advertisement

Which picture machine and lens?

I would prefer a viewfinder.

I am currently scanning X100s on ebay but they fetch more than I want to pay.

Increasingly leaning towards the XE-1 plus prime or the zoom. I must admit I find the X100S nice and almost perfect for me. Might sell an organ :).

There are 5 x X100S at mpb as well

I tried the 27mm with my X100, thinking it would replace my X100, it didn't, I've kept the X100 and sold on both the X-E1 and 27mm.

If you intend to use it for landscapes, then it has a useful built in ND filter as well (X100 or S)

After much deliberation, looking around and almost getting a headache I have narrowed the choice down to an Olympus OMD E10 MkII.

It seems the best compromise of features, size and quality for what I can afford. I will most likely buy a prime with it but perhaps just stick to the kit zoom. I also like the look of it.

In the end it was between this, a Nikon 5500 or Fuji XE-2. I have discounted the Nikon only because of size and the Fuji because it seems to offer somewhat less than the Olympus, including slower autofocus and the lenses are more expensive.

I don't want to let technical things come too much between me and photography. It has to be nice to hold, quick to use and light to pack and affordable. (I would probably buy s/h as cash is tight).

Does anyone think this is a bad choice?

Thanks

A highly rated camera and some excellent lenses. Front what I've seen, you'll take excellent photos with whatever you use. So it's just a matter of choosing something that you are comfortable using.

Its not a bad choice, its difficult to buy a 'bad' camera.

I understand the comments about the Fuji, but I'm not sure with the latest firmware that the Fuji AF would be any slower, but lenses (especially primes) are expensive. The latest firmware makes the X-E2 effectively an X-E2S.

The Nikon will have the fastest AF but as you say is bulkier.

Whatever you choose, you'll take some great pictures, given your current phone camera output, looking forward to it.

it's just a matter of choosing something that you are comfortable using.

This ^^

I'm a total Fuji fan, but was handling an Olympus Pen digital at a lecture last night. the camera has a "live bulb" view so that you can watch the exposure develop during long exposures - sounds a really nice feature and the camera feels good in the hand. I'll stick with Fuji as I'm primarily a lens fanatic, and the Fuji primes are up there with the very best.

Yes, money no objective, I would probably get one of those lovely fujis just coming out. They seem to cover most things. The lenses seem superb too.

Perhaps in the future if I decide to take it up properly.

Yes, money no objective, I would probably get one of those lovely fujis just coming out. They seem to cover most things. The lenses seem superb too.

Perhaps in the future if I decide to take it up properly.

The fuji lenses are more expensive because they are better. Whether this matters or not is a different question.

I used to shoot a canon 1Ds II with their cheap 50/1.8 lens, so a £5k camera with a £50 lens on the front. This combo worked really well for me for the few occasions I needed faster than f/2.8, where I had other better options. I'm sure a more expensive 50mm lens would have given me better image quality, but the joy of the 50/1.8 was that it was so small and light you could chuck it in your bag alongside a zoom without really thinking about it. When you needed it, it was there...

Anyhow, back on topic, the E10 II looks lovely, and is certainly small. The question is really whether the micro 4/3rds sensor is big enough to give you the image quality you want - if you aren't after really narrow depth of field shots, or shooting in the dark, i'd expect it to be absolutely fine.

http://www.johnlewis.com/olympus-pe...le-touch-monitor-silver/p2525603?colour=Black

Not a bad price for the body/lens package.

I am currently 'slumming it' with a matching pair of Sony DSC RX100 IV and HX90V cameras but the RX100 IV (permanently set to B&W high contrast) is soooo nice. I love it. The HX90V is brilliant for the longer range stuff with it's cheap, compact, 30x zoom and 5 axis image stabilisation.

Hi chebby. I have seen examples of your photography (Pearls). Very nice.

I am currently flogging a few bits and pieces to fund a camera purchase. I did look at the Sony's too.

advertisement

Back