advertisement

Whisky II

Been slightly jaded with Scotch recently. Probably the weather. Decent sipping rum on the rocks is current drink of choice. Plus lots of port in Lisbon. When I can muster the enthusiasm I think it’ll be Indy cask strength from now on. Sod the online ballots. Sadly, a regular visit to a decent shop like Cadenhead’s isn’t feasible, but as Gloria said, I will survive!

Managed a visit to a whisky shop in St Andrew’s last week and got a nice Caol Ila 18 and a Glenfarclas 15 that came with two miniatures of the 25 and a 105 cask strength. Had the 25 first shame the bottle is in the 200’s now

The Caol Ila 18 is stunning, highly recommended only ever tried the std 12 previously.

Was it Luvians by chance? - As a relative whisky novice I shopped there earlier this year and found them very helpful and their recommendations excellent. Only wish I wasn't 5000 miles away most of the time!

Was it Luvians by chance? - As a relative whisky novice I shopped there earlier this year and found them very helpful and their recommendations excellent. Only wish I wasn't 5000 miles away most of the time!

No it was called Taste of Scotland, still on Market street just a bit further up. Great advice as well and a huge range. Must look up Luvians next time I am there.

A few recent additions here. Picked up the Springbank 10 from Cambridge Wine Merchants. Got lucky, was just sitting by itself on a shelf...

The Caol Ila is a favourite, and was surprised to see Tesco stocking it now.

The Glen Scotia Campbeltown malts festival 2022 I bought in York's The Whisky Shop ( bit surprised to see it still in the shops, but it was the last bottle they had), along with a Kilchoman Sanaig.

They are remaining closed until I get my sense of smell back, which has gone MIA as I have covid at the moment!

1660817228950-jpeg.85209

MoM just dropped.
KK16 and Sp10 still there atm
Was after Sp18 or Longrow 18. Failed.
Going for a long walk...look out local cats

Last edited:
I see the Springbank 10 price seems to be up nearly 20% online - guess that's the new rrp? Time to move on for me.
Yeah £53 for a 10yo is looking poor value to me.
Whisky Exchange put it on at £48 and included it in the buy 2 save £7 and then put the price up by £2 after a couple of hours. Still sold out.
Expect the 15 to get bumped next.
Think I'm done with Springbank.

I think I paid 55 for it at Cambridge Wine Merchants. So it has definitely gone up by about 10 quid since my first bottle a year ago.

I opened the Lochlea ‘Our Barley’ bottling last week. I actually prefer it to the inaugural bottling.

Yeah £53 for a 10yo is looking poor value to me.
Whisky Exchange put it on at £48 and included it in the buy 2 save £7 and then put the price up by £2 after a couple of hours. Still sold out.
Expect the 15 to get bumped next.
Think I'm done with Springbank.

If their prices keep going like that; you won't be the only one. Prices are starting to become a piss-take now!

Back in Cambridge wine merchants today. They had a few SP10, Kilkerran 12 and 16, plus Longrow available. I went for the KK 16, as I have had a 12 previously, and wanted to see the difference. Also picked up a Laphroaig 10 C/S.

advertisement

Back