advertisement

White speaker recommendations

raysablade

pfm Member
No matter how hard I have tried over the years my wood finish speakers have succumbed to depressing marks and scratches. It upsets me to an unreasonable level and with a pension lump sum burning a hole in my pocket it is not an experience I want to repeat.

I know I could buy tatty secondhand stuff to avoid the pain but I like pristine things and for once I can afford it. Up to a maximum of £2500;)

I've long had a rule that every other part of the system has to be a shade of; red, white or black and have a achieved that with everything bar the speakers. I don't have a big white component so am wondering if anyone can recommend some white speakers that would work well with Sugden and Quad amplification?
Stand mount or compact floor standers. The listening room is smallish 16' x 14' with a 9' ceiling.

I'd prefer a tough white finish that completely eschews wood and wood effects. A nice part of being retired will be the ability to visit dealers all over the country for a listen and a look. I'm in no rush to buy.

Spendor D1 - in gloss white (nearly impenetrable:)), worth auditioning in a smaller room. The small ProAcs in white would have more the wood type finish but should sound good in your setup as well?

ATC SCM19 & SCM40

ATC_SCM19A_1920_01.jpg

SCM40-Front-All-Colors-1920.jpg

There's the SCM19 bookshelf in white too.

I had not realised that the SMC 19 was available in white. It is in budget but the 85db sensitivity is a worry, I will put it on the list.

Some in budget Neat Ekstras are available locally, they tick a lot of boxes.
Get the active versions & sell your amps. I would urge you to have a listen to the powered version; makes a huge difference.

Can't you buy the speakers that sound best and paint or wrap them?

I know people used to take speakers to car sprayshops for proper masking and painting.

Can't you buy the speakers that sound best and paint or wrap them?

I know people used to take speakers to car sprayshops for proper masking and painting.

That is worth thinking about. It might, bring some more exotic second hand stuff into play. I guess the only concern is that the new finish might be as delicate as wood veneer.

Ideally I'd like something significantly more resilient than what I have now

That is worth thinking about. It might, bring some more exotic second hand stuff into play. I guess the only concern is that the new finish might be as delicate as wood veneer.

A lot of the ready made finishes are a bit fragile, best bet is probably Hammerite if they do the colour you want.

I've found it better than exterior Permoglaze.

I have these & think they are brilliant, a very compact floor standing speaker from Sonus Faber called weirdly Toy Towers. There is actually a pair in the classifieds at a bargain price, every visitor to my house is very impressed when they hear them, as am I.
Vb7MlHK.jpg

They use vinyl wrap on cars so I would expect it to be quite durable.

Sticky-back plastic.

I am going to try that on a pmc centre av speaker as the wood that it is is too light, so I want it black. It sits below the TV screen so I don’t want to see it ideally. Or I might paint it.

I have these & think they are brilliant, a very compact floor standing speaker from Sonus Faber called weirdly Toy Towers. There is actually a pair in the classifieds at a bargain price, every visitor to my house is very impressed when they hear them, as am I.
Vb7MlHK.jpg

Bingo!

I have i feeling that I had a vague recollection of these at the back of my mind when I started describing what I want.

I'd assumed that the Italians would make the kind of thing I was looking for.

advertisement

Back