advertisement

Whisky II

I’m not a fan of port finishes in general, far too strong and completely overpowers the whisky.
Perhaps done unsympathetically (?), but I've been a big fan of those few I've tried. I also enjoy port-matured rums and bourbon. And, erm, port.
I'll send you a wee sample of Tomatin 14 Port Cask if you're feeling brave.

Perhaps done unsympathetically (?), but I've been a big fan of those few I've tried. I also enjoy port-matured rums and bourbon. And, erm, port.
Well, recent experiences were a Dalmunach and the RMW exclusive Lochlea. Interesting to try, but one or two glasses was enough in each case. That said, I’ve heard good things about the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban.

I think the Tomatin 14 is the best in the range, I prefer it to the 18. Although I've only got the 18 at the moment.

Is this Tamnavulin in white wine casks any good? on offer £24 to March 25

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/310167547.

What about Black Bottle - what's it like taste wise? It's £19

I think the Tamnavulin would be too sweet for you from what you've said about your tastes.
The BB definitely worth a punt at that price.
Note if you can stretch to it the Laphroaig 10 is £31 at Sainsbury's and a jump from the Select imo.

The first Port Charlotte 18!
It's £175. :confused:

The interesting thing about pricing what is still commodity grade stuff at these levels, is that I find it quite hard to drink. Not because its isn't lovely. I'm sure it is, but 4 times better than the standard stuff? You know you've been mugged and that sour taste outlives any finish ;).

Ive tried the glendronach port finish in a pub not that long ago, I thought it was decent but I don’t know how much a bottle is these days.

Master of Malt now have the Seaweed & Aeons & Digging & Fire 10 at £28.36. A very decent smoky dram at that price
Must've sold out the Flash Sale allocation as it's back to full price.
The cask strength sherry is on offer though:
Some other offers too:

What do you guys think of these Waitrose offers?

Deanston gets some good reviews and this scored 82% on Whiskybase. It's also 46.3. But is it too sweet?

Old Pultenay scored 80%. I don't know what they mean by "maritime" - is this reflected in the taste?

Deanston gets some good reviews and this scored 82% on Whiskybase. It's also 46.3. But is it too sweet?

Old Pultenay scored 80%. I don't know what they mean by "maritime" - is this reflected in the taste?
Deanston’s ok, but unlikely to get your pulse racing (although I did have a rather nice indie bottling a few years back).

Old Pulteney 12 is a very decent, solid whisky, but I’ve regularly seen it cheaper than £28. It’s said to have a ‘salty’ character, but I’ve never picked this up.

I've never been sure what maritime means a hint of salt maybe? It seems that every distillery within a hundred yards of the sea adds it to their blurb. I certainly wouldn't reject or accept anything on the basis of a maritime classification.

Of those 2 the Deaston is likely to be more interesting. The Deanstons I've had in the past have not left a memory of heavy hitting but have left a note to "buy again" at a decent price. First fill Bourbon barrels impart sweetness but that is not necessarily bad thing for young whisky. Arguably better than smothering it in sherry. In contrast I've no recollection at all of more than one bottle of Old Pultnay.

Much as I love Port Charlotte its unlikely I'll pay £175. Thats a Christmas whisky for us, and although its only March we've already bought it.

Deanston 12 is more than ok! Wonderful rough and complex sweetness.
Horses for courses I suppose. Like I say, I had a lovely indie bottling a few years ago. That encouraged me to try a distillery bottling, and I found that very middle of the road.

These seem good value. Signatory vintage 57.1% range. 3 bottles fell into my basket, fill yer boots

advertisement

Back