advertisement

Why won’t Linn provide Lingo 4 installation instructions ?.

Wayne C

pfm Member
I sent an email off to Linn today asking if they would provide install instructions for a Lingo 4 and was informed that these won’t be provided to the public?. In these days were people upgrade products regularly and wish to maybe sell the older product on to recycle I find this bizarre?. They said linn dealers install their products, but when you phone a dealer they say they won’t install a used product. In this day and age I find it sad that Linn can’t be bothered to assist in keeping perfectly working products in the chain and direct people to buy new all the time. Why is everything such a closed shop.

I was only wanting to read the manual to consider my options for the future, but they wouldn’t entertain me reading it !!

This any good?

I read that and part 2 , he said he was provided with the instruction manual which led me to request it but no chance !. Thanks though

No offence but in the other thread you were incapable of figuring out why your LP12 belt was slipping. A belt and two pulleys, sitting there in front of you. Nothing arcane. Are you confident in your abilities to fit and adjust a Lingo 4?

I'm no huge fan but what Linn are doing is not unusual. If you call BMW and ask them to give you instructions for removing their engines do you think they'll give them to you? Yeah, no chance.

Firstly, Linn paid to develop this product up to and including the fitting instructions. It's their intellectual property. Why should they just give those instructions to you for nothing? Or at all? It's their property and they can protect it any way they like.

Secondly, they want to protect their reputation. Let's say they give those instructions to some muppet who doesn't know which end of a screwdriver to hold, no offence here, and said Gonzo makes a pudding of fitting the product. That's not good. Maybe it sounds shite and bold Gonzo spatters the internet with tales of poor performance. Maybe the deck ends up a headache in the hands of a dealer. There are lots of ways it can go wrong, none of which Linn want.

If I were you I'd just pay the money and get a dealer to do it.

No offence but in the other thread you were incapable of figuring out why your LP12 belt was slipping. A belt and two pulleys, sitting there in front of you. Nothing arcane. Are you confident in your abilities to fit and adjust a Lingo 4?

I'm no huge fan but what Linn are doing is not unusual. If you call BMW and ask them to give you instructions for removing their engines do you think they'll give them to you? Yeah, no chance.

Firstly, Linn paid to develop this product up to and including the fitting instructions. It's their intellectual property. Why should they just give those instructions to you for nothing? Or at all? It's their property and they can protect it any way they like.

Secondly, they want to protect their reputation. Let's say they give those instructions to some muppet who doesn't know which end of a screwdriver to hold, no offence here, and said Gonzo makes a pudding of fitting the product. That's not good. Maybe it sounds shite and bold Gonzo spatters the internet with tales of poor performance. Maybe the deck ends up a headache in the hands of a dealer. There are lots of ways it can go wrong, none of which Linn want.

I think he said Linn dealers won't fit second hand equipment.

None taken as i say i was wanting to read the installation manual , as I was thinking of upgrading the turntable but cant afford brand new. Reason being most of my vinyl is acoustic sounds 45 that i buy new now

None taken as i say i was wanting to read the installation manual , as I was thinking of upgrading the turntable but cant afford brand new.
Have you looked at the Valhalla Electronics Zeus PSU? It's a fraction of the price of the Lingo 4 and by all accounts in the same ball park on performance. I have one and it's pretty good. The best PSU I've had by a long way.

I wouldn't know. I was just taking notice of the OP.
I know but it's not my experience. I've been an LP12 user for over thirty years and the local Linn dealers will service and fit whatever you ask them to. If it's a genuine Linn product, why wouldn't they?

Well that's not true. Linn dealers fit used parts all the time.
Well I phoned two and they said they wouldn’t do such work , ie, stuff that was brought in off the street. It seems to me they are denying funds for their business. I mean what’s the problem if the person who brings the used kit in says ok if it fails in 6 months I appreciate there’s no warranty.

Well I phoned two and they said they wouldn’t do such work , ie, stuff that was brought in off the street. It seems to me they are denying funds for their business. I mean what’s the problem if the person who brings the used kit in says ok if it fails in 6 months I appreciate there’s no warranty.
Where are you based?

I assume you haven’t actually bought a Lingo 4? Can always buy one from a dealer? Will probably work out cheaper in the long run as they will set up the deck for you.

I know but it's not my experience. I've been an LP12 user for over thirty years and the local Linn dealers will service and fit whatever you ask them to. If it's a genuine Linn product, why wouldn't they?
I wish that was the case in my instance but I was told it can open up a lot of problems so they told me to buy new which I can’t afford at £1700.

Well I phoned two and they said they wouldn’t do such work , ie, stuff that was brought in off the street. It seems to me they are denying funds for their business.
The possibly don't make money off the fitting, just the sale.

Just buy a Zeus. Cheaper and easy to fit yourself. Which the Lingo probably is too to be fair. Bound to be lots of people on forums happy to keep you right.

I have to say I think the attitude adopted by Linn and allegedly their dealers is likely to be self defeating.

It must damage residuals on new kit if they won't support a second user which would put me off
buying under either option.

I don’t see myself ever moving beyond my original Lingo and Cirkus. What follows seem more cludgy and tweaky.

advertisement

Back