advertisement

Whisky II

I've not really delved into Irish whisky yet but that Green Spot Single Pot one mentioned above is one that seems to come up a lot in recommendations.

I think I preferred Redbreast to Greenspot and at a budget price the Writers Tears at £28 in M&S

A bottle of Daftmill 2010 just landed - I was in the right place, right time.
Don’t know how much you parted with for it but I’d be interested to hear what you make of it. I blagged one at auction last year for £130. I won’t be in any hurry to get my hands on another.

Don’t know how much you parted with for it but I’d be interested to hear what you make of it. I blagged one at auction last year for £130. I won’t be in any hurry to get my hands on another.
I landed one too as well as the BBR sample which I tried last night. Interesting nose that starts off quite bready/yeasty in a good way then plenty of fruit. I liked the 2009 one a bit better though. I like the concept of an all in one distillery and £130 on the secondary market is very good imho.

Paid RRP.
Not many 10yos can justify £100 and other reviews seem to match your experience.
I'm afraid I may go with the devil on my shoulder with this one and hold it with a view to eventually selling it on. Naughty step.

Paid RRP.
Not many 10yos can justify £100 and other reviews seem to match your experience.
I'm afraid I may go with the devil on my shoulder with this one and hold it with a view to eventually selling it on. Naughty step.
It’s a perfectly decent whisky, just significantly overpriced. From what I can gather the Cuthbert brothers do a bit of distilling on the side during downtime in the farming year. The very limited output such a small scale operation produces ensures demand massively exceeds supply. I would be perfectly happy to pay around £40 but that ain’t gonna happen. Still, I’ve scratched that itch now.

That’ll do in lieu of a visitor centre. 15-18000L per year? No wonder it’s so difficult to get hold of. I’ve no idea how they financed their start up costs but I’d imagine on that scale it’s more of an expensive hobby than a profitable industry.

I’ve no idea how they financed their start up costs but I’d imagine on that scale it’s more of an expensive hobby than a profitable industry.
They're not short of a few bob:
https://www.daftmill.com/history/
"Our family bought Pitlair Estate including Daftmill in 1984 from Sir William Walker."
"Francis has grown and supplied award-winning distilling barley on the farm for many years"
"At present Francis distils throughout the year on a periodic basis depending on circumstances. With 1,000 acres to tend..."
https://whiskymag.com/story/not-as-daft-as-it-seems-daftmill

ALERT! Lagavulin 16 is available to order from Waitrose for delivery at £49 - the proper price at last!

That scuppers my intention to buy Arran, Ledaig, or one of the other excellent suggestions I got here, since I just had to buy two bottles of Lagavulin whilst they were available.

ALERT! Lagavulin 16 is available to order from Waitrose for delivery at £49 - the proper price at last!

That scuppers my intention to buy Arran, Ledaig, or one of the other excellent suggestions I got here, since I just had to buy two bottles of Lagavulin whilst they were available.

Thanks for that, I even had a £10 off voucher for some reason at checkout so even with delivery charge of £3, two bottles for £91, happy days.

Waitrose are actually delivering a bottle of lagavulin 16 today, but they’ve put the price up to £70 overnight and have charged me that!

There is no way, only my opinion of course, that Laga16 is worth 70 quid. I really like it, but it's 50 pounds worth, no more.

Christ, this is outrageous of Watrose. I can't see how it's legal to change the price after the order! No doubt the same will happen to me before my delivery tomorrow. I'll email a complaint. Sorry for the confusion caused by what turned out to be a false bargain alert.

advertisement

Back