advertisement

Whisky recommendation, GBP40 budget

Howdy

pfm Member
We just ran out of Laphroaig and are deciding on our next bottle.
We are considering buying Balvenie DoubleWood again or to try something new. We believe it's pretty safe to buy whisky based on the design, and are considering Glenlivet or Balvenie.
Are budget offerings from Highland Park any good?

What would fish recommend?

Laphroaig is a pretty unique taste, there is not much out there that is like it (Glenlivet for example, is pretty much the other end of the scale). What other whiskies do you like?

My recommendation would be a Lagavulin 16. Not cheap, but one of the best Islay malts around.

Not looking for something similar to Laphroaig this time. We liked Balvenie DoubleWood, but would be happy to explore other tastes. Think of this as an educational project.

Sounds like you don't/haven't tried many different brews. You cite Glenlivet, Balvenie Highland Park and mention design (what is that). Of your trio Balvenie is the only one that isn't a blend if I recall, I used to drink it every day, the other two I avoid unless you like affordable safe tastes.

Currently I enjoy Jura Original (available at Sainsbury) there is also a smokey version if that turns you on but the original has a pleasant sweet/honey taste.

All your trio are well under £40

Its whisky not an educational exercise.

Enjoy whatever you get

Give Scapa a go.

If you like what Laphroaig does, you could also try Ardbeg, Lagavulin or Caol Ila.

Some music while you browse this discussion / Whisky websites.

Terrific song this. Kind of naff backing yet seems to work, with the tempo being right for the song IMO and a nice voice.

Hope you get a good Whisky.

*** Buy Whisky ! - Its good for you ! ***

Last edited by a moderator:
Ardbeg is worth a try if you like laphroaig. £37 at Waitrose.
Not as peaty but very nice!

Not looking for something similar to Laphroaig this time. We liked Balvenie DoubleWood, but would be happy to explore other tastes. Think of this as an educational project.

A couple of posters seem to have missed this by the OP

Best of luck Howdy

Anything from Springbank will not disappoint, however my favourite drinking whisky (of the 20-odd choices in the cupboard) is aberlour 12 year old

Of your trio Balvenie is the only one that isn't a blend if I recall, I used to drink it every day, the other two I avoid unless you like affordable safe tastes.

Glenlivet is a single malt, not a blend (unless you mean by blend that it can be mixed from different batches).

Howdy: if you like Laphroaig but want something a little different, how about Tallisker?

Glenlivet is a single malt, not a blend (unless you mean by blend that it can be mixed from different batches).

Howdy: if you like Laphroaig but want something a little different, how about Tallisker?

Sorry perhaps I should said bland. See you missed my repeat of the OPs second post Not looking for something similar to Laphroaig

Thanks for recommendations, I will print out the mentioned flavour map and visit a local pub. I hope we will be able to try at least some of them. Less smoky and rich is the order of the day, but who knows..

Sorry perhaps I should said bland. See you missed my repeat of the OPs second post Not looking for something similar to Laphroaig

No, I didn't miss your valuable paraphrase of the OP's second post. But if you would like to repeat again in a slightly larger font, please go ahead.

I would recommend the Jura Diurachs Own. Really nice 16yo.

If there is a whisky / spirits shop in your vicinity, perhaps the staff will give you some good recommendations and perhaps a few samples.

No, I didn't miss your valuable paraphrase of the OP's second post. But if you would like to repeat again in a slightly larger font, please go ahead.

It is a quote - a paraphrase is when you rewrite the persons thoughs according to what you think they might have meant.

So you didn't want to respect the OPs preference then?

advertisement

Back