advertisement

Why are grammar schools elitist?

Well I thought your unpleasant comment about solicitors got deleted? Was it another thread? Anyway, that and the fact that you seem to be quite aggressive (at least to me) and rude in attempt to put people down by referring to their comments as ignorant. I've seen people get banned for less (again, seems like less at least to me).

Well I thought your unpleasant comment about solicitors got deleted? Was it another thread? Anyway, that and the fact that you seem to be quite aggressive (at least to me) and rude in attempt to put people down by referring to their comments as ignorant. I've seen people get banned for less (again, seems like less at least to me).

hmmm! You are entitled to your ( dare i say rather precious) views....

Referring to your comments as ignorant is accurate because they reflect a deep lack of real knowledge and understanding

Is that better?

Simon

Yes

A very old fashioned single sex one with all the usual crusty old traditions one often attributes to Public schools

And still going strong

I repeat my question

Why?

Simon

i suppose if all these well funded grammar schools are located in areas of poverty to give the children of under privileged families a good start educationally then I'm all for it.

Why would he get kicked off? Losing the argument to at least three highly experienced educational professionals here is far more amusing! I know qualification, knowledge and experience count for nothing these days in Toryland, but it us still fun to watch for those of us who do still respect such things! ;-)

PS for the record Simon had not done anything wrong from an AUP perspective at all. I've no issue whatsoever with the topic/question whatsoever and I don't know why you'd think I would have.

Thank you so much Tony. This has kept a smile on my face since I read it!

You once dissed my bathroom on a thread but I forgave you and turned the other cheek.

That is certainly not a representation of what i said

Your post is a self evidently ridiculous attempt use the "straw man" to try to score a point

All students need help including the most able

My gripe is that it ok to help less able but not ok (elitist) to help the most able

Now try again...

You asked why, if it was ok to give people assessed with special needs extra help why was it also not ok to give the brightest extra help. Special Educational Needs means people who, through no fault of their own and for a variety of reasons, need extra help. If you didn't mean SEN and just meant students with differing academic abilities then you don't really have a point because all those student are already treated, if not the same, then equally.

So your point is either at best misinformed or at worse stupid and offensive or else you don't really have a point at all.

You asked why, if it was ok to give people assessed with special needs extra help why was it also not ok to give the brightest extra help. Special Educational Needs means people who, through no fault of their own and for a variety of reasons, need extra help. If you didn't mean SEN and just meant students with differing academic abilities then you don't really have a point because all those student are already treated, if not the same, then equally.

So your point is either at best misinformed or at worse stupid and offensive or else you don't really have a point at all.

Or all four?

What is your educational background?

317b390.jpg

Ofsted 2013 report;

In response to these findings, HM Chief Inspector, Sir Michael Wilshaw, said:

If we are going to succeed as an economy and as a society, we have to make more of our most able young people. We need them to become the political, commercial and professional leaders of tomorrow.

Too many non-selective schools are failing to nurture scholastic excellence. While the best of these schools provide excellent opportunities, many of our most able students receive mediocre provision. Put simply, they are not doing well enough because their secondary schools fail to challenge and support them sufficiently from the beginning. I believe the term ‘special needs’ should be as relevant to the most able as it is to those who require support for their learning difficulties. Yet some of the schools visited for this survey did not even know who their most able students were. This is completely unacceptable.

It is a serious concern that many non-selective schools fail to imbue their most able students with the confidence and high ambition that characterise many students in the selective or independent sector. Why should the most able students in the non-selective sector not have the same belief that they, too, can reach the top?

Controversial use of the term 'Special Needs' from the boss of Ofsted....

advertisement

Back