advertisement

Who Can Speak From Experience On Vintage vs. Modern Equipment Sonic Quality?

naimnut

Deep in the Mines of Soul
It is well known that certain pieces of vintage equipment fetch very high prices in certain parts of the world. The recent comments on LS 3/5a madness offers a case in point.

The purpose of this thread is to request the comments of those who have experienced the quality/lack of it with some of the so-sought-after vintage pieces. How do these pieces compare to current equipment or equipment of later vintage? Is the hype valid? Or simply the result of mass/shared beliefs?

Part of the reason I ask is that, near where I live, a JBL Paragon speaker system recently went up for auction, fetching over $9,000. Comparable pieces can be seen on Audiogon for 15k. Yet one poster on a different forum said that these pieces were often sonically inferior to less expensive, newer pieces. Old driver surrounds may have stiffened, or be damaged, or the fundamental design may have intrinsic limitations which would render the sound "dated" by comparison to new designs and technology.

Also, from personal experience, I can speak to the idea that some pieces of equipment can be a breakthrough. I remember spending a day with a high quality passive preamp - it made the 72/hicap I was comparing it to sound like a muffled, soggy muddle by comparison (note that I own and use a 72/hicap). But perhaps the sonic compromises with the 72/'cap were due to impedance mismatches between the preamp and the vtl 225 tube amplifiers? I don't know...

Sometimes equipment must be carefully matched to demonstrate its full potential and those who denigrate it have heard it incorrectly set up.

So, for those of you who have experience and can share your experiences hearing properly set up vintage gear, I'd very much appreciate reading your comments here. Of particular interest are these Altec 17s, 19s and other horn-based systems, tannoys, Klipschs, tubes, quads, electrostatics, etc.

Hope others will be as interested in this topic as I am.

Joel, I hope you'll share your experiences in Japan, in particular.

Markus

To a large extent, it's a matter of individual taste, but for mine (nearly 100% classical, mainly baroque, never played very loudly and no need for bass on the Richter scale), old stuff really does the business. My tiny specific experience is thus:

1. My 1981 vintage Rogers LS3/5as sounded better than a pair of small, much more modern B&Ws (number forgotten, but Kevlar cones and rear-ported).

2. My Quad 44 is undistinguishable from an EAR 834 valve pre-amp played through the same Quad 606 and the abovementioned Rogers.

3. And Quad ESL57s are marvellous, when they condescend to work!

One aspect to consider in this debate is how the overall sound presentation of loudspeakers in particular has changed over the years. Things were more laid back and smoother in the 60's and 70's thanks to big drivers in big boxes and cone tweeters, but with the advent of metal dome tweeters and metal/kevlar/carbon fibre cones, speakers tend to be a more incisive/harsh* these days.

* - delete as applicable!

Thusforthly, if you prefer your sounds warmer and more laid back, it's highly likley an older pair of speakers will fit the bill, whilst someone else will view them as being slow and dull.

Personally i can happily listen to either type and appreciated their relative merits, but my current choice of main speakers is big, old and bassy (Ferrograph S1 monitors) - i am, however, considering a further tweeter upgrade to the one i made on them 5 years ago.

Beobloke said:
Thusforthly, if you prefer your sounds warmer and more laid back, it's highly likley an older pair of speakers will fit the bill,
This certainly does not apply to vintage Klipsch or other compression driver / horn speakers, which is basically what we're talking about here :)

Markus Sauer said:
tones, are yours back from Manfred Stein?
Depends on which time we're talking about, Markus! They were refurnished by Quad Musikwiedergabe and came back sounding absolutely wonderful. Then, a few months back, one abruptly lost most of its volume. Manfred has said that he'll pick it up next time he swings through Swizzieland. I guess I could drive it up to Koblenz, but I haven't the time at the moment.

[QUOTE Beobloke]

Thusforthly, if you prefer your sounds warmer and more laid back, it's highly likley an older pair of speakers will fit the bill, whilst someone else will view them as being slow and dull
That's why I love my Spendor BC1s...

