advertisement

Who's had good results from upgraded power lead II

Maybe I'm being a bit too pedantic (I tend to...) but shouldn't we take a closer look at this testing process and define a few aspects:

1) What are the objectives of this exercise?
a. To develop, based on the tests, a conclusion?
b. To identify, based on tests & results, what else needs to be done?

2) What "deliverables" do we want to come out of the process?
a. For "subjective assessment"?
b. For "objective assessment"?

3) How the desired deliverables influence the methodology of testing?
a. Subjective testing criteria and "scoring"?
b. Objective testing criteria and required measurements?
c. Do we need to use absolute or relative assessment techniques?
d. If absolute, do we need to define "result-to-score" logic
e. If relative, what do we use as a baseline?
f. etc..

If we fail to reach consensus on the above, it is highly likely that we will battle to reach consensus on any interpretation of the results - which will likely make the whole process a waste of time and effort for those involved (apart from any lessons learned in the process...).

Also, we are fast approaching New Year and thereafter it's going to be "back to the grindstone" for most, so the window of opportunity to get this done during the holiday period is effectively closed. This means that any testing process will have to be done once all are back at work - when spare time is even more precious.

I also don't think its fair on whoever gets lumbered with the testing to expect him/her to tackle any process which lacks structure and defined outcomes - in rugby terms, it's something of a "hospital pass"...

Or am I seeing problems where none exist?

PS: Please note careful circumnavigation of any mention of cricket... :) Well done, England - a deserved win!
A cable such as the 2 i use are designed to do this, remove as much RFI as possible entering the equipment, to supply the equipment with a clean power supply, to maintain as low an impedance as possble, the test needs to measure the output of the equipment with the stock lead in place & then with the after market lead in place to see if the measurements change for better or worse or not at all.

Anyone buys such a cable for the reasons mentioned above, the test would show if they do as stated, after this process, if for example it showed nothing, then there is nothing, if it showed a change then they do as stated.

Any outcome from this is then down to a subjective view, if it improves sound quality is down to the individual but it would at the very least show if they have an effect, be it a positive or negative effect.

Obviously the details would have to be bashed out, no regenerators in the path, no form of filtering etc,, it needs to stripped bare for a test such as this as any of the aforementioned could affect how such a cable works, & is how & why people buy them, in my case it is anyhow.

I would imagine such a test to be quite straight forward for any competent electronics engineer to carry out, if, after spending time on previous cable threads are any measure for competence in this area.

Why not at all fair?
When two sides are in dispute over whether 2+2=4 or 7 one side may be prepared to accept the site owner's compromise value but the other almost certainly won't even if offered 5 rather 6. Believers in that scientific stuff really are quite unreasonable most of the time.

When two sides are in dispute over whether 2+2=4 or 7 one side may be prepared to accept the site owner's compromise value but the other almost certainly won't even if offered 5 rather 6. Believers in that scientific stuff really are quite unreasonable most of the time.

Yeah I went to see one of those science women GP types today about my bout of Flu, she told it was down to evil spirits.

Science is as 2+2=4? Is this a joke?
It was intended to be a partly humorous and partly serious. Science predicts the outcome of experiments unambiguously and is unable to accommodate the compromises often sort by people trying to resolve a dispute by being reasonable (without understanding).

Earlier this month the two thousandth exoplanet had been discovered.

http://www.openexoplanetcatalogue.com

Before 1994 we knew of precisely zero exoplanets, though many astronomers felt it was only a matter of time before detection methods had advanced to the point that such discoveries were possible.

My point is not to use this as an example of science being able to say something with great certainty today that it could not some 20 years ago, but to point out how much more interesting and stimulating it is to know that more than 2,000 worlds outside our solar system are known to exist than it is to argue (whatever your stance) over a couple of metres of an insulated conductor between the wall receptacle and your kit.

It blows my mind that whenever the topic of mains cables comes up it generates more posts and friction than just about any other far more interesting and relevant topic can. I mean, holy fukc, we're at the mains cable thread part II: electric boogaloo stage of the discussion.

Joe

I agree Joe but really the mains cable part of this thread was over long ago, it`s just odd stuff now and commiserations to Devillears on the cricket but we`re going to celebrate with a bottle of Mr. Sainsburys fine champagne while listening to Siegfried without an aftermarket cable anywhere to be seen.

Earlier this month the two thousandth exoplanet had been discovered.

http://www.openexoplanetcatalogue.com

Before 1994 we knew of precisely zero exoplanets, though many astronomers felt it was only a matter of time before detection methods had advanced to the point that such discoveries were possible.

My point is not to use this as an example of science being able to say something with great certainty today that it could not some 20 years ago, but to point out how much more interesting and stimulating it is to know that more than 2,000 worlds outside our solar system are known to exist than it is to argue (whatever your stance) over a couple of metres of an insulated conductor between the wall receptacle and your kit.

It blows my mind that whenever the topic of mains cables comes up it generates more posts and friction than just about any other far more interesting and relevant topic can. I mean, holy fukc, we're at the mains cable thread part II: electric boogaloo stage of the discussion.

Joe
What do you think the reason is Joe, i get drawn in quite easily to provocation, i find it difficult to restrain from abuse disguised as wit, i imagine someone with an obviously level head you may have the answer, it is odd i agree.
Cables, religion & Top gear, how strange.

I find the universe a fascinating subject, it is my personal favourite topic & has been all of my life, it rarely gets discussed here, even this has caused problems from experience here.

I have my own theories but dare not share them for fear of a ban :)

I agree Joe but really the mains cable part of this thread was over long ago, it`s just odd stuff now and commiserations to Devillears on the cricket but we`re going to celebrate with a bottle of Mr. Sainsburys fine champagne while listening to Siegfried without an aftermarket cable anywhere to be seen.

Go for it mate - I'll settle for drowning sorrows in copious amounts of beer

What do you think the reason is Joe, i get drawn in quite easily to provocation, i find it difficult to restrain from abuse disguised as wit, i imagine someone with an obviously level head you may have the answer, it is odd i agree.
Cables, religion & Top gear, how strange.

I find the universe a fascinating subject, it is my personal favourite topic & has been all of my life, it rarely gets discussed here, even this has caused problems from experienced here.

I have my own theories but dare not share them for fear of a ban :)

I guess we all have a threshold that varies depending on other totally unrelated pressures that, when reached, causes the brain to be switched out of circuit with the mouth/fingers (delete whichever inapplicable)... :)

I think the issue is that some of you aren't as lazy as I am. If you were half the sloth I am you'd lose interest in posting even before you finish

I am not interested in wire. I am interested in why significant numbers of people believe wire is magical (although obviously they do not call it that). I have some interest in exoplanets but a lot more in people and what they believe.

advertisement

Back