advertisement

Whisky II

173060450.ZQuAJNq6.sk202.jpg

173060451.RoKluP1J.sk203.jpg

173060453.sJume9Dq.sk205.jpg

173060452.HDNbPyoM.sk204.jpg

Nice trip to Raasay today including a visit to the lovely distillery there. We picked up a bottle of gin and a battle of their standard whisky - this one I'll be drinking, unlike the one I got in the ballot for their first release. The bottom picture is the view across the Sound of Raasay to Skye from right in front of the distillery.

I remember Amazon's pricing algorithm (actually I suspect human error) had a massive wobble in 2021 and it was briefly £28. Bought two.

Just checking orders and on the same day Port Charlotte 10 was £32 and Ardbeg An Oa £30.74.
Happy Days.

I’m travelling today so thought it would be worth taking a couple of distillery samples I picked up over the summer with me to the hotel. I’m to old to go out with the younger members of my team and glad of it

Laphroaig Cairdeas is thoroughly good but in no way great, hits all the right highlights; salty, fruity, medicinal and smoky notes are there but it’s all done a little too carefully, dare I say clinically. I suspect the marketing department are in the driving seat on this one. Convinced me that the 10 year old Cask Strength Batch 15 is the bargain.

Octomore 8.2, drawn from the cask, is as delightful this evening as it was at the distillery in June. Heavy, round, delicate, punchy, tenacious and utterly open. I don’t think you could find a more complete feeling of contentment in a bottle. The best bit is I still have another at home.

Going the USA in a couple of weeks. What rare unobtainium (in the UK) bourbon should I try to get?
Look out for a bottle of Pappy gathering dust at the back of a shelf at the local 7-Eleven..
Failing that, I'm out of touch, but anything barrel proof is hard to come by over here (Rare Breed excepted)... Stagg, Weller, Knob Creek, Bookers, Elijah, EH Taylor...fill yer boots. I really enjoyed Balcones single malt (Texan).

Going the USA in a couple of weeks. What rare unobtainium (in the UK) bourbon should I try to get?
Due to internet ordering, it’s not so much what is unobtainable here compared to the US, it’s the price. Having said that, I do sometimes see bottles reviewed that aren’t usually available over here. Perhaps a distillery visit would provide the opportunity to buy a unique bottle. Bourbon is generally much cheaper in the states than here. But if you get clobbered for import duty on your return then that would wipe out any gains.

You don’t say where you’re travelling, but I was in San Francisco a few years back and was very disappointed at the duty free shop at SF Int. Airport- pricey and very limited selection. Better to buy in the US and take your chance with customs. IIRC you’re limited to one litre of spirits in any case.

Due to internet ordering, it’s not so much what is unobtainable here compared to the US, it’s the price. Having said that, I do sometimes see bottles reviewed that aren’t usually available over here. Perhaps a distillery visit would provide the opportunity to buy a unique bottle. Bourbon is generally much cheaper in the states than here. But if you get clobbered for import duty on your return then that would wipe out any gains.

You don’t say where you’re travelling, but I was in San Francisco a few years back and was very disappointed at the duty free shop at SF Int. Airport- pricey and very limited selection. Better to buy in the US and take your chance with customs. IIRC you’re limited to one litre of spirits in any case.

Will be in Boston but a colleague is in Indy and access to a huge Bourbon shop also travelling to Boston.

Agreed on internet ordering but limited availability hits the better cask strength stuff as well. I am targeting 1792 Full Proof as one.

Spirit limit is 4 litres

I’ve decanted the remains…mmm, can really appreciate the caramel colorant now.. bit shit for a new bottle though (thankfully it’s the Quarter Cask)

Opened the Lagavulin 8 while we caught up on Shetland. Can’t remember the 16 in detail but the 8 is very good and at 48% carries plenty of flavour including that leather/wet Barbour jacket undertone. Extremely pale (no added colorant I think I read upthread). In summary, a pleasing bottle if you like Islay styles and affordable compared to the frankly-taking-the-piss pricing of the 16.

Having got a refund from Amazon for my non-delivered Glenallachie 15, I reordered. I’ve had two tries at it…it’s disgusting, undrinkable. Bitter, no real sherry taste, it’s badly tainted in some way. It smells sweet and sherried but the taste is very different to the aroma. I hope I can get a refund.

Having got a refund from Amazon for my non-delivered Glenallachie 15, I reordered. I’ve had two tries at it…it’s disgusting, undrinkable. Bitter, no real sherry taste, it’s badly tainted in some way. It smells sweet and sherried but the taste is very different to the aroma. I hope I can get a refund.

That's not right as I've half a bottle left and it's a superb dram!

Very sherried; a bit too much for me but still very drinkable!

I had a bottle of the 15, and took it away on holiday with me last year. Wasn't impressed, but it was polished off over three or four days, and perhaps more time opened would have improved it?

advertisement

Back