advertisement

Who has heard the new Proac Tablette 10?

How were the Neat Ministras by the way? So little out there on user's reports.

The Ministras were real contenders against the Proac DB1s and the somewhat larger Harbeth 30.1s. Ministras had an excellent midrange. The ‘isobaric loading’ ( a second internal woofer) made them very potent in the bass; once again, it wasn’t hard to overload my lively room (sprung wood floor over basement space) with recording mix heavy handed with the bass; again the ‘Killing the Blues’ example from R Plant & A Krauss. Again, can’t fault the speaker as such. Personally, I found the ribbon tweeter, AMT type a bit too much for my ears; plenty of good high frequency detail to be sure, but to the point of emphasis of hiss or sibilance in the recording. Therefore, I preferred the voicing of the Proac soft dome tweeter, and found the mid range and vocals closer to the BBC legacy style I’m drawn to...

BTW, I loved the ATC SCM11s, the bass seemed just right, articulate, no tendency to boom, not getting in the way of a lovely midrange and higher notes. At the time, I probably didn’t have the amp horsepower they want to open up, at least not at the lower volumes I’m inclined to; usually not much above 9 o’clock on the Naim Nait XS dial...definite respect for those ATCs, with the right partner...

Goat, I’d love to hear more about the Spendor Classic 4/5s, and what they bring to a crowded field of re-imaginings of the LS3/5 genre

The Ministras were real contenders against the Proac DB1s and the somewhat larger Harbeth 30.1s. Ministras had an excellent midrange. The ‘isobaric loading’ ( a second internal woofer) made them very potent in the bass; once again, it wasn’t hard to overload my lively room (sprung wood floor over basement space) with recording mix heavy handed with the bass; again the ‘Killing the Blues’ example from R Plant & A Krauss. Again, can’t fault the speaker as such. Personally, I found the ribbon tweeter, AMT type a bit too much for my ears; plenty of good high frequency detail to be sure, but to the point of emphasis of hiss or sibilance in the recording. Therefore, I preferred the voicing of the Proac soft dome tweeter, and found the mid range and vocals closer to the BBC legacy style I’m drawn to...

BTW, I loved the ATC SCM11s, the bass seemed just right, articulate, no tendency to boom, not getting in the way of a lovely midrange and higher notes. At the time, I probably didn’t have the amp horsepower they want to open up, at least not at the lower volumes I’m inclined to; usually not much above 9 o’clock on the Naim Nait XS dial...definite respect for those ATCs, with the right partner...

Goat, I’d love to hear more about the Spendor Classic 4/5s, and what they bring to a crowded field of re-imaginings of the LS3/5 genre

Exellent, thanks for the helpful writeup. Sounds like the ministra is a good speaker, but perhaps a bit much in the highs and lows, depending on taste / room etc.

Yep, completely agree on the ATC SCM11. It's the only other speaker I sometimes regret not buying, because as you say, in an average room, the bass is ideal. Just like the 4/5s (and I'd imagine the proac tablettes) in terms of control and integration, but just slightly more of it; that extra little bit can be nice. And that's combined with some other great virtues, so a brilliant all rounder IMO.

I feel I've already waffled on about the 4/5 too much in this post, haha:

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr...out-the-new-spendor-classic-4-5.241662/page-5

But in summary, after 4 months of ownership:

- soundstaging and imaging is top notch. They sound a lot bigger than they look.
- silky, but detailed highs. That's usually a very good thing, but occasionally on crunching rock a bit more edge would be good.
- non-fatiguing, but still very detailed and revealing.
- bass is tuneful, punchy and perfectly integrated. Generally satisfying, but sometimes lust for a touch deeper (to be fair I have them 50cm+ clear of any walls)
-very fast. Music almost sounds speeded up sometimes.
- voices and instruments sound natural and just lovely.

Overall, still love them. There have been other speakers that play specific tracks better. I still remember the Dynaudio Special 40s playing Helicopter by Bloc Party and being blown away by their dynamic, foot tapping performance for instance. Likewise on something like Jurassic 5. But on most other music they could be a bit too explicit and tiring, nor as seductive in tone. So horses for courses really. The ATC SCM11 sounded amazing on funk records and stuff with a sultry groove. But of all the speakers I've now demoed or owned, the 4/5s have been my overall favourite, (very closely followed by) ATC SCM11 and someway behind those, the Dynaudio S40s.

