advertisement

Which picture machine and lens?

drummerman

pfm Member
Is the Fuji 16-50mm f3.5-5.6 XC OIS a good choice as an all-round lens or should I stick with a prime?

I only really want one lens to deliberately make me work harder at composing plus I don't want to carry lenses around.

Also, are there any macro rings I could use?

I am undecided yet between a cheap XE-1 and perhaps a OM D-5 or 10. Perhaps even a small DSLR bit I guess there is little point as I won't buy into a huge lens system. However, if the quality justifies it I will perhaps go that way.

Main criteria is to be able to put it into a small back pack or man bag (Courier style) without weighing me down to much. Finally some robustness would be nice.

Also, I will probably want to make the odd large print, small poster size (larger than A3) without impairing quality. Is this possible with any of the above?

Any advise much appreciated. I am getting more confused the more I look into it and that's exactly what I want to avoid. Photography first, hardware a long second.

Thank you.

Agreed, I'd say the X100 might be a good match for you, and it'd certainly cut the weight down. The only reason to get an interchangeable lens camera is if you want to change lenses ;-)

The XE-1 is still fine, i've been out and about with mine and a recently purchased 18-55 and this makes a good and light enough travelling combo for good quality images. The primes are all good, so if you want to go with one of these instead, i'd suggest the 18/2 as a good starting point.

Printing, I think a 12mp camera is fine for A3 printing so long as you aren't expecting to be able to crop heavily and still get the quality. So, if you think you are going to be using a prime but then cropping down to make a print, the zoom might be a better option, but there are enough pixels in these cameras to make fine prints.

Thank you all.

The X100S indeed looks nice. Expensive though even s/h.

I will read into it

Seems the S model is a substantial improvement on the original.

Agreed with everyone else. The X100 (in any guise) is a wonderful camera. I think it would be perfect for you :)

Lefty

The S has an X-Trans Sensor, Faster AF and closer working distance, that said the X100 is lovely thing and there is something quite special about the images that it produces.

An s/h X100 should be £200-£300, but make sure the serial no starts 21, as earlier models had a sticky blade issue

An s/h X100S will be around £400-£450

An s/h X-E1 + s/h XC16-50 would set you back around £225-£250

Jem is the person to respond regarding larger prints from Fuji X cameras, but a lot depends on the viewing distance, if a large print is to be viewed at a distance, it won't be a problem, and I've seen A1 prints from an X100 that looked great, but get in close you will notice inevitable upscaling artefacts.

This might help with X100 and macro http://thirtyfivemill.com/reviews/m...-fujifilm-x100-bw-close-up-10-diopter-filter/

Indeed! I've gone up to 120cm x 80cm on canvas from X-E1 images, and they look great - so basically, you can print as big as you want without worries.

I started with an X100 and not having interchangeable lenses I consider a plus, not a minus, as all you need to do is pick up your camera, and go. My current carry around is an X-E2 with the excellent 27mm pancake - overall slightly smaller than the X100, but I am then tempted to take another lens wit me, just in case, and then another... and so on... The 16-55 is pretty good, but watch the plastic mount - they are breakable, and in the final analysis, the primes are quite a lot better, but they are quite a lot better than most lenses on the market at any price!

A lot of praise for Fuji.

I thought the X100 was smaller than an XE1 or 2 for some reason.

I'm reading up about the options on the above models.

I bought a s/h x100s last year. I'm still getting to grips with it (my photography skills are minimal) but it handles really well, takes excellent pictures and is extremely portable. I can see why some people are happy to have it as their only camera as it is just a 'chuck it in the pocket' as you are leaving the house but capable of excellent results.

No doubt there are other options but it would seem to answer the criteria you have laid out.

[EDIT] Battery life isn't great so maybe budget for a spare or 2!

Good luck with your decision,
John

I have a brand new X-E2 body in the classifieds, stick a 23 f2 or 35 f2 on it and away you go and you have the flexibility to build a lens set along the way. Those lenses should be superior to the 23 on the X100.

I have had prints from my XT-1 (same sensor as the XE-1) up to 1.5m by 1m with excellent results.

An XE-1 (or XE-2) with the 27mm lens is quite compact and you have the option of other lenses later if you feel the need. If you want a level of ruggedness the a plastic mount may not meet that requirement. For a zoom pay the extra for the 18-55 for its build quality and it really is a very good lens.

I have not used an X100 in any of its variants so cannot comment directly.

A second battery is advisable. You can also use the viewfinder and turn off the LCD for a little more battery life.

If size and weight are crucial aspects, my vote would go for the Olympus OMD cameras and some form of pancake lens (either the cheap pancake 14-42 zoom or a pancake prime). Fast AF, good build, excellent IQ.

Pro friends of mine in the photo pit at concerts tote around small OMD-1s whilst everyone else is shooting Canikons apart from me on Leicas. The M43 sensor on the OMDs is perfectly capable of doing large prints to A3+.

I have an x100 ,xe2 and an em5 which I can't part with. The x100 is the one I love. I enjoy the xe2 and have the 18-55 which is a great lens and the em5 is a machine despite being old and paired with the 17 or 25mm primes is really compact. If I had to grab one it would be the x100 though.

Do also look at the Ricoh GR II, smaller than the X100 range, with incredible picture quality and actually fits in your pocket. Had both and whilst the X100 does have a better flash the GR is smaller and lighter and that means you take it everywhere.

Do also look at the Ricoh GR II, smaller than the X100 range, with incredible picture quality and actually fits in your pocket. Had both and whilst the X100 does have a better flash the GR is smaller and lighter and that means you take it everywhere.

Also look at the Fuji X70 - similar to the Rocoh in size, but same sensor as the X100 I believe. Only issue for me on both of these options is lack of viewfinder - for some reason I can't get on with just a screen. Ricoh cameras have been consistently excellent - dating back to the film days, but have never achieved the popularity they deserve.

At X70 budget, consideration should be given to Panasonic LX100 and Sony RX100 series, the latter is small and pocketable.

I suspect that a bit of budget creep is going on here, man-maths on the loose again!!!

Many opportunities to fill the requirements. Few would be wrong.

The premium Panasonic compacts like the LX or the Sony X100. Also the Canon G1X. Olympus and Panasonic's Micro 4/3 range or the likes of the Nikon1 system, the AW1 is waterproof to 15m. Add the Fuji options and the choice is bewildering.

As an intro I like the idea of a Fuji XE-1 with the 27mm lens. It offers great image quality and an upgrade path if wanted. An M43 with a pancake zoom is also a good option, I used to have one and it was compact and lightweight.

Mr P, you are spot on with "Man Maths".

advertisement

Back