advertisement

Why aren't Focal very popular?

Agreed 100% Colin and I have heard some world class drummers going at it live. ATC cant even imitate 1% of it. Even PMC can only manage 2%

They do a better job than most but not the best bub. See above ;)

If you'd like to hear a realistic rendition of a drum kit, ATC actives are what you need. They will literally deafen you if you play them loud enough.

To be fair, though, anything will literally deafen you if it's loud enough, even a bumble bee, so that doesn't tell us much. ;)

I suspect what you meant was that ATC will produce literally deafening SPLs more cleanly than many loudspeakers, which may be true provided you haev the amplification necessary. But, again to be fair, other loudspeakers will also do the same, including, I rather suspect, some Focals.

To be fair, though, anything will literally deafen you if it's loud enough, even a bumble bee, so that doesn't tell us much. ;)

I suspect what you meant was that ATC will produce literally deafening SPLs more cleanly than many loudspeakers, which may be true provided you haev the amplification necessary.

They're active, well the ones I am talking about are.

Are you now doubting that ATCs are the best? You said 100% agree. I don't think you can go back on that now.

Agreed 100% Colin

Nice try.

I have never heard any system come close to my own for my tastes in rock music Bub and that includes ATC :p I will be interested to see how your set up copes with my "Shellac" test

Nice try.

I have never heard any system come close to my own for my tastes in rock music Bub and that includes ATC :p I will be interested to see how your set up copes with my "Shellac" test

There's only one way to find out.

Loudness and dynamics are not the same thing

Any speaker will deafen you if you can play it loud enough

No speaker has the dynamic range to match an orchestra or drum kit

Agreed. First line particularly important to separate the wheat from the chaff: in general turning the volume down is a better test of the quality than turning it up. Dynamics far more important to me than ultimate volume and that includes when playing Zeppelin.

Turning up is also a good test - low distortion should be cleaner and more listenable at high volume levels. Many systems just fall apart as the sound turns up beyond a certain point

Turning up is also a good test - low distortion should be cleaner and more listenable at high volume levels. Many systems just fall apart as the sound turns up beyond a certain point

Many more fall apart as the sound becomes quieter.

I would have to disagree with your analysis. Whilst it's probably true that classical instruments may have become brighter, (I believe modern concert Steinways are considered brighter than their older brethren for example) and that the use of direct injection in to the mixing consoles definitely provides a brighter/cleaner sound than a mic'd up fender/marshal cab. I would still argue that most people just wouldn't want the full on rasp and brashness of a trumpet (especially a muted one) in their living room. I think most people in to hi-fi (and most people in general) are completely unaware of how bright and brash some live instruments are. Violins are another example, they can be almost grating at times and I'm sure that most hi-fi buffs would consider a violin to be a sweet mellifluous sounding instrument and that's what they expect their systems to portray.

I am of course referring to live, raw un-amplified instruments played in close proximity i.e. exactly how most of them are recorded.

If anyone is in any doubt of what I say, I'd suggest getting behind an acoustic drum kit and bashing about on it for 30 minutes and seeing how your ears feel. I have never had this experience from (acoustic) drum based music at any volume from a hi-fi.
I agree with you about real instruments, A close violin can strip wallpaper, drums are REALLY loud and the cymbals have a sting.
I think though, that direct injection and using PA speakers with excess treble and huge reflex cabinets instead of stacks of Marshalls has lead to a major change in the sound of a live band. I used to see heavy rock acts where the bass player might as well have stayed at home. I saw Pierre Moelens Gong with a bright PA and the electric violin and percussion were
seering

If you aren't going to listen at those high levels then what's the point?

My system falls apart beyond a certain point as the cheapo tweeter in the SBLs breaks up, but fortunately I don't listen at those levels :) I'll admit that that level is only just above what I do listen at, but so what?

I reckon my system holds its own at low volumes. Very well. Against commonly prejudiced opinion....

Why do you think that you are the only person who has noticed what live instruments actually sound like?

Where did you get that from my post? Most doesn't not equate to nobody. It's a self evident fact that most people (and you can probably pick any group of people you like excepting musicians and others involved in the industry of course) are not intimately familiar with live instruments unamplified.

advertisement

Back