advertisement

Why guilt on speaker cables and such

You are right though, different brands of speaker cables are a flavour thing. What works in one system won't in another because a small difference in LCR will affect the behaviour of different speakers and cables in different ways.
I think you’re right.

My cables are QED Silver Anniversary between my Audiolab amp. & Spendor BC1s,
and generic twisted copper between my Quad amp. & LS3/5As.

The generic copper ones are slightly less ‘open’ with the Audiolab / Spendors.
The QED ones are slightly ‘brighter’ with the Quad / LS3/5As.

I’m happy with the cables I have with the systems they’re used with.
It might well be different for others...

Ok, three examples:
- you’re running ATC50A or
- Audio Note AN-E
- Tannoy SGM

Obviously assuming good-matching amp. What “better” speakers can you get for additional 2k?
I couldn’t given those examples but I could make tangible improvements in other areas.

I don’t see how two lengths of wire can equate to a similar cost of actual electronics. In naim terms similar to, say, a supercap or XPS?

You’ve also picked 3 wildly different speakers. As an ATC fan myself I’d stick with what wire they recommend.

Ok, three examples:
- you’re running ATC50A or
- Audio Note AN-E
- Tannoy SGM

Obviously assuming good-matching amp. What “better” speakers can you get for additional 2k?

I detect some sample-skewing here. Of course if you select speakers that already cost a (comparative) fortune, you've answered your own question.

Now answer it with sub £2k (or £1K) speakers.

Hmm - my "experience" is that irrespective of the potential improvement, I just simply refuse to part with £2k for an interconnect - I don't really care about the arguments either way - it's a couple of bits of bloody wire!

I should temper that by saying that I have invested in, and found notable benefits from, cables that are a significant step up from the VD / Klotz types in price - I just feel I have to draw the line....

It would also take a lot more than £2k for me to get better speakers (AN-E SPe-HE hemp 🙂)

You’ve also picked 3 wildly different speakers.

Exactly to show that speakers are not better usually but different. You will hit diminishing returns with them soon and easy whatever the brand. If you like Spendor - D7.2, if you like Klipsch - Cornwall. And in smaller rooms much sooner obviously. Not so with the cables.

If the room is matching their size - yes. What counter-example can you give?

Easy - Rega RS1s are lovely sub-£1k speakers. You seem to be suggesting that spending £2k on speaker cables would be a better idea than upgrading them to (for example) ProAc DB1s or the very Neats you mention. And it isn't.

Exactly to show that speakers are not better usually but different. You will hit diminishing returns with them soon and easy whatever the brand. If you like Spendor - D7.2, if you like Klipsch - Cornwall. And in smaller rooms much sooner obviously. Not so with the cables.
Utter nonsense.

There is a material difference between, say, an ATC Active 40 & 50.

The other speaker are also different & it can be measured. Cables, nah.

I’m perfectly happy for you to spend your money on whatever you choose though.

Easy - Rega RS1s are lovely sub-£1k speakers. You seem to be suggesting that spending £2k on speaker cables would be a better idea than upgrading them to (for example) ProAc DB1s or the very Neats you mention. And it isn't.

No, I didn’t want to say that every sub-1k speaker doesn’t need an upgrade at all 😆. Give me the speaker which would be a better upgrade on Petite Classic vs good interconnect

Common, it’s not 2k
Mm, there’s probably about £2k between a pair of 19A’s & 40s or you could do a comparison between the active & the passive. A much bigger difference would result. But please, waste all the money you wish on wire.

No, I didn’t want to say that every sub-1k speaker doesn’t need an upgrade at all 😆. Give me the speaker which would be a better upgrade on Petite Classic vs good interconnect

If you've made the assertion, you need to demonstrate it.

Give me the £2k speaker cable (I almost can't believe I'm asking this) or interconnect which is a better idea than ugrading a £1k speaker to a £3k one please.

As Woodface says though, ultimately it's your money.

advertisement

Back