advertisement

Whisky II

Must admit I’ve avoided Glenmorangie for 20 odd years, but the 14yo Quinta Ruban has piqued my interest. Similar spec to Tomatin’s Port Cask, which is bloody lovely

These seem good value. Signatory vintage 57.1% range. 3 bottles fell into my basket, fill yer boots
Reviews of the Blair Athol (which being a sherry-bomb appears to have sold out*) and Ardmore:
Reviews of the Tullibardine, Blair Athol, Ardmore:
And from Whisky Jason:

*Haven't seen the range appear on Whisky Exchange, MOM or HOM yet.

After sober reflection, I’ll be keeping my wallet closed. Just back from a few days on Islay for joint 60th celebrations. I bought a bottle of An Oa at Ardbeg for £55, only to find its £48 on MoM. Hey ho, guess I got swept up in the romanticism of the location. Whole bottle got drunk anyway, along with some Kilchoman and Caol Ila. Feck it, you can't put a price on memories.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
After sober reflection, I’ll be keeping my wallet closed. Just back from a few days on Islay for joint 60th celebrations. I bought a bottle of An Oa at Ardbeg for £55, only to find its £48 on MoM. Hey ho, guess I got swept up in the romanticism of the location. Whole bottle got drunk anyway, along with some Kilchoman and Caol Ila. Feck it, you can't put a price on memories.
Currently £47.25 on MoM but add postage too…it’s then £52.20 so don’t feel too bad about £55. Given the amount you imbibed, personally I’d be struggling for memories 😂. I expect you had help polishing off the bottle(s).

OK you smart whisky guys - I haven't bought a single malt for years and years and I'm appalled by the prices of malts I used to buy and enjoy.

So what is your rock bottom economy recommendation for a single malt? Not too sweet, though, and more like the West coast ones. We're not going to get Lagavulin or Ardbeg at economy prices, but what's the closest?

I'd also consider a decent blended whisky if it tasted similar. I have Lidl, Tesco, Waitrose and Sainsbury close. Majestic also possible. Lidl does Ben Bracken which I like, so that's a start.
Given your mention of Laga and Ardbeg, I'm guessing 'West coast' will include peat. In which case, one of the cheaper expressions of Bunnahabhain might suit. And the other is unpeated if not. If you can't decide which, there's a bundle offer on That Amazon ATM:

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Given your mention of Laga and Ardbeg, I'm guessing 'West coast' will include peat. In which case, one of the cheaper expressions of Bunnahabhain might suit.

I have good memories of Ardbeg but it was pretty radical stuff. I used to drink malts 20 years ago with just water.

These days I drink very little, a bottle lasts me for weeks. And usually with ice, and I'm finding I like the Ben Bracken Speyside that way. Quite refreshing. So not necessarily West coast. I don't like sweet e.g. Aberlour and I don't drink JD or bourbon. Open to more ideas.

I've obviously gone very lowbrow compared to the whisky connoisseurs here. I'd put my limit at under £30 a bottle. So a good blended whisky is totally possible, though malts preferred.

I have good memories of Ardbeg but it was pretty radical stuff. I used to drink malts 20 years ago with just water.

These days I drink very little, a bottle lasts me for weeks. And usually with ice, and I'm finding I like the Ben Bracken Speyside that way. Quite refreshing. So not necessarily West coast. I don't like sweet e.g. Aberlour and I don't drink JD or bourbon. Open to more ideas.

I've obviously gone very lowbrow compared to the whisky connoisseurs here. I'd put my limit at under £30 a bottle. So a good blended whisky is totally possible, though malts preferred.
Apologies, then. The unpeated Bunna Stiuireadair is £37, currently, and usually around £40 so probably not the recommendation you were asking for.

Apologies, then. The unpeated Bunna Stiuireadair is £37, currently, and usually around £40 so probably not the recommendation you were asking for.

It's £27 at Sainsbury's with a Nectar card per my recommend above:
Offer price on Amazon was £25 for aeons but seems to have risen to £27 since last March. Note that I am getting a Subscribe and Save price of £31.85 currently.

It's £27 at Sainsbury's with a Nectar card per my recommend above:

Offer price on Amazon was £25 for aeons but seems to have risen to £27 since last March. Note that I am getting a Subscribe and Save price of £31.85 currently.
That's interesting! I, too, seemed to remember getting the Stiuireadair for around £25. That was in my mind when I made the recommendation.

For a cheap Islay, I'd recommend Finlaggan, though it is still above your £30 mark. Not so long ago it was about £30, but edging up now.

If you want a classic mix of fire, salt, and sweet, then Talisker 10 was occasionally reduced to £26 at Sainsburys, but Diageo's reign of terror seems to have put an end to that.

advertisement

Back