advertisement

Which Uni courses are likely to lead to jobs in future ?

I thought they looked like a great opportunity for youngsters
they are great post 18 opportunities (instead of a traditional degree) delivered in HE.

Lower level (levels 2 and 3) apprentiships are great for GCSE holders, and will be delivered (typically) by FE (post 16) colleges

that sentence feels full of disdain - presumably not an ex poly? A mere 1960s red brick?
LOL, City University, London. Hated it there as it was too right wing for me. But to give them credit over 97% of engineering grads found employment straight off the bat at that time.

The book learning is mandatory because well over half of what will be in the exams is never taught in the lectures. So if you're not great at learning from reading, then university really isn't for you.

I'm inclined to agree. It may best suit those who *like* learning the subject via reading. FWIW when I lectured I would write a 'book' first that covered the lectures. Then told the students to "take a free copy of the printed lecture notes (book) and/or read the Scots Guide(1). Come to the lectures to check you've understood and pick up a little more info, ans ask questions".

(1) In essence the website grew with the lecture books.

According to Neil Lawrence, AI's first "target" should be making software developers redundant. If AI is so clever, you should be able to instruct it to code your own app.

TBH I'm wary of AI (Amplified Idiocy) as I suspect it will:

1) Amplify the "Twerper Effect" where what people 'believe' will become embedded because it gets echoed so much as to swamp out noticing mere relatity.

2) The 'cloud server' demands will come to demand a LOT of energy. Which in turn may mean the Ai denies this and generates a lot of fantasy to cloud (pun alert) the view.

It may also eat a lot of jobs. Fine for the ultra-rich, but a problem for the rest of us mere humans.

I’ve always considered the idea of anyone choosing a degree to get a job a sure sign of bovine stupidity. I’m not sure that doing a degree to get a degree is much better.
What's the point of a degree (or some other qualification), if not to help improve the odds of securing a job in a field that you might like to work in?

Last edited:
You don't need a degree to exercise curiosity.
Yeah, and I've been doing that for about 40 years since I did it, don't know where the piece of paper is and have never been asked to show it to anybody. But having three years just to focus on that, be immersed and to learn about it was the only reason I did it. I really enjoyed it too.

According to Neil Lawrence, AI's first "target" should be making software developers redundant. If AI is so clever, you should be able to instruct it to code your own app.
I think that AI can write code at the "App toolkit" end of the market.
What is probably cannot do is write requirements and test properly, many humans cannot either.

I work in the rail EMC industry and I can guess that AI will be very good at producing specifications based on what has been done before. Fortunately the standards and best practice have moved on, but "learning" from the past will more "cut and paste" work, obsolete since 1980, but done like that because most engineers don't read the standards. It's funny when I get a project contract specifying something withdrawn in the last century. I don't expect AI to improve this as the newer standards are efficiently paywalled.

Yeah, and I've been doing that for about 40 years since I did it, don't know where the piece of paper is and have never been asked to show it to anybody. But having three years just to focus on that, be immersed and to learn about it was the only reason I did it. I really enjoyed it too.
No doubt there are some fascinating subjects taught at university, and yours might have been some of those. But in today's context when you have to pay or borrow significant sums of money and/or sacrifice earnings to obtain a degree, I find it odd that you'd think the goal is not to improve earning potential for some form of return on investment.

That being said, I somewhat agree that going to university aimlessly to get the easiest degree is likely a waste of time if you have no interest in the subject. In this respect, there is a lot to be gained in a gap year or two while you try to figure out what you'd like to do.

advertisement

Back