Definitely still have an itch to listen to some proacs though. And maybe the Harbeth 30.2, but they are crazy money.

Exellent, thanks for the helpful writeup. Sounds like the ministra is a good speaker, but perhaps a bit much in the highs and lows, depending on taste / room etc.

Yep, completely agree on the ATC SCM11. It's the only other speaker I sometimes regret not buying, because as you say, in an average room, the bass is ideal. Just like the 4/5s (and I'd imagine the proac tablettes) in terms of control and integration, but just slightly more of it; that extra little bit can be nice. And that's combined with some other great virtues, so a brilliant all rounder IMO.

I feel I've already waffled on about the 4/5 too much in this post, haha:

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr...out-the-new-spendor-classic-4-5.241662/page-5

But in summary, after 4 months of ownership:

- soundstaging and imaging is top notch. They sound a lot bigger than they look.
- silky, but detailed highs. That's usually a very good thing, but occasionally on crunching rock a bit more edge would be good.
- non-fatiguing, but still very detailed and revealing.
- bass is tuneful, punchy and perfectly integrated. Generally satisfying, but sometimes lust for a touch deeper (to be fair I have them 50cm+ clear of any walls)
-very fast. Music almost sounds speeded up sometimes.
- voices and instruments sound natural and just lovely.

Overall, still love them. There have been other speakers that play specific tracks better. I still remember the Dynaudio Special 40s playing Helicopter by Bloc Party and being blown away by their dynamic, foot tapping performance for instance. Likewise on something like Jurassic 5. But on most other music they could be a bit too explicit and tiring, nor as seductive in tone. So horses for courses really. The ATC SCM11 sounded amazing on funk records and stuff with a sultry groove. But of all the speakers I've now demoed or owned, the 4/5s have been my overall favourite, (very closely followed by) ATC SCM11 and someway behind those, the Dynaudio S40s.

Definitely still have an itch to listen to some proacs though. And maybe the Harbeth 30.2, but they are crazy money.

I've never found ls3/5a variant to have big soundstage. They have soundstage depth, but in terms of width, it always felt like you are listening between the boxes and never beyond.

What other 3/5a variant have you heard? So I know what you are comparing against

I've never found ls3/5a variant to have big soundstage. They have soundstage depth, but in terms of width, it always felt like you are listening between the boxes and never beyond.

What other 3/5a variant have you heard? So I know what you are comparing against

Not listened to other 3/5a varients (other than the original Kef LS50) unfortunately. Only a lot of other, more modern standmounts.

I guess we all hear things differently, and maybe define soundstaging differently. Personally I find the soundstage wide and quite enveloping. As mentioned a while back, I found the ATCs projected the soundstage forward into the room a bit, whereas the 4/5s soundstage is similarly detailed, but hangs back a bit.

Whereas my experience of Kef speakers (R100, LS50 and R3) is that they image incredibly, with almost lazer cut separation, but there isn't the same sense of lush, coherent soundscape/clear window into recordings, as you get with the 4/5s or ATCs. All personal interpretation though.

Coincidentally, Stereophile have just reviewed the Falcon Gold Badge LS3/5a, and say in the introduction:

"The Falcon LS3/5a's primary virtues include:

• They throw a wall-penetrating, precisely mapped, extraordinarily detailed soundstage..."

Different speaker though of course but still interesting.

Been reading this thread with great interest.

I've got the Dali Opticon 2 Mk2 which I love, smooth detailed enveloping sound I can listen to for hours at low volumes (55-70db). But I fancy getting a hold of a pair of Proacs too because, well, just because.

What's the sense of scale like with the Tablette 10s - would they likely, at a guess, come across as much smaller in scaler compared to the Opticons? (bigger speaker with 6.5in woofer)

p.s. stumbled across this. Yeah I know, kind of idiotic getting audio impressions off crappy YouTube vids but, but, assuming it's even vaguely representative: initially the Proacs detail and clarity had me for the win, but after re-listening there's something highly seductive and natural about that Harbeth sound. What's a man to do?

Can these rock at lower volumes? All I can find on YouTube is the usual singer and slow jazz fare, not that there is anything wrong with that but how do they sound with punk, metal etc. ... stuff that isn't hifi show ... ?

