price represented what he needed to pay to ensure a reasonable profit. If they wanted more money they could sell the items individually themselves. They accepted his offer.

Linn don't owe you squat. They developed the product, wrote the instructions and trained their dealers to fit it. You want a piece of that, you pay them. That's how business works.

This is an hilarious thread. Talking about a product that the OP has yet to purchase.

It is very easy. You drop a note to a few Linn dealers, tell them you are interested in a 2nd hand Lingo 4. When they have one you just take along your TT & get them to fit it.

Alternatively you can buy one off eBay which may or may not be complete & bodge it all together. This option then gives you something else to moan about.

Linn are blameless here, why would they risk reputational damage for someone who isn’t even a customer?

No it couldn't. The symptoms you have don't fit.

And you're complaining about Linn not supplying you with something you don't even need anyway?

It’s no big deal either way I think, im paying someone to do the examination and then to rectify the issues they find , I was just inquisitive how some people in their reviews of the lingo say that fitting instructions were included, obvious the person who put the tutorial online had access to these which led me to think they were widely available. Anyways as you said earlier no point discussing it anymore, will be interesting to find out what the dealer says next week though!.

I’m not located in England but I installed the Lingo 4 on my deck myself during covid.
Purchased new from a Linn sole agent along with a new Karousel bearing.
He sent the kit out to me as I live in the boondocks.

What do you need to know?

I can understand why dealers don't want to fit secondhand parts to a deck they don't know. A potential minefield for them if the second hard part is faulty and or the deck is too.
Then there is the issue of how much to charge which would vary on the condition of the LP12, does it need a service? Will other new parts be needed?
Over the years I have had secondhand and new parts fitted to my LP12 by my dealer and they were all supplied by them. I do know of them fitting parts bought by a regular customer to a known deck if it was discussed before the customer bought the part. I very much doubt they would entertain the idea of someone phoning up on the off chance to get a part fitted.

If you go with a used Lingo 4, make sure the main board, inside the LP12, has 4 (preferably) or at least 2 nylon mounting standoffs. If it has 4 metal standoff, you have the old kit with a potential ground issue - two (or preferably all 4) should be replaced with their shorter, nylon equivalents.

This post outlines the issue but don't go cutting links on the board - the nylon standoff solve the issue.

A new Lingo 4 actually has installation instructions in the box but dealers aren't supposed to give them to their customers. If you buy one, ask if it has the instructions.

advertisement

Back