advertisement

Whisky II

Consoled with a Kilkerran Heavily Peated batch 6 which looks dark compared to earlier releases...may just be the website photo.
It is considerably darker...makes sense (longer in the cask?) given they are essentially Works in Progress. I will open sometime in 2023 at this rate.
Last night's drams:
Arran 10 - nothing too complex. Sweet and malty. Got a nice note of tangerine on the finish.
Kilkerran 16 - second dram from the bottle and it's growing on me...a little. Find myself agreeing with this: "surprisingly spirit-driven. Would expect more cask influence for a 16 yo." However, it did slip down very quickly and the texture was nice.
Cadenheads Mannochmore 13 cask strength - third dram from the bottle. Bought on basis of good review on Dramface. I'm not sure about this one either yet... though it was getting late!

Bourbon last night. Knob Creek…just too hot. Only got bitter with water. Not bonding with this. Followed by a Michter’s, better, but not much in the finish. Overpriced. Might be going off bourbon - I didn’t particularly like the last Four Roses single barrel either (batch variation to be expected). A Caol Ila 12 saved the day. Beautifully subtle and balanced, might just replace the Ardbeg 10 as my go to Islay… I imagine a non chill filtered 46% Indy could be wonderful

Bourbon last night. Knob Creek…just too hot. Only got bitter with water. Not bonding with this. Followed by a Michter’s, better, but not much in the finish. Overpriced. Might be going off bourbon - I didn’t particularly like the last Four Roses single barrel either (batch variation to be expected). A Caol Ila 12 saved the day. Beautifully subtle and balanced, might just replace the Ardbeg 10 as my go to Islay… I imagine a non chill filtered 46% Indy could be wonderful

I have been sampling my Old Bones 15 year reserve Bourbon and it is smooth as silk and stunning. Best I have had so far, takes water very well, Not sure how you might get it in the UK but well worth seeking out if you can.

I have been sampling my Old Bones 15 year reserve Bourbon and it is smooth as silk and stunning. Best I have had so far, takes water very well, Not sure how you might get it in the UK but well worth seeking out if you can.
I imagine it is! 15 yo bourbon at high proof. They do keep the best stuff for themselves. Barrel proof bourbons very hard to buy here at reasonable prices.

The smoke on this is superb

Just had 2 small sips with no water. The flavour is instant and deep, but sweet with a touch of licorice in there too...

It's hot but not stupidly. There's a light soft brown sugar taste and then the bottom of the fireplace from the night before. On the nose too

It's thick & oily but not overly. Very smooth on the mouth feel and when it goes down

The taste lingers and gets a slight hint of salty floralness. Think gorse with salt

advertisement

Back