advertisement

Why aren't Focal very popular?

It's a self evident fact that most people (and you can probably pick any group of people you like excepting musicians and others involved in the industry of course) are not intimately familiar with live instruments unamplified.

It's not self-evident at all, it's an assumption you've made. Many people go to see/hear live unamplified music.

I haven't heard their better passives or any of the ultra-high end stuff like the Grande Utopia EM's (although I would love to) but I am a fan of their active range - the CMS series are great vfm, the Solo and Twin 6 Be's are better yet and then the SM9's have been very well-received by the pro crowd, although they should be great at their price bracket!

Going back to the OP's question - "Why aren't Focal very popular" ??

My initial thought was to reply, "because they are generally mediocre and a little bit shi'ite".

Then I thought, hang on, they have been heavily advertised, reviewed, promoted with certain electronics brands, their ownership situ, etc,etc. Certainly they are very well known by most enthusiasts.

So, it seems logical that many/most of us have come across them at some point - either a dem, at a dealer, a show....... and yet few posters on here rave about them and seemingly own them. PFM members has to be as good a cross section as any and so fairly representative.

Fact is they are not generally loved OR bought. So maybe they are generally a little bit shi'ite after all. Like many on here, i've heard them, but never felt inclined to buy any.

I think the number of response from owners prove they are popular, as do their sales. They are comfortably a top ten speaker brand in the UK, not bad when we have such a great homegrown industry.

I've heard Focals at several shows, mostly they seem to sound sterile and a bit boom and tizz. However the Diablos (with DCS and Sugden) at one show sounded truly superb. At another show 806Vs with a budget TT and Sugden A21 sounded very good indeed - actually better than the mid priced stuff with Accuphase next door.

Seems like my experience is "love-hate" and somewhat in line with the views expressed in this thread.

It's not self-evident at all, it's an assumption you've made. Many people go to see/hear live unamplified music.

Not an assumption, a rational conclusion. There's a difference. 60 odd million people in the UK, care to put a figure on the number that have ever listened to live unamplified music? Every organised music event I've ever attended in my life has had all if not most of the instruments reinforced via amplification. Even the countless local pub bands. It's only due to having played drums and having a girlfriend from a musical family, (trumpet, violin and viola) in my 20's that I ever came in touch with live instruments. That and the odd pub jazz band where the brass/drums weren't amplified, and we all know how many people would ever go to see a jazz band. Even the few classical performances I've seen have been augmented by sound reinforcement.

They are messengers. Don't shoot 'em!

They are the opposite of Harbeth - they will reveal differences up the chain. They also prioritise phase accuracy over frequency accuracy. This is getting your priorities right in my book.

I am puzzled as to why they paired up with/bought Naim though because the likes of the Utopia and Electra Be ranges ruthlessly show up Naim weaknesses.

The reason for the original question was based on how surprised I was after replacing my PMC Db1 Gold with the Chorus 816v on the end of a Sugden Mystro amp. It was an absolute revelation as to how good they sounded. Even now I've got Neat Petite SX and I still think that overall I prefer the Focals and my next set will be some of the Be versions.

The guy I spoke to at analogue seduction recommended them for my Sugden amp along with Tannoy Precisions which were out of my price range. It's the first time a dealer suggested a product they don't stock (or have too much of in stock :) )

I can only assume the hatred is partly based on their rather strange styling, something I was happy to live with for the sound quality.

The reason for the original question was based on how surprised I was after replacing my PMC Db1 Gold with the Chorus 816v on the end of a Sugden Mystro amp. It was an absolute revelation as to how good they sounded. Even now I've got Neat Petite SX and I still think that overall I prefer the Focals and my next set will be some of the Be versions.

The guy I spoke to at analogue seduction recommended them for my Sugden amp along with Tannoy Precisions which were out of my price range. It's the first time a dealer suggested a product they don't stock (or have too much of in stock :) )

I can only assume the hatred is partly based on their rather strange styling, something I was happy to live with for the sound quality.

Tannoy DC is a viable alternative to Focals. I have Tannoy DCs. If I didn't, I would have something from Focal or Green Mountain.

Fact is they are not generally loved OR bought. So maybe they are generally a little bit shi'ite after all. Like many on here, i've heard them, but never felt inclined to buy any.

I'm not sure that is a fact - unless you know Focal's sales figures compared to other brands. I would say that a pretty good indicator (nothing is perfect) is how many Focal owners then change their speaker brand afterwards. I suspect - but can't prove - it is lower than most brands. Others I suspect have a very loyal following will be

ATC (because they are good - but having owned 3 types of ATC still prefer Focal)
Linn - because some Linn fanatics just can't see past them:D

People who attend hifi shows are not representative of the general hifi buying public. Most people go to Richer Sounds (or similar) to buy kit. Most buy brands they've heard of. Focal are not that well known (their advertising for serious speakers is predominantly in hifi mags that only hifi nerds like us read).

Therefore average Joe Public who doesn't spend much on hifi would never hear of Focal.

Maybe I should start a poll of Focal/ex Focal owners to see what proportion have moved brands after owning them. I won't be changing....

1007be's worked great in my old, larger ( but shared) lounge. Had a bugger of a time to get them to work in my new, smaller but dedicated music room.
I tried some other brands but I just knew that there was something missing that I knew Focals could/should give. Ended up getting some 2nd hand 1008be's at a bargain price. YES! I have now got the sound that I knew I wanted.
If I changed speakers again, Focals would definitely be top of the list. Not sure my existing room is big enough to work with 1028's or Diablos, but I'd try them if I could, just for the hell of it.
South of £7 or £8k, I've not heard anything I'd change for. And I've heard a fair few.
Matt.

advertisement

Back