advertisement

Who buys CDs anymore?

Me. I love 'em. Although nowadays I tend to go for well-curated box-sets or CDs that are attractive physical objects in their own right.

That reminds me, I must remember to get down to Record Collector this week - 30% off all CDs.

Me. I love 'em. Although nowadays I tend to go for well-curated box-sets or CDs that are attractive physical objects in their own right.

That reminds me, I must remember to get down to Record Collector this week - 30% off all CDs.

Putting them back in their cases and returning them the 'right' place on the shelf was always too demanding for me!

Me. I love 'em.
Same here. And I still rip them all to flacs which I then convert to mp3-320, in fact I never use the flacs, they just fill the HD.

Being an old fart I still can't resolve to rip to mp3's directly (or simply download mp3's, actually.)

Another reason: my GF is a journalist, I am now much more conscious of the value of intellectual property, plus I believe that more money paid to artists means better music. I don't send much money to Africa, I prefer sending it to the music industry, hoping that some of the money goes into studio time and not only to the marketing department.

Mainly buy CD box sets of classical music these days from Amazon. With operas you often get the librettos which is very useful. I also buy some CD jazz box sets to complete my collection of known artists. I have no interest in streaming, liking the physical object.

Putting them back in their cases and returning them the 'right' place on the shelf was always too demanding for me!

I was trying to find a cd (as it wasn't on amazon music) that I wanted to listen to last Friday... took me ages to find it as I have a cd rack that contains ~1k of them.. :(

Chaps

CDs are brilliant value in todays market, the retailers can hardly give them away and for once the consumer is winning all the way.

It's going to get even better with Spotify and the likes piling on the pressure.

So lots of music for bugger all money - what's not to like. I just wish all this had happened 30 years ago.

Regards

Mick

I stream everything these days but buy the odd old cd from amazon, just to keep my collection in tact.

Not at the moment. In fact I own none. I am waiting for them to become cool, expensive and collectable. They don't sound as good when you can get them for 1p plus p&p. They currently clash with my hipster lifestyle.

I’m buying more CDs than anything else at present - stockpiling any collectable early pressings I see plus buying a lot of major label classical shovel-ware box-sets etc. It is a golden age that reminds me exactly of what I did with vinyl when all the flavour-of-the-month types were dumping their record collections for CD. Given how unpredictable streaming services are when it comes to mastering quality my bet is there will always be a collector market for the best CDs.

Received three CDs as Xmas presents, and along with those I got for 2018 birthday presents, they may have been the only ones to come my way all year. It seems these days if I don't get them as presents, there's hardly any being bought.

I get the benefit of first listen to the sampler CDs on Uncut, Mojo, Prog, and various other magazines that friends subscribe to, and there's perhaps a couple of tracks every few months that grab me.

With home recording of archive BBC sessions and concerts from 6music, along with classicals from Radio 3, I find that I need very little in the way of new releases to fill the day.

Bought a three cd comp in Tesco’s the other day for six quid. I bought a cd transport recently too :)

I still buy them, sheerly because I cant always afford vinyl, and that I can rip them to FLAC rather than have to suffer the poor bitrate downloads from Amazon and Apple.
But in reality, if I could download everything in FLAC/WAV or at least 320kbps, I wouldn't buy them, they are merely an spacial inconvenience, when vinyl is a romantic inconvenience.

I don't like Spotify as its merely throwaway music and thats not right.

advertisement

Back