advertisement

Which Turntabe for £600?

I guess that depends on if you like what it sounds like, I couldn't live with the pre Keel version. Personally with £600 I'd probably get a technics 1210 or the RP6 in the classifieds.

My main deck is a keeled LP12 and the keel was a massive upgrade, not happening at £600 though. :D

Can't go wrong with either of those, a well fettled sl1210 is a class act. I'm tempted to have a shot at that funk vector on the bay though, although I have a P5 with TT PSU and tango spinner sub platter and 2M black cart so I'm not sure it'd beat that. They are good decks, and something a little different too.

Heybrook TT2 with a cast aluminium chassis, easily leaves cash for arm/cart and as good as many LP12's and rather more individual... for the Saab drivers

RP3, like Mr. D. says and work your way up from there. Don't forget to get the Rega wall bracket for it, as that is rather essential to the sound and keep the armcable well away from any powersupplies.

One in Classifieds for just a little more I think. No cart though.

It's more than the OP wants to spend, but if I was starting out, I would buy one at that price. By the time you buy a new RP3 and add a TTPSU, you've got the same price and the RP6 is a better deck. Better looking too.

Sorry I don't want to hijack this thread but since Christmas, I am so very enthusiastic about what I did to my Aurora Gold: I was never very convinced about its sound and attributed it to the springy subchassis plate that was a pig to level as well. It is now supported by a makeshift rod and totally level and the increase spacious 3D sound, musical detail and calmness and easiness within the vast soundstage has me totally spellbound and one happy bunny, night and day difference!
Give it a try.

http://s189.photobucket.com/user/robvanloon/media/Arora Gold Upgrade/DSC01592.jpg.html
So.... start a new thread and give us some details on your thinking Rob and development Rob :)

The Acoustic Research XA is a superb turntable,
and its arm is much better than people think.
I run a Denon DL110 MC cartridge in mine.
The combination works perfectly.

I have an LP 12 with an Entre MC.
I am not sure it's that much better...

The major problem is that people have
realised how good the XA is and
prices are rising.
Ed. Villchur knew what he was doing.

I find Torstoi's observations about the sound characteristics of different designs interesting. I've listened to little but jazz since moving from a suspended deck to an RP6 - something to do with its rendering of attack, I think. But I do miss the easygoing sound of the Thorens, and the sense of space. Never listen to dub anymore.

Of course how much this is down to the basic design principle rather than cart, arm, idiosyncrasies of the particular decks I don't know. I'm curious enough (and miss dub enough) to have sought out pieces for a nice Thorens 125 system which I'll be putting together soon to run alongside the Rega. Cost of that will be about £600, by the way (and to get back on topic).

For some reason I have it in my head that a Gyrodec or Orbe would represent the best of both worlds.

TTs are very easy to repair and service if one has the inclination and a modicum of technical skill. Idlers can be a bit awkward but belt drive designs are less complex than a bicycle and a damn sight easier to get running properly. LP12s in particular are very simple indeed. The Tiefenbrun myth of them being delicate precision instruments still hangs around, but take the base off and marvel at how little stuff there is under there to go wrong.

Worn springs, worn bearings, aging electronics, dodgy motors, and that's before you get to the arm...It's enough to keep you busy, and depending on the deck it can get quite expensive getting hold of spares. But yes it's mostly do-able even for the inept.

Food for thought indeed.

A new RP3, a used RP6 or a well used LP12 seem to be the most popular answers which is what I was thinking anyway.

I don't mind tinkering so the Linn is a consideration providing I can source a decent one.

ATB Ray

if I were in the market i'd be very curious about this direct drive one, and upgrade the cartridge to get to your price. Looks like a decent Jelco arm which also could be upgraded at a later time.

Perhaps, for £600, a good CDP or BDP might also be a good option, especially with all the excellent DACs around :)

For £600 I'd get a great Japanese direct drive turntable with a very good cart. Actually, there's not any need for that kind of money. You can get an Acutex 312 for £45 and the rest on the best Sony turntable you can find.

Because there's least to go wrong, belt drives are your best bet. I'd just look at the adverts until something decent comes along..and it usually does. Best not too be too specific, although an old but clean Linn would be my choice.
The 'classics' are classic for a reason.

advertisement

Back