advertisement

Which Turntabe for £600?

I'm sure you'll get lots of nice recommendations.

I was in your position a few years ago and bought a used 1982 LP12 on here for £500. I've changed a lot of parts on it since and the sound has become more "refined" as a result but in original form it sounded (and looked) very nice.

Don't fret too much about the stylus btw: a new AT95E stylus is very good and only around £30.

I'd be looking at a decent vintage DD turntable for that sort of money - I picked up my Sony PS-6750 for 300 quid and - being blunt - it'll pretty much see off anything you'll get for your budget. That'll leave you £300 for a decent cartridge.

Made my father's recently-acquired Rega P5 (with TTPSU) sound like a toy.

i would like some recommendations please. I would consider new or used. Must include the arm and stylus.

ATB Ray

I think you need to consider a number of things. Like what kind of music you like to listen to, how much work you expect to put into the turntable once you have it, and have you got a phono stage already? Also, will you need a sprung turntable or a fixed plinth? This last one might depend on what you will place the turntable on.

All things considered, you might find a new turntable like the Rega RP3 with it's simple 3-point cartridge mounting system easier to start with.

An LP12, late pre Cirkus, Valhalla, with an Akito,RB300 or Basik LVV/LVX and something like a Nagaoka MP110. Should come in on budget, or close, and would be far better than any Rega RP6 at playing music.

If you fancy listening old Jazz classics, I'd avoid suspended designs, personally.

Generally my impression over the years was that the suspension demands some care or to be looked after, which...no big surprise, a non suspended deck does not demand.

That's one point less to look after, which may suit you.

Also suspended decks are said to add a certain coloration to the music & some like that, there's nothing bad about it.

I came to the personal conclusion that I had light probs with suspension, but never the problem that I was missing suspension factors in an unsuspended deck.

I sense unsuspended as having a more dircet punch if it comes to dynamic events & I obviously like that aspect.

Maybe you could give a bit of an idea what you think of estetically, bc you can have great decks of all sorts & many ways lead to a great result if you walk them with consequence.

Wooden plinth ? 60s style ? 80s japanese appearance ?
do you like Rega looks in general, or more a classic look a la LP12 ?
can it be a DJ deck like the Technics 1210, too?

I'd choose an optical or design appearance you would prefer (or exclude)
and take it from there.

You can get very good results with a number of different designs..

An LP12, late pre Cirkus, Valhalla, with an Akito,RB300 or Basik LVV/LVX and something like a Nagaoka MP110. Should come in on budget, or close, and would be far better than any Rega RP6 at playing music.

It would, and later on swapping the arm for a Nima would have you a stunning turntable.

There is a lot to consider at £600, if a good LP12 could be scored in budget then it'd be a very good choice, it's possible to land a bit of a dog at this level if you're not careful and don't know what you're looking out for (dying Valhalla, worn suspension, sticky arm bearings) so do be aware.

For something newer at this price I'd suggest either a Roksan radius 5 it a funk firm vector, there is one on eBay at the moment at £575 with an RB300 fitted, I have been tempted to give it ago myself.

It would, and later on swapping the arm for a Nima would have you a stunning turntable.

I guess that depends on if you like what it sounds like, I couldn't live with the pre Keel version. Personally with £600 I'd probably get a technics 1210 or the RP6 in the classifieds.

I would look at new Rega or Project. I would not entertain any used turntable and certainly not an LP12.

advertisement

Back