advertisement

Why guilt on speaker cables and such

Agreed, and NAC A5 fits that bill. The longer the cables, the higher the R, but not to any great extent.

Not really, Mick. Nothing magical about Naim's cables; in fact I think the original NAC A4 was made by Chord in Salisbury, but could be wrong there. I used Chord Odyssey (as in my post 27 above) which, being thinner, probably had a higher R. These 2 x 11m runs were fine on my 552 and 135s.
NACA, 4 was made by BICC, it's identical to Linn K20 and is a low voltage lighting cable for military and similar site use.

NACA, 4 was made by BICC, it's identical to Linn K20 and is a low voltage lighting cable for military and similar site use.
I know if I use NACA 5 then it's going to be capable of good performance as it's compatible with Naim products. That suit me fine as I have no wish to go down the forever wondering if I have the best cable route.

NACA4 was made by BICC,
I was obv. getting confused with the early Naim I/Cs (Lavender, possibly or their predecessors?) I had NAC A4 for my first ventures into Naim (42.110, 32.5/160/250) but bought long lengths of NAC A5 from a dealer somewhere in Lancashire whilst on my travels, possibly late eighties

I've only ever made one speaker cable change in my system in 30 years. That was to change from no name 79 strand (definitely wasn't Quad but I think that's irrelevant) to Kimber 4TC. Admittedly I bought the Kimber on the basis of reviews, but that was back in the day when I was into reading all the reviews etc rather than believing the science/engineering. Just so happens by luck that 4TC have good electrical properties that make it a good choice as a speaker cable. That said, today I very likely would not pay what Kimber (Russell what's his face) is asking for 4TC, as I believe for what it is (in terms of it being plastic covered wire), it's way overpriced (as it probably was at the time when I bought it too, but I was a different person back then).

More recently I've messed around with A/B testing a few XLR cables and thought I may have heard some very subtle (and I mean VERY) differences between them, but nothing that I couldn't convince myself wasn't just expectation bias. So I settled on the set that had the best electrical properties, given the impedances of the CD/Amp involved. Subsequently I'm now using a different (integrated) amp with a built in DAC and so I no longer concern myself about "interconnect" cables as all my box connections are digital. (As you've probably guessed, I don't believe cables make any difference in the digital domain - as long as they're well designed/built and not wet bits of string).

In my experience, to ensure transparency, a speaker cable must have a low resistance (no more than 5% of the nominal impedance of the connected speaker) and a low capacitance. So, if you want to ensure that your speaker cable has a minimal effect on the sound of your system, choose one on the basis of these parameters (i.e., one that has thick copper conductors spaced well apart). Good examples include Van Damme 6 mm2 HiFi speaker cable and Linn K20, neither of which are expensive.
It's inductance not capacitance that really matters in speaker cables, after resistance of course. Of course you don't want ludicrous amounts of capacitance just to get an extremely low inductance, but you should be prioritising low inductance over low capacitance.

Just your standard 2 x 4m of QED 79, NACA 5, Linn K20, etc, to form a Thiele network, isn't it? I remember the designer telling us on here that he went down the "use only NVA approved" cables because he grew tired of the phone calls asking about yet another cable from China that claimed miracles.

Well you would, to be fair, wouldn't you?

Until you reposition your system and then its the wrong length !!
When I was at University many years ago, when the Wharfedale Diamond IV was current, several people had systems in the flats I was in. One chap came across to my room and said he thought he'd damaged a speaker, (aforementioned Diamond IV) and indeed one of them sounded quite dull and indistinct, and the other fine in comparison. Obvious thing to do was swap them over to see if it was the amp, and when swapped over the dull and miserable sounding speaker perked right up and the previous good was wasn't any more.
Not the the speakers then.
Was it the amp?
Looking down the back, I saw he had about 0.5m of his speaker cable on the "good speaker" and all the rest of the cable on the other one. I went and got my speaker cable and a low and behold both speakers now sounded better than either had before (if a little bright now, I thought), but more importantly they sounded the same.
He hadn't wanted to waste any cable when he bought the system, he'd cut a bit off for the speaker sat next to the amp, about 0.5m and left the rest on the other, that length was at least 8m, probably 9.5m. To add insult to injury he'd coiled it up but uncoiling it brought only a marginal improvement. He only needed about 3 m so cut it down, balanced up the lengths roughly and never worried about it. He was using QED 79 strand. I was running the light blue jacketed and very flexible Supra 4 (if anyone remembers it) in 3 meter lengths.
I learnt that anything over 1.5m was the wrong length for QED 79 strand. Avoided it ever since.

Until you reposition your system and then its the wrong length !!
True but then it all depends on how much you're prepared to compromise your system for the chance of not having to buy a different cable again (only counts if your reposition requires longer rather than shorter cable lengths obviously). The single most important thing about any cable, speaker included is: it should be as short as possible*.

Of course I'm ignoring those amps that rely on the cable electrical properties to remain stable. But I'd never buy such an amp.

So I settled on the set that had the best electrical properties, given the impedances of the CD/Amp involved. Subsequently I'm now using a different (integrated) amp with a built in DAC and so I no longer concern myself about "interconnect" cables as all my box connections are digital. (As you've probably guessed, I don't believe cables make any difference in the digital domain - as long as they're well designed/built and not wet bits of string).

There is not such thing in cable as ‘the best’ electrical properties. For example impedance in electrical systems is a full analog of a mass in mechanical. Is there such thing as the best mass? Obviously not, it can be huge or small depending on the whole system.
As for digital, they differ significantly but usually this difference exposed when power supply is well managed in the system.

Have you compared basic vs super lumina?
No.

£2,000 for a 3m pair of speaker cables? If I had a spare 2k, I can think of better things to do with it.

But don't you find it a little suspicious that a company which previously said you can't do better than a basic (non-audio sourced) cable suddenly changes their mind, just as a large market for stupidly expensive audio gear develops?

And BICC must have used excellent copper back in the day,the pollution from the BICC factory in Liverpool polluted Lord Derbys land and was blamed as the reason his race horses were suffering from broken legs,the horses were all moved to Epsom,but us stinking peasants still got to eat the carrots,wheat and sugar beet off the land🤣

No.

£2,000 for a 3m pair of speaker cables? If I had a spare 2k, I can think of better things to do with it.

But don't you find it a little suspicious that a company which previously said you can't do better than a basic (non-audio sourced) cable suddenly changes their mind, just as a large market for stupidly expensive audio gear develops?
I can’t believe that £2k couldn’t be better spent elsewhere either. I’d just never pay that much for wire.

advertisement

Back