advertisement

Whisky

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend just completed a week in his camper there and enthused about the 12yo but Ledaig not to his taste - I know him to be a sherried/Speyside man. I recall that my discriminatory tasting was better done at home rather than when wrapped up in the pleasure of a distillery visit so I’m trying to get a handle on whether the Mull offerings are interesting enough to try or just OK but niche, therefore expensive.
I’ll probably just buy some but do enjoy the dialectic on this thread - the least shouty and most informative on PFM for me.

The only Mull one I have is the Ledaig Rioja finish which is quite unusual and I'm still not convinced about. I might give it another try this evening.

Got my Port Charlotte this morning.
While checking summat else on my credit card account I saw Amazon had charged me for one of the orders they’d cancelled under their T&Cs so I contacted the cheeky buggers. They confirmed they’d already refunded but it wasn’t showing yet so I did the ‘completely affronted’ thing and got a £5 credit - I might be getting my Uigeadail before Xmas.

For anyone wanting to compare the Octomores, perhaps a visit to the Ballygrant inn in Islay, in between Caol Ila & Bunnahabhain might be worth a go. Apparently they have 900 whiskies, including festival releases and the Octomore range. Definitely a bucket list trip! They do accommodation also, so no need to worry about driving!

image.jpg

I have both of the Ledaig core, the 12 & the rioja. Both good, and easily worth the price of admission. Overall I actually prefer the rioja finish. It's a bit different, and I could see why some might not like it, but it seems to hit the spot for me.

Just had a message to say my SMWS order is arriving this evening and looking forward to trying that later. As is usual with the SMWS bottlings it's got a pretty silly name "Sweet, Smoked Salmon Jerky" but it looked interesting as it's a cask strength (60.3%), small batch 7-year old from Bunnahabhain - heavily peated and using a mix of Oloroso, Pedro Ximenez and re-charred casks.

Sounds good Steve. Definitely looking to try higher abv offerings from Bunnahabhain in the future. I've got one of this year's Feis Ile release bottles, which I am storing away for a special occasion.

Bunna-Feis-Ile-2021-Moine-Bordeaux-2013-Render-557x640-240x276.png

Nice.

So far I've got a couple of bottles of the Stiureadair (which when discounted to under £30 has to be one of the best whisky bargains) and one of the 12-year old ones although I've not tried the latter yet. The one arriving today will be the first peaty one of theirs I've tried, so looking forward to that.

The 12 is really good. Far richer than the Stiureadair, which is itself a bargain when it comes down close to 25, and another which will always be in the cabinet. The Moine ( the cheaper one at mid 30s ) is definitely one to get hold of, lightly peated, cracking stuff.

The Bunna 12 is the whisky that really got me going...don't have any of their other bottlings apart from the Wemyss Untold Riches which I may become too scared to open.

Bunnahabhain 12yo - Christmas Cake in a glass (in a good way).

I have ‘stew-rah-der’, ‘tock-ack-a-gar’ and ‘moynier’ lined up for a three-way tasting with a whisky pal. We feel 12yo would be swamped in that company so will save for another occasion.

The Bunna 12 is the whisky that really got me going...don't have any of their other bottlings apart from the Wemyss Untold Riches which I may become too scared to open.

I recently watched Ralfy's latest review of the Bunna 12 and he speaks about it also being the one that first got him into malt whiskies.

The 12 is really good. Far richer than the Stiureadair, which is itself a bargain when it comes down close to 25, and another which will always be in the cabinet. The Moine ( the cheaper one at mid 30s ) is definitely one to get hold of, lightly peated, cracking stuff.

What I might do tonight is open the 12 as well, and have a dram each of the Stiureadair, the 12 and that SMWS one for comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back