Tannoy horns are, and always were fabulous. Even a pair of 12" Dual Concentrics in a standmount sized box can sound amazing. Dull and slow they aren't!
Garrard 301/401 would give many a modern deck a run for the money, as would some of the Thorens. I was especially impressed by the TD 124, which, as HFW correctly identified, trades some of the 401's bass weight for a bit more delicacy. Not heard the 160, but reports are good.

I had a Rogers Cadet for a while. It struggled with my 83db Rogers Studio 3's, but still sounded good, clean, quick and detailed. Many of the old Radfords, Leaks etc., I've heard have either been in naff/inappropriate systems, or apeared to need servicing, but I'm sure they deserve their reputations when well fettled and well matched.

I've also had a leak Troughline Tuner in my system for a while. It's difficultto describe this tuner as is is so different to any modern s/s jobbie I've ever heard. There's no sense of artifice at all. It just sounds 'right'. I must get one.

Mull

1. My 1981 vintage Rogers LS3/5as sounded better than a pair of small, much more modern B&Ws (number forgotten, but Kevlar cones and rear-ported).

I can second this as I for a while used modern day B&W's in my 'home cinema' system, now replaced with my 1978 vintage LS3/5a's. OK, with the inflated prices LS3/5a's fetch these days one can find new speakers that are better for the money. But there are probably many old unsung heroes out there that one can pick up for next to nothing that are REALLY good.

a JBL Paragon speaker system

I SOO want a pair of these!!! Remember, in the 1960's Frank Sinatra had three (3) pair of these.

My general view is this: Good, 'proper' HiFi has improved through the years, but not that much. The stuff ordinary people use (typically midi systems) has gone considerably worse.

JohanR

RJohan said:
My general view is this: Good, 'proper' HiFi has improved through the years
I disagree when it comes to speaker systems. Modern narrow-baffle WAF "hifi" speakers are CRAP (IMHO blah blah).
I could not, ever, go back to the unwholesome mediocracy.

I'd agree that 'WAF' factor (or is it 'HAF' factor and the blokes wont admit it?) seems to deny us a bass driver any larger than 6.5 inches (isn't that a mid range driver?).

I think that modern materials used to create the best we know how to produces something that is pretty cutting edge. JBL K2 series for example, Westfield monitors etc.

One day I will build my own speakers and have a lot of fun doing it. Until then, working and living with a piece of modern history doesn't seem like a bad way to pass the evening.

Having equipment from people such as HJ Leak, Quad, Altec Lansing really does make you feel like you're part of musical history.

The article below remains an absolute favourite of mine, and I've posted links a few times.

Learn how 'Howard Hughes' of 'The Aviator' fame spent his last few years shaking hotel floors with vintage Mac equipment and Altec Valencia's.

http://www.bugsweeps.com/info/howard_hughes.html

If it was good enough for a billionnaire....

joel said:
I disagree when it comes to speaker systems. Modern narrow-baffle WAF "hifi" speakers are CRAP (IMHO blah blah).

Damned right that man.

-- Ian

My old QUAD FM1 tuner sounds a lot better than any modern synthesized tuner I have compared it with. On other other hand I was very unimpressed with an old SME3009 S2 arm compared to a modern RB250.

There is good and bad kit from all eras. I think cost (when new) is a pretty good indicator, especially with old kit where it tends to translate into mechanical and electrical build quality very directly.

I totally agree with you here. And Naim DBL's proves my point as well as yours, wide baffle, modern design. IMO of course.

And when it comes to WAF, wide baffle, shallow depth, up against the wall design's surely must be the best?

JohanR

RJohan said:
And Naim DBL's proves my point as well as yours, wide baffle, modern design. IMO of course.
What they prove, IMO, is that wide baffle etc are clearly not the only factors required to make a good speaker.

kasperhauser said:
Which one?

Starting with the hard questions eh? :) It's not easy at 1:30 am.. drowning in Merlot!

It wasn't the earliest, rounded, very 50's looking jobby.

It was the square edged 60's/early 70's thing. Troughline II... or maybe a III..? .. if they did one.... I really can't remember.
I do recall that it had a stereo decoder literaly hanging off the back, on a sort of umbilical. The guy who loaned it to me had had some contact with Tim De Paravicini, who'd apparently realigned it. It sounded wonderful.

Mull

advertisement

Back