advertisement

Whisky II

^Not sure what people expect from a mass-volume young whiskey bottled at 40%. The RRP is taking the p1ss too. I've just bought a Foursquare private cask selection from the whiskyexhange (it's essentially the ECS). £87 for a 12 yo rum bottled at 60% from one of the world's best distilleries. Seems expensive until you realise what you're paying for Scotch these days.

Agree...I thought the offer price was good enough for a posting but it is def. a bit thin and one-dimensional...one to kick the session off with, or for cocktails as you say.
My view of Yellow & Green Spot is that they lack "character" so yes, one-dimensional. Of this sort of single pot style whiskey, all from the Midleton Distillery, the one I like the best is Powers John's Lane, I find this has the character the Spots lack. Redbreast 12 is good too (2nd to Powers) and Redbreast 21 is sensational but so is its price... Powers John's Lane at about 50 quid is one I like to have in stock.
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiski...release-12-year-old-single-pot-still-whiskey/

Any recommendations for Whisky cocktails, please. Nothing complicated, I'm a newcomer. I have a shaker, but sugar syrup and egg whites are probably a bit beyond me at the moment. I like a Manhattan, but that's using US Whiskey; I also like things like a Negroni or a dry gin Martini. I have a bottle of Glenlivet Founders Reserve, bought as a gift, which I won't be drinking while there's Bunna, Ardbeg or Arran in the house so as I've opened it, I'd be inclined to use it in cocktails.

My view of Yellow & Green Spot is that they lack "character" so yes, one-dimensional. Of this sort of single pot style whiskey, all from the Midleton Distillery, the one I like the best is Powers John's Lane, I find this has the character the Spots lack. Redbreast 12 is good too (2nd to Powers)
Not an area I have any experience in but I have a couple of bottles on the "To Do" list:
I have an unopened bottle of the PJL 12 bought on Roy Duff's recommendation (on offer from Amazon iirc)...when cracking my first Irish I thought I'd dip my toe in with the Green Spot first. Agree the Spot (and tbh a lot of Irish) prices are way too high generally. Will be good when the new distilleries come of age and challenge the Midleton stranglehold.
Also have a Redbreast 12 cask strength (also bought on offer!) which I need to get round too.
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/63473/redbreast-12-year-old-cask-strength-batch-b1-21
Side note - had first couple of small drams in months on Fri and they don't mix well with the blood thinners I'm on (Apixaban)...felt a bit weird; slightly nauseous which is a known side effect. So back on the wagon. On them until Dec at least.:oops:...didn't stop my resolve weakening on that Aberlour. :rolleyes:

Any recommendations for Whisky cocktails, please. Nothing complicated, I'm a newcomer. I have a shaker, but sugar syrup and egg whites are probably a bit beyond me at the moment. I like a Manhattan, but that's using US Whiskey; I also like things like a Negroni or a dry gin Martini. I have a bottle of Glenlivet Founders Reserve, bought as a gift, which I won't be drinking while there's Bunna, Ardbeg or Arran in the house so as I've opened it, I'd be inclined to use it in cocktails.
Old Fashioned. Classic and simple. Rye or bourbon I know, but you could try it with the Glenlivet - I'm not long back from Lisbon and they're keen on using Jameson for some reason. Similar light profile (although it needs a 'kick' imo)

Just posting this as it popped up on my Subcribers list and he made me burst out laughing; and not for the first time...he's not just for laughs though it's an excellent channel.

Thanks, nearly tried one of those on Sunday but have no soda. Not sure fizzy spring water counts, does it?
I wouldn't fancy fizzy water, but a few dashes of plain water for muddling will be fine. Being very occasionally lazy and impatient, I am happy to use sugar syrup though. I like it strong so don't tend to top up with soda at home, just one large block of ice (plus bitters of course).

Old Fashioned. Classic and simple. Rye or bourbon I know, but you could try it with the Glenlivet - I'm not long back from Lisbon and they're keen on using Jameson for some reason. Similar light profile (although it needs a 'kick' imo)

I have a nice Maple Old Fashioned from a restaurant called the Giggling Squid recently and had a go at making it at home. Quite sweet (obvs) but lovely.

Splendid! A trove of comedy gold there. Isn't it a shame that "The Aodh is too precious to be entered into tasting awards". They're too modest, surely...

boulvardier - exactly the same as Negroni, but swap the gin for bourbon.

sweet manhatten; 50 ml bourbon, 25ml of red vermouth, 2 dashes angostura and a cherry. Swap the bourbon for whisky and you have a Rob Roy

whisky mac - whisky and green ginger wine

rusty nail - whisky and drambuie

mint julep - usually made with bourbon but can sub whisky

boulvardier - exactly the same as Negroni, but swap the gin for bourbon.

sweet manhatten; 50 ml bourbon, 25ml of red vermouth, 2 dashes angostura and a cherry
Thing is GT, I don't drink bourbon and am unlikely to buy any more just to make a cocktail. I had a very small bottle of Jim Beam, bought for something else and which I've now used up. I'd like to use scotch in a cocktail but not coming up with much. I presume replacing the bourbon with the scotch would result in something rather different and I'd be happy to try it, but if it's going to be pants I'd rather not waste anything.

Thing is GT, I don't drink bourbon and am unlikely to buy any more just to make a cocktail. I had a very small bottle of Jim Beam, bought for something else and which I've now used up. I'd like to use scotch in a cocktail but not coming up with much. I presume replacing the bourbon with the scotch would result in something rather different and I'd be happy to try it, but if it's going to be pants I'd rather not waste anything.

just sub the bourbon with whisky and see where it takes you. Boulvardier is good with a peaty whisky.

I used to be a bourbon denier but love it now. Suggest trying a better one or at least different to Jim Beam. My cheap goto is Woodford Reserve. It is great on its own but makes really good cocktails.

advertisement

Back