advertisement

which one make vinyl system?

Anything but SME.

If they wish to abuse their long-term user base, and prospective clients, they can have that right back at them.

Buying today, I'd be into Audio Note UK and also Kuzma. Maybe Scheu, for old times' sake.
SME make excellent sounding decks. Yes I own one as have LP 12 & Orbe SE. Great decks also SME have the knack of taking you right into the recording. What did you not like ?

Rega or Roksan. It would have been Linn but you’d have to buy a DSM streamer/preamp if you’re buying new, which means you can’t buy a vinyl only Linn system new!

Surely to have a 'vinyl only' by your standard, the amp would have only one input? You can buy a Linn TT, arm, cartridge, preamp (which can be used as a streamer, but it's optional if you arent fussed) and active speakers e.g. Akudorik. That's a one make vinyl only system.

Surely to have a 'vinyl only' by your standard, the amp would have only one input? You can buy a Linn TT, arm, cartridge, preamp (which can be used as a streamer, but it's optional if you arent fussed) and active speakers e.g. Akudorik. That's a one make vinyl only system.
Whether you use the streamer or not, you still have to buy it, and it’s there permanently in the system therefore it isn’t a vinyl only system... as it happens, this is far from a problem for me, I’m a long term user of the Linn DS platform and I like it a lot... but I couldn’t call a system with a DS vinyl only.

One point, I had a vinyl only system in my bedroom, not one make, it consisted of a Rega Planar 3, Naim Nait3r and MK1 Rega Elas, the amp had other inputs but as it stood, there was only one source, a turntable, making it a vinyl only system.

SME make excellent sounding decks. Yes I own one as have LP 12 & Orbe SE. Great decks also SME have the knack of taking you right into the recording. What did you not like ?

They do. I'm just cross with them. It'll pass.

Still have an older, mark one 3009, the keeping of which has taken on a whole new perspective.

End to end? Uber budget, Audio Note; lower budget, Rega. What would be really interesting would be to directly compare the price overlap systems.

advertisement

Back