advertisement

Who buys CDs anymore?

I pick them up on Ebay and Amazon at nice prices
Although currently listening to Bent on YouTube via Pi and TAD DAC

I still buy CDs but not before trying. I've bought quite a few based on discovering an artist on Pandora. Classical has to be on CD because streaming sound quality doesn't cut it for massed strings IMO. This is a great site for classical in the US (not sure if shipping to the UK would be worthwhile): www.arkivmusic.com. I probably listen to 80% CD, 15% streaming (mostly Pandora, which I pay for) and 5% LP (too much faff and I've recorded most of my LPs to CD).

I have no personal opinion on streaming ,have about a thousand CD's. even more LP's and a high..ish end system on which to play them. As some one who loves music and perhaps an audiophile I strive for a high fidelity listening experience.

Plus I enjoy reading sleeve notes.

Mostly pre-recorded 4T stereo R2R tapes for me these days. Almost always from the US although occasionally Germany.

Yeah, if that's the best or only way to get a particular piece of programme material. CF: King Crimson, ReR records and a bunch of other stuff.

I look for s/h on eBay or Amazon but if not available, I buy downloads from Presto classical. As an exception I buy new Classical CDs from places I visit overseas, then write the City and date inside as a reminder of the trip.

I bought the grand total of two CDs last year, the 50th anni of The White Album with the Esher demos and a second hand copy of something I've forgot, which came from ebay I think.

I only have enough space to own one physical media so I went with vinyl as I ripped all my CDs in about 2008 anyway. The only new music that goes onto the headless music PC are download codes from new vinyl purchases.

Still buying cds new and used. Charity shops are a great source, I've bought around a dozen recently for something like £3. I have to thank all the people who are turning to spotify etc.

Bob F

I'm still buying lots new and secondhand at least a couple a week. I continued to buy new vinyl years ago when no one much wanted it but now I'm finding the price of it now means I get more music for my money with cd. I've been using Spotify on my phone to test out new stuff that I've read about and if I like it I will purchase the cd but that's as far as I've ventured with downloading. Part of the problem is I'm not very computer savvy and things seem unnecessarily complex when computers are involved, I know where I am with my CDX2 or LP12.

Another reason: my GF is a journalist, I am now much more conscious of the value of intellectual property, plus I believe that more money paid to artists means better music. I don't send much money to Africa, I prefer sending it to the music industry, hoping that some of the money goes into studio time and not only to the marketing department.

A laudable sentiment although I suspect would probably help more by buying a t-shirt or a convert ticket.

I would get too hung up about poor suffering artists these days. They can make recordings for about 10 bob a song these days and then stick them on Youtube. If they get a following they go on tour and make a packet.

Me. I love 'em. Although nowadays I tend to go for well-curated box-sets or CDs that are attractive physical objects in their own right.

That reminds me, I must remember to get down to Record Collector this week - 30% off all CDs.

Bugger - didn't know about the sale - will have to get over there tomorrow ......and a pint in The Broomhill Tavern

I am still buying cds.

Just added the Kate Bush remasters boxset #1

Also buy many 2ndhand.

I think I need a new cd player...

advertisement

Back