advertisement

Which (if any) of your components are ‘end game’

Which (if any) of your components are endgame?

• Speakers

Votes: 167 59.2%
  • Power amp

Votes: 93 33.0%
  • Pre amp

Votes: 83 29.4%
  • Integrated amp

Votes: 55 19.5%
  • Turntable

Votes: 132 46.8%
  • Phono stage

Votes: 68 24.1%
  • Cartridge

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • DAC

Votes: 56 19.9%
  • Streamer

Votes: 43 15.2%
  • CD

Votes: 61 21.6%

• Total voters
Streamer/DAC - Matrix Audio X-Sabre 3*
Integrated Amp - Avid Integra**
Speakers - B&W 802 D3

*Took me a long time to take the plunge on a dedicated streamer/DAC, rather than “a generic computer” into a DAC. Modern solutions such as my Matrix seam to offer all the flexibility I’ll likely need for years to come, supporting Roon, Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect and also Qobuz via the Matrix app (and Roon of course), plus Upnp and Apple Airplay 2

**I’m on a personal crusade to share how good this thing is. I’d never heard of it (and associated Avid with TTs only) until a month or so ago!

I imagine the the age of the respondent and how long they have been on the road to hifi perfection counts a lot in these lists.
Indeed. My end game system is what is left after I abandoned notions of hifi perfection.

My gloss white Rega RP6/Exact/Fono MK2 is all the vinyl replay I will ever need.

Speakers, CD, integrated amp may one day be replaced, but can't see it any time soon.

**I’m on a personal crusade to share how good this thing is. I’d never heard of it (and associated Avid with TTs only) until a month or so ago!
Looks interesting, and almost the exact opposite of what I’d want :)

Difficult one for me to decide. Would love to upgrade my LFD Mistral to their top model. Asked my wife and she tells me that what I have is all end game

Interesting question, I have a couple of items that will never leave the house so are those end-game? I don't think so, but I do keep going back to them, Nait 3 and MkI Kans if you are asking...

The source options have settled to a P6/Exact/Phono MM and a Yamaha WXC-50 for now, so not end-game.

As for amp and speakers in the main listening room? Today it's an Atom and Castle Knights with the P6, but tomorrow? Who knows where the fancy will take me...

Speakers first: Quad ESL57’s and Cabasse Galion 4. Totally different but complementary. According to the mood and to the music played – and the volume required :)
Then the amps. Big muscle Technics SE-A3 (a 30 kg monster power amp) for the Cabasses and Quad 33/303 obviously for the ESL.
Turntables? ReVox B790, Thorens TD160, Dual 1229. Various AT cartridges (let’s face it, the best at any price points, period).
Open reel: ReVox A77, B77, G36.
Cassette: Beocord 9000.
Receiver: Beomaster 8000 (the very best of all, the king).
CD: Philips CD100 (yes really), Micromega Stage 3, Arcam Delta 70.2, Quad CD66. I love the Philips sound.

3 bits of kit that are staying

A@R T21 FM tuner as I got it in the local paper years ago for £15 and it sounds lovely and gets a lot of use.
I would love a Naim 101 or 02 but for £400 - £500 it's a lot of money for a marginal gain.

The new Rega Saturn R.I never really enjoyed CD before always found it a bit cold and glassy sounding probably a amp speaker mismatch in the past.But the synergy with my Rega Aethos amp is superb.It's like a well set up turntable and you get drawn into the music.It's PRAT is fabulous.
I have brought a good 1000 CD's mainly from charity shops since getting it last year and I suppose that's what good kit should do make you get more music and enjoy.

Magneplaner 1.7 i .There the best speakers I have ever owned and they still stun me even now.
Would never go back to box speakers again.Shut your eyes and its a wall of sound their transparency and timbre and separation is magic.And best of all their transient speed is incredible.
And their so easy on the ear.I have never had listener fatigue because something like a bright treble etc starts to grate like my box speakers in the past...Like AE 1's.
Love them to bits :D

@Alex S Aha! I remember meeting you there, quite a few years ago now.
That was a good day - with Duncan, TK and DevB.

Still sorry I nearly sat on the restoration project in hand at the time -oh, so gauche.
ATB

The most enjoyable part of this 'hobby' is that there is no end game as such, as every time I think I've arrived at where I'd like to be something else comes along I like more. That said the Denafrips Terminator II and the Jays CD3 MK3 were a game changer and then along came the Avondale SE400 amps...see what I mean.

Too heavy, too big, too much muscle, reviews say play it loud. I probably would have loved it a few years ago when I had the Dynavector, MF9s and a big space.

Heavy - Yes
Big - ? It’s slightly bigger than some, but not much
Play Loud - Not at all necessary (and that’s really important to me), but will do loud in its stride if required.

I’m glad you like it. I’m nothing if not a crusader for gear I like. What have you compared it to?

advertisement

Back