advertisement

Why are vintage JBL speakers so expensive?

Yes thats the article that damns the L200 (and the 4325/6 ) !
Many L200s were sold in the far east though

The bass unit in the L300 (and the professional version, 4333 methinks) is the 2235/136A - a far superior device to the LE15B.
If i ever find a pair of 136A woofers out here ( or the PA driver 2225 which can be reconed and 'transformed' into the 136A) i would make new X overs and i would sorta have the coveted L300/4333 !
Not easy to get here in Malaysia or anywhere except the US i guess.

Originally they used 2231/136A, they are alnico, the 2235 is the later ferrite version(slight change in sound) the 2225 basket is also ferrite and can take the cbr2235h cone kit to make a 2235H not a 136A. If you find some ex Pro use 2231/136A's they might need re-magging.

Blue orange or brown - take your pick :)

101012_JBL%20L100%20Century%20speaker.jpg

I have a sizeable pair of JBLs tucked away under a futon in one of the bedrooms, I guess I really should dig them out and sort out refoaming them. They're a passive three way from about 82.

I have a sizeable pair of JBLs tucked away under a futon in one of the bedrooms, I guess I really should dig them out and sort out refoaming them. They're a passive three way from about 82.

If they're L110s they're well worth resuscitating. Basically a domesticated version of the professional 4313. Think of it as an L100 that has been to the gym and finishing school.

Originally they used 2231/136A, they are alnico, the 2235 is the later ferrite version(slight change in sound) the 2225 basket is also ferrite and can take the cbr2235h cone kit to make a 2235H not a 136A. If you find some ex Pro use 2231/136A's they might need re-magging.

Thanks for that very accurate info.
By re magging u must mean re magnetisation ? i just learnt from an earlier post that alnicos gradually lose their magnetsation.
I do remember watching a youtube vid on those awesome JBL restorations by that company in Japan and they had this device that did just that !

If they're L110s they're well worth resuscitating. Basically a domesticated version of the professional 4313. Think of it as an L100 that has been to the gym and finishing school.

Thanks for that Mignum I've checked them out the Radiance 99VX.

Wow, what have I started here!!

I've been doing more research and they certainly make some awesome looking speakers. Love the L4430 (? I think that's the model) sadly they're very rare in this country and also hideously expensive....

Like everything in life..supply and demand. I personally am not a JBL fanboy so they have no value to me, in the same way that Alfa Montreals have no value to others. If I hadn't thrown 38 Grand away on my Maserati Gransport I would have most probably been happily cruising around in a red one, concourse condition, I so very nearly bought some years ago for the same price and regret to this day..

The 4435 is the big brother of the 4430 - 2dB more sensitive, significantly more power handling.

Two 15" woofers. Maybe challenging to fit in many UK rooms.

The larger Four Series monitors are genuine classics that are genuinely addictive IME.

Heard a pair at the Indulgence show. They were being powered by Mark Levinson amps I think.

The JBLs were quite possibly the best speakers I heard there. This is saying something given I also listened to Kef Blades, Focal SM6s, active LS50s, some great Dynaudio speakers and a host of other expensive ones.

Jack

Wow these are epic. Are they yours? Care to sell them? :D

I also really like the 4430 which are the smaller of the two sizes right? They'd probably suit me more. My wife gave me enough of a roasting when I rocked up at home with a pair of Tannoy Berkelys, I think she'd have my head on the block if I got some 4430's haha...

Put it this way: they weren't particularly cheap, and I'm not keen to part with them as yet. They sound bloody amazing - very clean, well-articulated bass with no issues at all despite the two 15" drivers and the modest room. Treble is sweet, too.

As it happens, I've just sourced a couple of Bryston amps and an external crossover, so am looking forward to going active.

I think they fetch less in the UK than the rest of the world TBH.

I've seen old 43xx series go for half what they would in Japan, etc.

advertisement

Back