advertisement

Whisky II

Sorry I missed it too. At one point 611 peope were on the SP10 page.
Missed the SP15.
Missed the Hazelburn 15 again.
I now have four bottles of the Kilkerran Heavily Peated batch 6 which is the only thing I've managed to pick up from this release.
:mad:

It's a bit sad really; glad I got the bottle of SP15 when I did

TBH it's a fantastic dram, but not worth that much hassle...

Have a few "crazy" bottles which are not for drinking that I may auction to swap in...Bowmore 21 Aston Martin (won in a ballot! :D) and a SP10 Local Barley that I lucked out with...

I enjoy the SP15 but as you say there's a hassle to get it. I have 10, 12 and 15 now. I haven't opened the 10 yet. What I know though is that the 12 and 15 are quite different and given the sourcing issues, I probably prefer the 12 as a go to dram whereas the 15 is more "individual" - maybe not so much better but I can't really define better in this context. I'll open the 10 in the next week or two and enjoy forming a judgment on that.

How many minutes, or even seconds, were those bottles available on MoM?
Not many...Springbank 30 and Hazelburn 21 seconds.
Hazelburn 15 was also gone in under a minute - I know as had it in basket and got a PayPal confirmation but oos by time confirmed on the MoM website.
Even the Springbank 15 under a minute.
The 10 was two or three minutes.

I reckon it’s bots.
It's bots.
Also heard non-specifically that staff at certain retailers send SMS to individuals for back-handers.
Allegedly.
People seem to know before the links go live on the website.

Also things like Apple Pay give instant checkout. Maybe I should get an iPhone.

I've had the original (Madeira cask, I think) Penderyn and liked it. Very smooth, easy drinking, but a bit lacking in character after a dram or two (no idea what the Welsh for dram would be...). I've also had the Celt, which had a bit more going on, but it's not what you'd go for if you were as Islay fan (as I am). I imagine the peated might be similar to the Celt, but perhaps a bit more, er, peaty?

I think at the offer price it'd be great value, but I'd be rather less interested in it at full price.

My go to inexpensive malt tends to be the Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair, esp at the Amazon offer price, it's hard to go wrong if you like a slightly peaty dram.

Edit: wierdly, the link sends you to a £35 bottle, but there's an offer at £25 (which I've just bought because, well, hey, why not?). So have a hunt around on Amazon because at £25 it's a steal.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Well have given it a go and got 11.50 off my first order combined it with some Tanqueray Gin a nice bottle of Italian Red and some Sobrasada which is hopefully going to be great Andalusian rather than Ibicencan but I will take the chance also free delivery tomorrow .

As for the team I support they cost me a fortune in ticket money already paid up for next season and signed up for Cup Tickets as well if we progress like last season then as you say it will cost lots . But then again like many before me you have very little choice in the team you support if you from Liverpool only Everton and Tranmere as options . Then you get the family pressures and before you know it Reds it is . At least they give me plenty of excitement along with the regular heart attacks . I do so miss football in the close season . Good job England cricket team are playing well and offering up some excitement and drama .

Sadly I do not have the free income to afford almost any of the ones mentioned Could I ask has any one tried this as it falls in to my price band while it is on offer .

https://www.ocado.com/products/penderyn-single-malt-peated-edition-272122011
Penderyn can be a bit of an acquired taste. It’s not bad, if seldom great. I remember very early bottlings had a distinct nose of cat pee.

Usually quite young and fresh, with that estery, pear drop, green apple taste I’d associate with Bushmills 10 or Glenfiddich 12. I did buy a bottle of the peated cask after a distillery tour several years ago. IIRC the guy said they are (or were) matured (or possibly finished) in ex-Laphroaig casks.

Anyway, worth a punt at that price.

Have a few "crazy" bottles which are not for drinking that I may auction to swap in...Bowmore 21 Aston Martin (won in a ballot! :D) and a SP10 Local Barley that I lucked out with...

I was in Islay last week and saw a bottle in the Bowmore distillery. Lucky man at that price! They also had a bottle of Bowmore 1965 52 year old on display at £30000 but I’d forgotten my credit card sadly.

I'm personally not in the least interested in tasting whisky but the 3 distilleries together at Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg were awesome. I loved how they all had their names painted on big black letters on the white buildings facing the sea. It was stunning weather at the time so that helped as well.

The feis (?sp) had just finished so Laphroaig were handing out 250 ml tasters of cask strength (55% or so) whisky from the festival. Laphroaig couldn’t have been more accommodating, all the staff were super friendly and helpful and there was free whisky – what’s not to like? Lagavulin were the total opposite – miserable sods.

I was in Islay last week and saw a bottle in the Bowmore distillery. Lucky man at that price! They also had a bottle of Bowmore 1965 52 year old on display at £30000 but I’d forgotten my credit card sadly.

I'm personally not in the least interested in tasting whisky but the 3 distilleries together at Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg were awesome. I loved how they all had their names painted on big black letters on the white buildings facing the sea. It was stunning weather at the time so that helped as well.

The feis (?sp) had just finished so Laphroaig were handing out 250 ml tasters of cask strength (55% or so) whisky from the festival. Laphroaig couldn’t have been more accommodating, all the staff were super friendly and helpful and there was free whisky – what’s not to like? Lagavulin were the total opposite – miserable sods.
When I say "won in a ballot" I still had to pay RRP so not quite as lucky...though they are selling at auction above RRP.
Feis Ile is the spelling (minus the inflexions)...sounds like a great trip...never been to Islay but hoping to very soon once the Mrs joins me in retirement next year.
And the Campbeltown Festival...will be the only way I can buy the Special Releases.

Feis Ile is the spelling (minus the inflexions)...sounds like a great trip...never been to Islay but hoping to very soon once the Mrs joins me in retirement next year.
If you’re thinking of going next year I’d seriously think about booking accommodation and ferries now.

Edit- don’t think you can book ferries so far in advance, but certainly book accommodation.

We stayed at Pier House at Bruichladdich via Ai BnB.

Pier House - Houses for Rent in Bruichladdich, United Kingdom - Airbnb

And guess what - there was a distillery across the road! The non whisky drinkers were happy with that as they distill Botanicals gin there. All bases covered. I rather suspect that not just the accommodation will be the limiting factor for the festival. When we sailed from Kennacraig there were cars everywhere which, we discovered, belonged to people who couldn't get back from Islay as they'd not booked and the ferries were full. They'd all gone when we came back a week later.

If you’re thinking of going next year I’d seriously think about booking accommodation and ferries now.

Edit- don’t think you can book ferries so far in advance, but certainly book accommodation.
Cheers...we'll be in a campervan. Which we haven't bought yet.

Sadly I do not have the free income to afford almost any of the ones mentioned Could I ask has any one tried this as it falls in to my price band while it is on offer .

https://www.ocado.com/products/penderyn-single-malt-peated-edition-272122011

It's ok; a bit thin IMO and wouldn't buy it personally...

Around that money I'd prefer this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0043YHWXC/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Or this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009T3CSX6/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Or these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001GLG7C2/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KF56G4E/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

And for a bit more £££:

This wins hands down:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001HU7THE/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back