advertisement

Why the world cannot afford the rich

Joe P

Memory Alpha incarnate | mod; Shatner number = 2
Not your typical lefty paper, this commentary was published recently in Nature, the leading science journal.

The first two paragraphs and a graph from the commentary —

As environmental, social and humanitarian crises escalate, the world can no longer afford two things: first, the costs of economic inequality; and second, the rich. Between 2020 and 2022, the world’s most affluent 1% of people captured nearly twice as much of the new global wealth created as did the other 99% of individuals put together, and in 2019 they emitted as much carbon dioxide as the poorest two-thirds of humanity. In the decade to 2022, the world’s billionaires more than doubled their wealth, to almost US$12 trillion.​
The evidence gathered by social epidemiologists, including us, shows that large differences in income are a powerful social stressor that is increasingly rendering societies dysfunctional. For example, bigger gaps between rich and poor are accompanied by higher rates of homicide and imprisonment. They also correspond to more infant mortality, obesity, drug abuse and COVID-19 deaths, as well as higher rates of teenage pregnancy and lower levels of child well-being, social mobility and public trust. The homicide rate in the United States — the most unequal Western democracy — is more than 11 times that in Norway (see go.nature.com/49fuujr). Imprisonment rates are ten times as high, and infant mortality and obesity rates twice as high.​

d41586-024-00723-3_26829140.png

Joe

The homicide rate in the United States — the most unequal Western democracy — is more than 11 times that in Norway (see go.nature.com/49fuujr). Imprisonment rates are ten times as high, and infant mortality and obesity rates twice as high.
Joe

I fully support your direction here, but the USA is a poor example of homicide and prison rates because most of the resident lunatics there, villains and cops, have firearms. Obesity is also more of a problem for the poor who gulp down the omnipresent cheap fast food which is thrust at them by aggressive advertising and ruthless multinational corporates.

Very interesting,I guess it's no secret health inequality costs money.
"Prior to COVID-19, health inequalities were estimated to cost the NHS an extra £4.8 billion a year, society around £31 billion in lost productivity, and between £20 and £32 billion a year in lost tax revenue and benefit payments'
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...d-health-inequalities-applying-all-our-health
Interestingly I came across this quote from CLR James.
"The rich are only defeated when running for their lives” is a line taken from the Trinadian theorist C.L.R. James' The Black Jacobins, a book that analyzed the Haitian Revolution."

Who'd have thought there would be a billionaire magazine?

Ps, I wasn't looking because I am one.

Blinkered, paralyzed
Flat on my back
They say our world is built on endeavor
That every man is for himself
Wealth is for the one that wants it
Paradise, if you can earn it
History is the reason
I'm washed up
Blinkered, paralyzed
Flat on my back
My ambitions come to nothing
What I wanted now just seems a waste of time
I can't make out what has gone wrong
I was good at what I did
The crows come home to roost
And I'm the dupe

Gang of Four.

Why is revolution illegal? Because it is the people doing to the powerful what the powerful have always done to the people. It isn’t wrong in any fundamental sense.

Money has (with care) always made money and the percentages haven't changed that muchover the years. Maybe downward if you look at the wealth of the Moguls and their like. But that ball of gold is an accelerating comet, and the faster it goes, the bigger it gets and the longer it's tail becomes, so iy drags those with 100, 000 into the millions, and the billions become trillions and so it goes. Those with nothing to spare remain standing down here just watching it blaze further away.
I hope it explodes and does NOT shower down a penny to anyone. I hope the poorer down below just shrug, and rebuild on the basis of happiness, fairness, and conservation.

Why shouldn’t the bulk of society benefit from the accelerating gold comet with the ever growing tail, if we’re going with a strained analogy?

Joe

A comet loses mass when its orbit brings it too close to the Sun (saw it with me own eyes, I did), and in any case gold comes from colliding neutron stars, so we have a fundamental analogy issue that bares no connection to the phenomena it purportedly describes through, ummm, analogy.

Joe

Joe,

When I was 12 or 13 I would spend school lunch breaks in the local branch of Comet 'testing' the smoothness of the tape eject of the tape decks on offer - as everyone knows a really smooth eject is the sign of a truly high-end tape deck.

Hope this helps with your analogy.

Joe,

When I was 12 or 13 I would spend school lunch breaks in the local branch of Comet 'testing' the smoothness of the tape eject of the tape decks on offer - as everyone knows a really smooth eject is the sign of a truly high-end tape deck.

Hope this helps with your analogy.

You were allowed into town at lunchtime? Luxury.

Because it’s not a comet that provides light to those around. It’s a snowball stripping off snow from everyone around it to become bigger
And because the comet's explosion will eradicate the greedy, and man is too stupid and too weak to be tempted again.
We will just fall on our ass all over again
and again
and again
groundhog day.

It will take just one person to find out that the rich are very tasty (some are self basting).

It will take just one person to find out that the rich are very tasty (some are self basting).
or, in a more poetic twist, maybe it will be a liberated chicken peckin away at explosion site? MMMMMM....tastes just like
man
apparently

Indeed. But I’m not sure how that differs significantly from how the powerful exploit the poor and weak.
Spot on. How many people have been injured/ killed at work because health & safety was neglected? How about banks that repossess people’s homes? How about the violence of millions starved to death by famine while grain is exported to wealthy countries, who cream off poor countries wealth through foreign debt. How about those millions languishing in prison because they couldn’t afford decent legal representation. And so on and so forth.

A few aristocratic heads falling into a basket can’t compare.

advertisement

Back