advertisement

Whisky II

Well bought the Smokehead and the Coal Ila already and just working my way through them . Laphroig Ten is just too over blown for me the Select is not too bad but the Small Cask they used to do was much better .

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Well whatever it is, it’s bloody annoying.
It is. If you're not tech savvy you're knackered.
If you don't have your own Bot you're playing whack-a-mole with over 500 people for what, bottle numbers in the low twenties or less.

Example - 5 Users successful with the Hazelburn 15 and 25 known fails (most people don't register the fail) using the Master of Malt Slack alerts today.

Staying 4 nights there next week, I hope so
Stayed one night there last Sept. Welcoming staff, good food and drink (well, yes), great location and nice room. Good value too from memory. Happily stay again and spend longer next time (and tick off the remaining distilleries).
Oh, the Springbank 10 (and Seaweed, and rum) went through ok...sometimes the whisky gods are smiling I guess

It is. If you're not tech savvy you're knackered.
If you don't have your own Bot you're playing whack-a-mole with over 500 people for what, bottle numbers in the low twenties or less.

Example - 5 Users successful with the Hazelburn 15 and 25 known fails (most people don't register the fail) using the Master of Malt Slack alerts today.
What is a slack alert?

What is a slack alert?
Slack is the software - think group emails /WhatsApp.
An alert is a notification of (usually) a new release.
An alert can be generated in two ways:
1. Via the automated group Bot developed by the Admin and free to Members. These seem to have become less useful recently. They do not work on some sites like RMW and are too slow to be useful on others like House of Malt. Master of Malt instructed the Admin to shut down the MoM Bot last week.

2. Via manual alerts from other Members. These can be through chance finds or more usually an individual's own Bot. The Bot user will use the Bot to make their own purchases and then post the link so that other Members can try to purchase. That is how the MoM Springbanks came through today. Unfortunately there are now hundreds of Slack Members plus who knows else chasing the same bottles. This also explains why I used to do better with F5 as the Slack group has grown from 300 to 1,800 members in the past 18 months.

If you read the comments section of the Malt article there is a reply from the "Bot Controller" of the Slack group:
"Thanks for putting together such a well researched article, it made for a really interesting read. A shame you didn’t reach out to me for comment but no bother. I’m still happy to have been brought into the discussion.

I see you also note the gripe of poorly coded bots causing websites to crash owing to excessive refresh rates. I’m happy to be able to say with absolute certainty that our bot is well coded and is strictly limited to a nominal refresh speed, less than the average web user at the time of new releases appearing.

As to why I made the bot? I knew we were not alone and that there were already a multitude of whisky bots out there, some of which charging an extortionate amount of access. I made the bot as a kind of service to our malt-minded members having seen many express their frustration at constantly missing out on new releases. My hope was by levelling the playing field, I could help out members stand to have a fairer chance and I’m happy to say it has so far been rather successful, without the need for anyone to be fork out any significant sums for a subscription.

If I had my way, we would all go back to 10 years ago, where you had a good few days to hunt down anything of relative interest with ease. I really do miss how enjoyable and less stressful that time was. But sadly, those days have long past and we must adapt the best we can."

Last edited:
I landed a springer 15 from a local shop where I have gained some good favour, I suppose it has helped to bring them a few samples to help with the 'bribe' them. This has been my only take from the recent Campbeltown offerings. I opened a Glen Elgin 16 yo from Thompson Bros as well last night, I think it might need a bit of time to open up more, it had a bit of bitter edge but have been getting this from a few drams recently post covid.

advertisement

Back