advertisement

Why guilt on speaker cables and such

If you've made the assertion, you need to demonstrate it.

Give me the £2k speaker cable (I almost can't believe I'm asking this) or interconnect which is a better idea than ugrading a £1k speaker to a £3k one please.

As Woodface says though, ultimately it's your money.
I can't believe you're asking it either, but speaker cable in longer runs can get quite expensive - he was talking about interconnects

(edit - I need 7M runs to my speakers, and I did spend over £60/m)

Give me the £2k speaker cable (I almost can't believe I'm asking this) or interconnect which is a better idea than ugrading a £1k speaker to a £3k one please.

Ok, speakers Definitive Technology d9/d11 or Martin Logan 35xti. Let’s assume you’ve got best possible amp match (it would be tubes for ML for example).

Speaker cable upgrade - Kondo spc
Interconnects - many in fact, let’s assume my top Audio Replas 9000.

You will not match this with a speaker upgrade.

Ok, speakers Definitive Technology d9/d11 or Marting Logan 35xti. Let’s assume you’ve got best possible amp match (it would be tubes for ML for example).

Speaker cable upgrade - Kondo spc
Interconnects - many in fact, let’s assume my top Audio Replas 9000.

You will not match this with a speaker upgrade.

You are moving in circles that us lesser mortals are either too sensible or too cost-constrained to think of. Many of your examples are boutique brands that few, if any here will have any experience of. At any rate, I'm going to leave you to keep digging this hole, and get on with enjoying my new Rega amp, my lovely ProAcs and my cheap-as-chips wires.

I think it's insane tbh, but that's just me.

Tell me the name of a speaker then
This is absurd, and you are missing my point - given the completely theoretical and highly subjective nature of these questions, there simply is no "answer" - I would just be making an equally insupportable counter assertion - if you find that you get better results changing interconnects rather than actual components, knock yourself out - I am by no means a cable sceptic, but the material value of some of the boutique offerings is, to put it politely, not properly aligned with the asking price....

I'm going to finish my glass of wine and go and watch Anatomy of a Fall now 😉

I can't believe you're asking it either, but speaker cable in longer runs can get quite expensive - he was talking about interconnects

(edit - I need 7M runs to my speakers, and I did spend over £60/m)

This thread started with speaker cables. Now we're on interconnects. Not that it makes much difference tbh.

The difference between the 4M per side Van Damme I run and 8M is probably about £200, if that.

I’m a bit out of touch with cable prices but I’m guessing that superlumina is about 5 x the cost of normal naim wire? Is it 5 x better?

I remember nac5 being £6 p/m when I first bought it 20 years ago.

Probably better comparing like with like when it comes to diminishing returns.

Whatever, if it makes you happy;)

superlumina is about 5 x the cost of normal naim wire? Is it 5 x better?

What is times better when it comes to sound quality? When you switch from super lumina to free Naim cables you just realize that they’re playing 3 notes. Yes, with punch. But instruments are massively lacking overtones. Is it important? Idk, if you compare with a random mass-market hifi, it’s difficult to notice. If you compare with good tubes it’s immediately obvious.

What is times better when it comes to sound quality? When you switch from super lumina to free Naim cables you just realize that they’re playing 3 notes. Yes, with punch. But instruments are massively lacking overtones. Is it important? Idk, if you compare with a random mass-market hifi, it’s difficult to notice. If you compare with good tubes it’s immediately obvious.
You are all over the place with this. I’ve tried the expensive interconnects & couldn’t hear a difference.

You brought up the topic of diminishing returns, I reckon it kicks in much harder with cables.

I bet you have cable lifters, bespoke mains cables etc. So happy for you.

Tldr, has no-one asked about your amp and speakers yet?

Short answer, thick enough so it doesn't matter, long enough so they reach and with LCR that doesn't upset your amp or act as a filter for your speakers.

I’ve just had an idea.

Why doesn’t everyone log out and enjoy some wonderful music, sure in the knowledge that one’s cables are contributing / not contributing to musical nirvana…

;)
Ha, imagine how much more of a genius Joni would be with better cables.

advertisement

Back