Do they have reasonably full mids or are they more on the resolving, thin side?

I love the look, size ... and price.

p.s. stumbled across this. Yeah I know, kind of idiotic getting audio impressions off crappy YouTube vids but, but, assuming it's even vaguely representative: initially the Proacs detail and clarity had me for the win, but after re-listening there's something highly seductive and natural about that Harbeth sound. What's a man to do?

That was very interesting. I listened with my eyes closed so I would not know which speaker was playing, there are pretty major differences in presentation. One leaving you in a very relaxed state of mind, the other more ‘alive and dramatic. Both good in their own way, but if I had to listen to only one all day, it would be the Harbeth, at least for the type of music being played. Think I need to add to my audition list...

It all boils down to personal preference. I had the P3ESRs for several months and now have the ProAc Tablette 10 Signatures. They're both fantastic mini monitors of the LS3/5a variety but their presentation is at opposite ends of the spectrum and YMMV depending on what you listen to and the rest of your kit. It's great that used P3ESRs can be bought for a decent price and can be sold on easily.

IME, the ProAcs can rock at lower (and higher) volumes. Whatever your thoughts might be about the format, last night I uploaded a vid (recorded on my iphone) to YouTube of the the ProAcs playing Pink Floyd at 88db in my 3.8m by 7.5m room (and listening through a pair of earbuds or headphones it'll at the very least give you something to think about) - if I ever make such a vid again I'll make sure I put my iphone on a stand:

It all boils down to personal preference. I had the P3ESRs for several months and now have the ProAc Tablette 10 Signatures. They're both fantastic mini monitors of the LS3/5a variety but their presentation is at opposite ends of the spectrum and YMMV depending on what you listen to and the rest of your kit. It's great that used P3ESRs can be bought for a decent price and can be sold on easily.

IME, the ProAcs can rock at lower (and higher) volumes. Whatever your thoughts might be about the format, last night I uploaded a vid (recorded on my iphone) to YouTube of the the ProAcs playing Pink Floyd at 88db in my 3.8m by 7.5m room (and listening through a pair of earbuds or headphones it'll at the very least give you something to think about) - if I ever make such a vid again I'll make sure I put my iphone on a stand:

I enjoyed that, even through cheap earbud headphones!

They sound (and look) great.

Very nice,
Thanks! Clearly if you enjoyed that through cheap earbuds there's no need for you to spend £££ on hi-fi..... :D

Pretty much everything sounds good through headphones, right? Have to admit, that sounded very good, I can easily see why you would prefer Proac for more energetic fare (being a Proac owner myself). Can you get your P3ESRs back and make a comparison video :D

Very nice,

Pretty much everything sounds good through headphones, right? Have to admit, that sounded very good, I can easily see why you would prefer Proac for more energetic fare (being a Proac owner myself). Can you get your P3ESRs back and make a comparison video :D

Everything apart from Norwegian Death Metal and Country and Western. Thanks, and no, the Harbeths aren't returning as I prefer the ProAcs in general. I've just re-watched a bit of the video and it looks like I'm sat right in front of the speakers but I'm actually 2.5m away from the baffle!

I've had Tab 10 in a high ceiling square room aprox 4x4.5 m, they couldn't fill that size room satisfying IMO.
Don't expect miracles, though I certainly buy into speakers that are designed to work against rear wall.

I see there’s a pair of Tablette 10 Signatures in cherry on eBay with a starting price of £850. Could be a bit of a bargain for someone!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Proac-Ta...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

It didn't sell. Probably would have a little cheaper.

There is one thing I don't quite understand; This is a sealed cabinet speaker. The Signature has a fixed phase plug that does not move with the cone. I guess at lower volume and with little cone movement that does not matter but with higher volume/cone excursion it becomes vented no?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I would have bought em if I didn’t have a pair already. These are £1,500 speakers so £850 all in is a good price. (a pair of vanilla Tab 10s sold recently for £800)

It’s indeed an infinite baffle speaker so there’s no venting going on here. The phase plug simply replaces the regular dust cap and is fixed to the middle of the diaphragm where the magnet and voice coil is. The woofer moves independently of the phase plug.

advertisement

Back