advertisement

Why are vintage JBL speakers so expensive?

I never get sick of the serious industrial design of these when they have their skirts on TBH.

4430_pairgrills.jpg

Those really are something special, though to be honest I think I'd prefer a mint pair of original blue-face ones!

Those really are something special, though to be honest I think I'd prefer a mint pair of original blue-face ones!
You would get them cheaper (and with less risk) direct from Kenrick Sound in Japan.
I agree about the original blue JBLs, and not everything I've heard about the 'Kenrick sound' has been complementary - though I've never heard a pair myself.
Hifido and Audiounion seem to represent much better value.

I never get sick of the serious industrial design of these when they have their skirts on TBH.

4430_pairgrills.jpg

Seriously good speakers, too: low distortion, controlled dispersion, pretty flat response and excellent power handling! I still harbour dreams of a pair of 4430s - even though they would not physically fit through my front door.
Had a chance to buy a pair of very reasonably priced 4425s (single 12" LF driver) and few years ago, but had nowhere to put them and didn't want to get rid of the Yams. Oh well.

IME if you have ever played electric bass guitar, you will hear good JBL monitors and experience a "must have" moment very quickly.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm sat here this morning listening to The Eagles Greatest Hits 1971-1975.

I know! No cred but I've known this album for 40 years so it's a constant and there was some mighty fine music written in those years.

Any of you remember the first time you heard your favourite albums played back on an LP12/Ittok combination? How everything simply made more musical sense, authentic, and was easier to follow?

Listening to this on the big JBL's is like those first listens to an LP12 in the early eighties.

That's compared to so many high end loudspeakers I've enjoyed over the years. I always try to explain this as big classic JBL's being voiced from the bottom up whereas almost everything else I hear is voiced from the top down. Maybe it's a simple as that, but the stick work on tracks like Lying Eyes and the simple electric bass line on the same track are spookily realistic and the whole track enjoys (in flat earth terms) a degree of PRAT that lovers of vintage Linn turntables would really appreciate IMHO.

For me personally, ALL of the very best big JBL's were effectively very large two ways. Those are the ones to look for - although the 4343/4344 is also a delightful monitor that works in surprisingly small listening environments.

I always try to explain this as big classic JBL's being voiced from the bottom up whereas almost everything else I hear is voiced from the top down.

Nailed it!
They have a natural weight and timing in the bottom end that was way ahead of anything else...

The 4 ways etc. lose a bit of that as the passive crossovers aren't really all that happy at the lowish x-over frequencies that were used...the designers have admitted that actually but it's all they had available at the time.

Where else could you source a nice set other than eBay? There are lots of japanese sites but I wouldn't know where to start with buying a pair!

advertisement

Back