advertisement

Whisky II

Well it's the only Glen Scotia I've tried, so I have no point of reference (although I've tried other Campbeltown malts), but it's different from everything else I've tried - closest I'd compare it to is Springbank. Complex, perhaps unsurprising considering the mix and ages of casks (bourbon, sherry, deep char, 10yo, 12yo, 16-18yo), and really needs a bit of time to open up in the glass, but lovely balance of flavours. It's one of the best whiskies I've tried, hence why I've added one to keep (and if Ralfy is correct, based on his recent review of the 12yo, future releases might not live up to it).

Quite like this guy's reviews

The most interesting one to me is the Ben Rinnes finished in a Ex Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I've got a couple of Ben Rinnes independent bottlings and both are excellent, but that sounds a bit different.

Am I the only one here that dislikes Hibiki (if I may say so)? I found it too girly - toffee, honey and more sweetness with almost nothing on the other side to balance.

You guys have wandered much further out of the mainstream than I, so perhaps you can advise me. I currently have bottles of Ardbeg Corryvrekran, Bunnhabhain Stiuireadair (both so difficult to spell!), and Talisker 10. I'd like a fourth bottle for variety and I'd love a bottle of Deanston, as it's a favourite, but I want to learn something new. I've got enough familiarity as it is. I've never tried Ledaig and I'm extra curious with the Ralfy award, but it may not give me the variety I crave. Are there any mid-price alternatives you can recommend?

You guys have wandered much further out of the mainstream than I, so perhaps you can advise me. I currently have bottles of Ardbeg Corryvrekran, Bunnhabhain Stiuireadair (both so difficult to spell!), and Talisker 10. I'd like a fourth bottle for variety and I'd love a bottle of Deanston, as it's a favourite, but I want to learn something new. I've got enough familiarity as it is. I've never tried Ledaig and I'm extra curious with the Ralfy award, but it may not give me the variety I crave. Are there any mid-price alternatives you can recommend?
Mid-price non-peat - Arran 10, Cotswolds or a blend like Spice Tree.
Peated - the Ledaig 10 will offer something different from an Islay; or a Speyside like Benromach Peat Smoke.

Peated or non peated

Sherry bomb?

Cask strength or not?

Chill filtered or not?

Etc…

And around what budget?

I'd also recommend considering the Cotswolds as it is very good.

Other ones I'd recommend trying are the Benriach 12 (a mix of sherry, bourbon and port casks so a little different), The Tomintoul 16 is a nice one and very cheap for a 16-year old, Edradour 10, Glen Scotia 15 or the Arran Amarone Cask.

Last edited:
Peated or non peated

Sherry bomb?

Cask strength or not?

Chill filtered or not?

Etc…

And around what budget?

Budget £50ish. I've got peat, intensity and complexity with the Corryvrekran, so no need for another peated just now. I've got a smooth easy drinking, slightly sherried option with the Bunn, and I've got sweet, fiery and rough with the Talisker 10. So what does that leave? Not a sherry bomb, for sure, nor an uber-peat. I fancy a bit of spice and honey, but with.... that's what I'm struggling to define; the darker undetones that will complement the spice and honey.

Just going through the above suggestions. Benriach 12 sounds great. Very tempted by that. And I've fancied the Arran 10 for a while - great bottle design and sounds good value. Also Ledaig being peated but different to an Islay - that sounds intriguing. Just reading now about the Arran Amarone - 'pears, cranberry, and honey'. That sounds amazing. I'm a pear evangelist, though I rarely eat them.

Budget £50ish. I've got peat, intensity and complexity with the Corryvrekran, so no need for another peated just now. I've got a smooth easy drinking, slightly sherried option with the Bunn, and I've got sweet, fiery and rough with the Talisker 10. So what does that leave? Not a sherry bomb, for sure, nor an uber-peat. I fancy a bit of spice and honey, but with.... that's what I'm struggling to define; the darker undetones that will complement the spice and honey.

Just going through the above suggestions. Benriach 12 sounds great. Very tempted by that. And I've fancied the Arran 10 for a while - great bottle design and sounds good value. Also Ledaig being peated but different to an Islay - that sounds intriguing. Just reading now about the Arran Amarone - 'pears, cranberry, and honey'. That sounds amazing. I'm a pear evangelist, though I rarely eat them.

Glenfarclas 15:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001GLPJPI/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Balvenie Doublewood:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015KXE3UO/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Arran quarter cask:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DLGL7B7/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Aberfeldy 16:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/slredir...3324432&id=6781215234178811&widgetName=sp_atf

North Star blended malt:

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiski.../supersonic-mach-2-north-star-spirits-whisky/

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RQ8TP9Q/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

These would be my choices… Some just over £50 but worth it IMO

Hope this helps

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Aberfeldy 16:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=pa_sp_atf_grocery_sr_pg1_1?ie=UTF8&adId=A0654310H7NXYN1X6OQ0&url=/Aberfeldy-Year-Single-Scotch-Whisky/dp/B01557TFGW/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=1XL8IDGO78QST&keywords=aberfeldy+whisky&qid=1643324432&s=grocery&sprefix=Aberfe%2Cgrocery%2C70&sr=1-3-spons&psc=1&qualifier=1643324432&id=6781215234178811&widgetName=sp_atf

Hope this helps[/QUOTE]

Interesting - thanks very much for the suggestions. From a quick scan, the Aberfeldy sounds just my cup of tea. Also good to have another recommendation for the Arran quarter cask. The tasting notes for that sound tantalising, all except for coconut. I must admit I can't imagine that in a whisky, but happy to be educated.

I've had so many good suggestions and I want them all!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Aberfeldy 16:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=pa_sp_atf_grocery_sr_pg1_1?ie=UTF8&adId=A0654310H7NXYN1X6OQ0&url=/Aberfeldy-Year-Single-Scotch-Whisky/dp/B01557TFGW/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=1XL8IDGO78QST&keywords=aberfeldy+whisky&qid=1643324432&s=grocery&sprefix=Aberfe%2Cgrocery%2C70&sr=1-3-spons&psc=1&qualifier=1643324432&id=6781215234178811&widgetName=sp_atf

Hope this helps…

Interesting - thanks very much for the suggestions. From a quick scan, the Aberfeldy sounds just my cup of tea. Also good to have another recommendation for the Arran quarter cask. The tasting notes for that sound tantalising, all except for coconut. I must admit I can't imagine that in a whisky, but happy to be educated.

I've had so many good suggestions and I want them all!

Buy em all, you’re only here once :D

The Aberfeldy 16 is lovely, it’s a great dram with a lingering aftertaste. I’d have it over the Arran personally…

I’ll be popping into the Aberfeldy distillery sometime week after next, want a bottle of the Dewars 18 blended & will pop into get it after I’ve been to Castle Menzies to lift the Menzies stone.

The North Star blended malt is superb though & I’d recommend it for something completely different

advertisement

Back