advertisement

Why guilt on speaker cables and such

Itʼs true that Naim makes in a way their users life easier (including myself). But mostly it’s about Power lines, for interconnects and speaker it is not that straightforward. For example decision about Super Lumina should be made at some point.
Steve is referring to the fact that, back in the mists of time, Naim were pretty sceptical about cable-foo and most Naim users were too - using their own cheap DIN interconnects and NACA4/5 or similar.

Then in the late 2000s or so (?) Naim went all foo-ish and weird, which happily coincided with their Oligarch Marketing Strategy.

NVA need 2 x 4m of cable to stabilise them, like Naim, don't they? Restricts choices *a bit*.

You are right though, different brands of speaker cables are a flavour thing. What works in one system won't in another because a small difference in LCR will affect the behaviour of different speakers and cables in different ways.

Dunn was always a bit of a twat about this - as he was about many things. That said, NVA's speaker cables weren't half bad.

The problem with cables is that it is all guesswork and subjectivity, so you are dividing head first into the unknown.

That was one of the reasons why I bought into Naim. They supply cables that their engineers have tested and staff have listened to them as well.

It isn't perfect but better than the alternatives.
Have you upgraded to Naim Super Lumina cables yet Mick, very expensive?

Steve is referring to the fact that, back in the mists of time, Naim were pretty sceptical about cable-foo and most Naim users were too - using their own cheap DIN interconnects and NACA4/5 or similar.

Then in the late 2000s or so (?) Naim went all foo-ish and weird, which happily coincided with their Oligarch Marketing Strategy.

That only tells that the company can think strategically and moves to the direction where additional performance lies. They were also somewhat skeptical about balanced connections and look at the New Classic series. Basic din interconnects and naca (though good definitely for the free cables) significantly limit what can be achieved with Naim system.

Good Morning,

contemplating new speaker cables for my valve amp and Tablette 10 speakers, been using QED Silver Anniversary, Fisual superflex 2.5mm and some solid core Audioquest FT-4, to be honest there's not much between them, if there is a winner the solid core is my favourite, i'm asking if spending more money will yield significate results, i bought an interconnect from Yiannis Tome which made a difference from some QED IC's and some VD Cable but it's cost was negligible between the others.
I don't want to spend a huge amount, up to £200 would be my max but some nice finished cable to last out my remaining years would be nice.
TT is Rega Planar 8 and Fono mc.
all the best.

I went with cable similar to this and was really impressed.
have a read up on reviews of their stuff. Ricable are an Italian company.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Itʼs true that Naim makes in a way their users life easier (including myself). But mostly it’s about Power lines, for interconnects and speaker it is not that straightforward. For example decision about Super Lumina should be made at some point.
I'm not as up on the latest Naim stuff but back when I was using their kit it was just a case of using NACA5 for the speaker cables and whatever SNAIC's you needed to wire the rest up.

NAC A5 has been with me for yonks. On a whim some years ago, I tried Chord Odyssey on my big Proacs and found differences but didn't develop an overarching preference. Each run was 11 metres. I happen to have had the Odyssey in situ when my big 2905 Quads came and I really thought I'd bought a lemon in my first ESL speakers. Changed back to NAC A5 and the relief was tangible! Sold the Chord toute suite.

At a very informative bake-off just pre-pandemic, 6 different speaker cables were brought to go between EAR valve integrated and the host's new Quad 2812s; this included NAC A5. There were 8 people present, incl. a knowledgeable classical music loving dealer.

The NAC A5 did reasonably well and was price-wise at the lower end. However, to unanimous agreement, the one which stood out- and then some, was True Signal. Never heard of them? Nor had I at that juncture. They weren't the costliest nor top in their range either! I was tempted, but 22 metres of ANY cable is not peanuts, and well north of a grand made me stick with the Naim. One day, perhaps, having heard them on very similar kit to my own.

Oh yes, I forgot! Why the guilt in the thread title?

You must be joking.. NVA needs only native cables by default,
Just your standard 2 x 4m of QED 79, NACA 5, Linn K20, etc, to form a Thiele network, isn't it? I remember the designer telling us on here that he went down the "use only NVA approved" cables because he grew tired of the phone calls asking about yet another cable from China that claimed miracles.
you could even break it,
Yes, as for Naim, Exposure and any other not unconditionally stable amps that like to have a hissy fit if they don't get cables that make up the right LC for a Thiele network.

I should think almost anything you could spend £200 on would make more difference than changing the speaker cables, if you want to improve the sound. You did ask!
Whereas I treat Townshend Isolda as a decent entry level speaker cable to get some idea of the performance of amp and speakers.
Ok, it's a little "flattering" often and there are better cables but they do get quite expensive quite quickly.

Whereas I treat Townshend Isolda as a decent entry level speaker cable to get some idea of the performance of amp and speakers.
Ok, it's a little "flattering" often and there are better cables but they do get quite expensive quite quickly.

I’m running one currently and quite happy with the sound however it is £1k per 3m

well done

Have you upgraded to Naim Super Lumina cables yet Mick, very expensive?
No I haven't because I am ok with the NAC5. However if I had to re route and extend the cables, it would be a consideration. But no way would it be non Naim cables because it's a leap into the unknown.

In my experience, to ensure transparency, a speaker cable must have a low resistance (no more than 5% of the nominal impedance of the connected speaker) and a low capacitance. So, if you want to ensure that your speaker cable has a minimal effect on the sound of your system, choose one on the basis of these parameters (i.e., one that has thick copper conductors spaced well apart). Good examples include Van Damme 6 mm2 HiFi speaker cable and Linn K20, neither of which are expensive.

Reactions: irb
I’d just pop to your local dealers, ask them for a few examples to home dem and see what you like.

The thing with asking for recommendations is everyone has their own opinion so getting an answer will be quite difficult. I use Townshend Audio Isolder cable, before that I’d used various Vand Den Hul cables, starting off with the CS122, then T-track to Magnum and finally, Revolution. I used to buy them ex-dem etc at the Bristol show years ago, always got a step up in performance as I went up the ladder. I’ve still got a 6m pair of D532’s sitting in my loft doing nothing that I bought new for another system (I must sell these.)

Anyways, find something you like buy it and then forget about it👍. S/H is probably best with your budget too.

n my experience, to ensure transparency, a speaker cable must have a low resistance (no more than 5% of the nominal impedance of the connected speaker) and a low capacitance
Agreed, and NAC A5 fits that bill. The longer the cables, the higher the R, but not to any great extent.
But no way would it be non Naim cables because it's a leap into the unknown.
Not really, Mick. Nothing magical about Naim's cables; in fact I think the original NAC A4 was made by Chord in Salisbury, but could be wrong there. I used Chord Odyssey (as in my post 27 above) which, being thinner, probably had a higher R. These 2 x 11m runs were fine on my 552 and 135s.

Buy second hand, ready “burnt in” :) nothing to go wrong and you can get quite expensive cables at reduced cost.

if you are willing to wait/search for a while, i would highly recommend NVA LS5.

advertisement

Back